AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at this Elemental Design A2 300. Is that the best sub in this range? My room is 15 * 20 * 12, open to kitchen and living room.

Also, Klipsch KSW-12 is only 250 bucks. Don't know if its good or not.... Any suggestion?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt48 /forum/post/15534721

I'm looking at this Elemental Design A2 300. Is that the best sub in this range? My room is 15 * 20 * 12, open to kitchen and living room.

Also, Klipsch KSW-12 is only 250 bucks. Don't know if its good or not.... Any suggestion?

The KSW subs aren't very good. If you're looking at an inexpensive Klipsch sub, I'd look at the Synergy Sub-12. I'd definitely go for the A2-300 over the KSW-12. The A2-300 should be better than the Sub-12 as well, but it's much better than the KSW-12.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I know for sure that the Klipsch Synergy Sub 12 is on sale all over the place. Sometimes for as cheap as $200. You just can't beat that for woofage you get.

The A2 300 "might" be better but not for what you can grab the Synergy for.

test,

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 /forum/post/15534981

I know for sure that the Klipsch Synergy Sub 12 is on sale all over the place. Sometimes for as cheap as $200. You just can't beat that for woofage you get.

The A2 300 "might" be better but not for what you can grab the Synergy for.

test,

Where the heck are you guys finding the Synergy Sub for that price?!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
They probably have buddies who work at Best Buy who will try to hook them up and then get fired for using their employee discounts for friends
. Happens all the time. Of course maybe somebody is finding it legitimately for $200, but that's quite rare.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I saw it for 278 once for that price not to shabby.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/15536328

They probably have buddies who work at Best Buy who will try to hook them up and then get fired for using their employee discounts for friends
. Happens all the time. Of course maybe somebody is finding it legitimately for $200, but that's quite rare.

No Way man,

Windsor Ontario, Best Buy, Boxing week blowout, got mine for $249. Reg was $499.

No shadie behavior here!....lol

test,

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
It's on sale here in whitby Ontario (best buy) for $299. Price good until thursday. Is this good deal for $299.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Okay, the sub 12 is on sale for only two more days ($299) at Best Buy. I haven't been able to audition the sub in the store and I don't want to miss out on a good thing if, in fact, it is as good some here claim. Is it worth the gamble???????

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wonder if Best Buy Canada will sell to the U.S. for that price??

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea /forum/post/15547043

Okay, the sub 12 is on sale for only two more days ($299) at Best Buy. I haven't been able to audition the sub in the store and I don't want to miss out on a good thing if, in fact, it is as good some here claim. Is it worth the gamble???????

Why not just read some reviews?

Google it or yahoo it or whatever....

I have it, i love it, can't beat it for the price Unless you find a good used "Higher End" sub.

You can always bring it back if you don't like it.

test,

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 /forum/post/15548234

Why not just read some reviews?

Google it or yahoo it or whatever....

I have it, i love it, can't beat it for the price Unless you find a good used "Higher End" sub.

You can always bring it back if you don't like it.

test,

I think I will pick one up tomorrow. From all accounts, it is at least a good deal in terms of the normal price (typically $499).

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea /forum/post/15548614

I think I will pick one up tomorrow. From all accounts, it is at least a good deal in terms of the normal price (typically $499).

a good deal not only in price, but in performance.

I don't think you're giving the synergy sub 12 a fair shake. Somehow you're assuming its not a very good sub at $499. I think it is even at $499. If you look through these threads people are agog at this thing being sold at less than $300 (new).

If your interested in a quality, great performing sub for a "regular" Home theater this is a great sub.

If you have a dedicated Home Theater then maybe not, but then you wouldn't be looking at anything in that price range.

I highly doubt you'll be returning this sub.

let us know what you think of it when you get it home!

test,

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The Hsu STF-2 is in your price range.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by test4echo101 /forum/post/15549037

a good deal not only in price, but in performance.

I don't think you're giving the synergy sub 12 a fair shake. Somehow you're assuming its not a very good sub at $499. I think it is even at $499. If you look through these threads people are agog at this thing being sold at less than $300 (new).

If your interested in a quality, great performing sub for a "regular" Home theater this is a great sub.

If you have a dedicated Home Theater then maybe not, but then you wouldn't be looking at anything in that price range.

I highly doubt you'll be returning this sub.

let us know what you think of it when you get it home!

test,

Well, I did it!! Picked up a sub 12 today for $299 from Best Buy. I can't wait to hook it up and see what its capable of. I am using it in a medium sized room (13x20) with medium priced electronics (Pioneer VSX-918, PS3) as well as medium priced speakers (tannoys). Are there any special settings in the sub/receiver I should be considering?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea /forum/post/15554977

Well, I did it!! Picked up a sub 12 today for $299 from Best Buy. I can't wait to hook it up and see what its capable of. I am using it in a medium sized room (13x20) with medium priced electronics (Pioneer VSX-918, PS3) as well as medium priced speakers (tannoys). Are there any special settings in the sub/receiver I should be considering?

Thanks

Yes. Look up the F3 of your Tannoy mains if they are sealed. That's the frequency where the bass begins to roll off and is measured -3 decibels below average to simplify it. You want to set your mains in the AVR menu to small and set the subwoofer crossover setting in the AVR to the next available point above the F3. Then be sure to connect the sub at the LFE in and disable the subs internal crossover. Basically the sub will be taking over the bass duties from the main speakers. You can adjust the crossover to your liking, as the point of crossover is a good starting point, for other factors in your room may influence actual low frequency response. If your mains are ported, start off with 80hz and work from there. Too high above 80Hz and audible material will be sent to the sub which will allow you to localize it, smeering your front soundstage.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea /forum/post/15555043

Hi Rick240,

I don't think the HSU is available in Canada.

Only shipped by them, no local distributor and that makes it really expensive.

Part of the reason I ended up with a Paradigm DSP-3100 (got it for $455 Cdn). It is really impressive - not sure what price folks in the US could get it for, it may fit the

1 - 20 of 24 Posts