AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya... hoping to get a little help on what sub(s) to go with for my new family room.

Looking to get the most bang for the buck in my 28x30x8 family room.
While I love the space for the entertainment and open nature.... it presents a nightmare for my budget/sub. The room is carpet on concrete, cinder block half walls and is open to the stairway and another small alcove space.

Nearfield placement might be possible.... but will likely not pass the WAF. I would have to try my best to get creative with furniture arrangement for her to not mind. Budget wise I would like to stay under $500. I leaning towards the PA-150. While I know it doesn't go very low it seems to have good output. Size isn't an issue and I have options for placement along any wall or any corner. I'm open to suggestions on what would work best. This system will be entirely for HT... no music beyond pandora/spotify on the WD Live. I also have no issues with multiple units. WAF is fine if there are four... as long as they aren't end tables.

So, Pro: HT use only, can be any size/shape/color, can have multiple and can corner load them

Con: $500 budget, most likely can't place nearby, huge space.

I have/had two BIC DV 1210s (sealed) that I use to use behind the couch in my previous house/great room. Unfortunately the amps decided to die at the same time and the best option I can find is the PE 250w plate amp at $120 a piece. Not sure if it is even worth it to try and do anything with them. Or buy DV1220s because the drivers look the same and I would have some spare parts? Or just trash them.

Also... is it worth saving to step up to a MultEQ XT32 AVR? Or is MultEQ XT sufficient? Right now I have and old Panny xr that I need to retire. I SHOULD have jumped on the Denon Amazon deal but I wanted to get the sub situation sorted first. The Panny is old but works... the sub are old and don't work. IF XT is sufficient I'll probably try and grab a Onkyo/Denon as the summer cuts roll out. IF XT32 is really gonna help my huge room/sub situation maybe I'll save up for the Onkyo 818.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
You'd get more benefit for the subwoofer out of buying a better subwoofer and spending less on the receiver than the Onkyo 818. MultEQ XT32 won't help you nearly as much as simply getting a better sub that plays well down to 20hz. Or be patient and see if Outlaw Audio puts the LFM-1 EX on sale for

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1416236/best-sub-s-form-y-room-and-budget#post_22142433

You'd get more benefit for the subwoofer out of buying a better subwoofer and spending less on the receiver than the Onkyo 818. MultEQ XT32 won't help you nearly as much as simply getting a better sub that plays well down to 20hz. Or be patient and see if Outlaw Audio puts the LFM-1 EX on sale for

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. So spend more on the Sub... less on the receiver. So XT32 won't matter as much as the lower response. Lets hope a can nab a Onkyo 709 or similar XT unit in the ~350 range then.

I registered with Outlaw. I did some research and it looks like when on sale the EX is 599 shipped and the plus is 499. Is the EX worth the extra 100 in my situation? Should I just put the extra 100 towards buying another plus down the road? I assume as good as the EX/Plus is I'm gonna need two for my size room correct?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It depends on your low end goals. The plus will be very solid down to 25hz. The EX will have a good deal more output under 30hz with slightly lower extension. Two of either would definitely be nice in a room your size. You should only consider either of these subs with the higher tuned both ports open mode, as your room is far to big for the single port mode to be useful.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
+1

Just so you know when receiver shopping, MultiEQ XT does not do more to EQ the subwoofer than regular MultiEQ. They each have the same amount of sub EQ filters (see the table at the bottom of this page ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts