AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a home theater setup with Polk RM85 speakers. My subwoofer just broke, and I'd like to get the best replacement I can get for under $500. The room is a 15'x15' living room with some open walls to other rooms. Priority for the speakers is watching movies, music is important, but secondary.

I've seen that this question has been asked repeatedly here, and the usual suspects answers are HSU, SVS, and Elemental Designs, who all seem to have amazing bass output down to the 20Hz point. But I've also seen that these subs only go up to 100Hz, while others, for example Polk, go up to 160Hz and beyond. The RM85 speakers have a spec of 95Hz-24KHz, but I'm not sure how great they are when getting close to 95Hz.

Will the HSU/SVS/eD work better with my small satellite speakers than for example a Polk PSW505, or will they leave a bigger gap in the >100Hz area?

Any other suggestion (other than changing my satellites)?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Elemental Designs A2-300 comes in at $415 shipped, and the high pass goes up to either 160hz or 180hz. You can online chat to them or email to confirm, but it should mean that you loose nothing when paired with your speakers, and will sound great. I have the A2-300 in a slightly larger room, and I love it.

I would try crossing your speakers at 120hz and seeing how that works.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I'd go with the Epik Legend myself. I find that ported designs are harder to place making them easier to localize when you're running a crossover of 100Hz and up. That said, HSU and eD offer excellent subs at this price point.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey does anyone know which is the best 15" seal H.T subwoofer ignore the price for know my list is but u can add to it that ok first the

paradigm sub25,

velodyne dd15 plus

jl f113

seaton submersive hp

rythmik f15hp

please help me i need one that can do well for mucic and movie 35/65.

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/19533278

I'd go with the Epik Legend myself. I find that ported designs are harder to place making them easier to localize when you're running a crossover of 100Hz and up. That said, HSU and eD offer excellent subs at this price point.

I would second this suggestion. You're going to need a sub that's capable of excellent mid bass output as well as a nice bottom end.

The Legend definitely fits the bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.