AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know there are alot of posts on this, but I have some specific questions:

I am looking for a sub $300 subwoofer to complete my new home theater. Currently I have an Infinity 8" sub that came with the TSS-450 5.1 system.

I have been researching and have seen BIC H-100, HSU STF-1, PL-100, eD A2-300.

My question is this:

I am confused by how a subwoofer with an amplifier that delivers 1000-watt like the PL-100 can be rated worse then something such as the eD A2-300.

Additionally, is the PL-100 worse then the H-100?

ADDITIONALLY, I just purchased some Polk Audio RTi's and CSi for my front speakers, and the guys at that forum are telling me a PSW505 is the way to go. The Polk has a better RMS rating at 300-Watt and overall Dynamic at 460-W. However, this is an older sub and I have not heard much about it on sub-$300 threads. Why is this? Is it not up to par?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticalities /forum/post/18295085

My question is this:

I am confused by how a subwoofer with an amplifier that delivers 1000-watt like the PL-100 can be rated worse then something such as the eD A2-300.

Overall design is what counts. Plus, manufacturers will often fudge amp specs. At $300, something from HSU or eD are your best bets. The STF-2 goes on sale quite often and can be had for a little more than the STF-1 and well worth it.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticalities /forum/post/18295085

Hello,

I know there are alot of posts on this, but I have some specific questions:

I am looking for a sub $300 subwoofer to complete my new home theater. Currently I have an Infinity 8" sub that came with the TSS-450 5.1 system.

I have been researching and have seen BIC H-100, HSU STF-1, PL-100, eD A2-300.

My question is this:

Additionally, is the PL-100 worse then the H-100?

ADDITIONALLY, I just purchased some Polk Audio RTi's and CSi for my front speakers, and the guys at that forum are telling me a PSW505 is the way to go. The Polk has a better RMS rating at 300-Watt and overall Dynamic at 460-W. However, this is an older sub and I have not heard much about it on sub-$300 threads. Why is this? Is it not up to par?

Don't fall for the "snake oil" 1,000 peak watt spec of the PL-200. It's 250 watts rms.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As you know, Premier Acoustics PA-120 and BIC F12 are well regarded by individuals in this forum.

The Hsu STF-2 just went back up to ~$390 (with shipping) and the eD A2-300 to $415.

At this point, some individuals who have owned both the PL-200 and H100 (or F12) feel that the PL-200 is better than the F12.

There has been no direct comparison of the PL-200 with the STF-2 or eD A2-300.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18298345

Polk PSW-505

Infinity PS210

I have the polk in one of my theater rooms and it as awsome for the price. Had 2 energys before this PSW-505 blows them away.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
There should be a sticky with general buying guides by price range and needs like they did in the dvd forum years ago.

I'd be willing to start it but not sure I have enough knowledge (although I've been around the sub market) or pull around here though

Including any links to reviews, buying, owners threads ect.

This question comes up daily

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18300032

There should be a sticky with general buying guides by price range and needs like they did in the dvd forum years ago.

I'd be willing to start it but not sure I have enough knowledge although I've been around the sub market) or pull around here though

I totally agree Goonstopher. You have the respect and knowledge to do this. Having a list of various price denominations with recommended subs would be a great idea.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have been pondering this too and decided the PL-200 was the best for me. A2-300 might be a little better in performance, but for me it's ugly, and currently the wait times are 2-3 months, and there have been a good many amp issues lately. Plus it's $80 more at the old price, and nearly $150 at the new price. The other ones on your list also had me curious, but compared to the PL-200, they didn't quite measure up. You can make an offer on some of the sites that offer the PL-200 for $270 and they will accept, as you can see in a few other threads. The H-100 I don't think is better than the PL-200, not sure how it could be. Of course i have heard neither, but looking at the specs I don't see how.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was in the same position as you.

I originally wanted the f12, but got sick of waiting. So I started looking at the pa-120, pl-200 and a2-250.

From my research, I learned the pa-120 did not come with a bash amp, so I took that off my list (not real efficient). Not having a bash amp might not make it bad, but I see high end subwoofers have bash amps.

Next I looked at the pl200. It looked promising, 22hz, made by the same people as the h100. Some even say the amp looks the same as the stf-2's amp. However, the lack of information made me avoid it.

So finally I thought about the a2-250. It looked good, but only being 25 bucks cheaper than the a2-300 was last week made me not want to pay that much. Plus, I did not know the shipping charge, and I did not want to wait for them to build it.

So after all that, I paid $203 for the h100. There is plenty of info on it. It may not be the best, but it is supposed to be really good.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamac_man /forum/post/18302001

I was in the same position as you.

I originally wanted the f12, but got sick of waiting. So I started looking at the pa-120, pl-200 and a2-250.

From my research, I learned the pa-120 did not come with a bash amp, so I took that off my list (not real efficient). Not having a bash amp might not make it bad, but I see high end subwoofers have bash amps.

Next I looked at the pl200. It looked promising, 22hz, made by the same people as the h100. Some even say the amp looks the same as the stf-2's amp. However, the lack of information made me avoid it.

So finally I thought about the a2-250. It looked good, but only being 25 bucks cheaper than the a2-300 was last week made me not want to pay that much. Plus, I did not know the shipping charge, and I did not want to wait for them to build it.

So after all that, I paid $203 for the h100. There is plenty of info on it. It may not be the best, but it is supposed to be really good.

The lack of info is the only thing bad about the PL-200, but considering it's made by the same people, looks to have a decent driver, at least as good or better than the H-100, and has a Bash amp, the same one from the STF-1, I'm willing to take a chance with it. Everything I have found about it has been positive.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/18300032

I'd be willing to start it but not sure I have enough knowledge (although I've been around the sub market) or pull around here though

Great idea!

Some probs would be moving price points and someone's willingness to keep it updated weekly. Also with so many choices it would be a helluva long list.

Maybe doable......

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane /forum/post/18302721

Great idea!

Some probs would be moving price points and someone's willingness to keep it updated weekly. Also with so many choices it would be a helluva long list.

Maybe doable......

It would not need to be weekly more like quarterly. The main value subs don't change that often. This year epik had a few new designs, ed did a couple but hsu and svs have been the same for some time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts