·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which option should I go with?

Single SVS PB13-Ultra @ $1,999
Single Rythmik FV15HP @ $1,416
Dual Hsu VTF-15H MK2 @ $1967

It's 20x17 feet but it is an open floor plan. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea.

The room itself:

Connecting stairway:

Space adjacent to the room:

Room again with ceiling:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don't know much about these subs. I'd just offer to you that the lower you go, the more you want to lower/control your distortion since "if it moves, it distorts" and a subwoofer could be a creator of a lot of distortion.

I'd look into some of these horn loaded subs. Yes, they're large (freaking huge), they're heavy BUT, they will likely give you cleaner bass than a direct/radiator type sub.

Disclaimer: I own two Danley DTS-10 subs

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Which option should I go with?
Single SVS PB13-Ultra @ $1,999
Single Rythmik FV15HP @ $1,416
Dual Hsu VTF-15H MK2 @ $1967

Some questions:

Why are these what you're considering? Why not options from PSA, Reaction Audio, or Funk or...?
What's your usage (theater or music?)

Generally speaking, going dual is always going to be recommended over going with a single subwoofer. That said, there are options beyond what you've listed so I'm interested to hear why you chose what you did. You can go dual PSA V1500 for $1999 and I'd really strongly consider that option as well. Moreover, SVS and PSA both offer free in home trial with both-way shipping included.

The Rythmik FV15HP is probably the most highly regarded single subwoofer I've seen--and they do offer discounts on a pair if you call them. So you may want to explore that option as well.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
If you're not in a huge rush Reaction Audio's entire new lineup with new drivers and ICE power amps from SpeakerPower will be available in 4-6 weeks.
You could get dual Echo 15's for $1900 shipped or maybe the new ported 18 which is the Echo 18 for $1399 shipped. And then there's the new dual opposed 18, the Gamma 218 for only $1699 shipped!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some questions:

Why are these what you're considering? Why not options from PSA, Reaction Audio, or Funk or...?
What's your usage (theater or music?)

Generally speaking, going dual is always going to be recommended over going with a single subwoofer. That said, there are options beyond what you've listed so I'm interested to hear why you chose what you did. You can go dual PSA V1500 for $1999 and I'd really strongly consider that option as well. Moreover, SVS and PSA both offer free in home trial with both-way shipping included.

The Rythmik FV15HP is probably the most highly regarded single subwoofer I've seen--and they do offer discounts on a pair if you call them. So you may want to explore that option as well.
Honestly because out of all the subwoofers and the numbers I saw from data-bass, audioholics, and sound & vision. On numbers and data alone it seems that the Rythmik & Hsu are by far the best bang for buck you can get performance per dollar. I also added the SVS since I went ahead and got it for the 45 day trial. I'm just trying to decide if I should go the single route, or get dual Hsu's. The 15 Mk2 gets really close to the other subwoofers it seems and well I just wanted opinions from people who have possibly heard the options I listed in person, or all 3 in person.

Also with the dual PSA V1500 for $1999 from the numbers I have read it won't be as good as the Hsu 15 MK2 and they cost exactly the same?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Also with the dual PSA V1500 for $1999 from the numbers I have read it won't be as good as the Hsu 15 MK2 and they cost exactly the same?
They are nearly identical in terms of output. That said, output alone does not make the subwoofer. FWIW, I haven't personally listened to either of them at this point so I can't give any opinion. However, if you're including SVS due to the free trial, I'd recommend including PSA as well given they offer the same free trial.

Honestly, for the $2k budget, and assuming you have the space, you'll want to go with dual subwoofers over a single.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I see major woofer leakage with open room.............................

IMHO, one sub will not cut it................two would be much better, besides much better FR across all seating.

Myself personally, four DIY UM-18's would be a much better alternative and would come close to OP's original budget.........maybe a few hundred more but overall response would be so much better. ;)

Good luck..............

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So I guess in the $2k budget it's between dual Hsu VTF-15H MK2 or dual PSA V1500
They are probably both good options. What I'd say is to start with the V1500 and see how you like it. With free shipping both ways and a 30 day trial period, you've got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I heard the hsu and svs subs last fall and took advantage of checking out the reaction audio PV-15x subs and glad I did. Impressed enough to later buy cx-10s as well as a pair of cx-15s.

I upgraded polk rti 12s and klipsch kg 5.5s and both accounts I am very pleased. As far as the subs I have been more and more impressed as time goes by and there may be a wait but if customer support is important that's the only thing better then the quality of the subs.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Dual HSU VTF-15H MK2 @ $1967 without a doubt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Id go with the 2 HSU's I just got a VTF-3 MK5 HP and all I can say is WOW! I'll probably go with another HSU and my room is 15X30 open to the back, but right now 1 is doing a great job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Anyone near central pa with a pair of hsu subs? I have a 3,000 sq ft shop and could do a comparison with the ra subs.I heard one to compare but curious if anyone has done a live actual comparison. Hearing one I did not think I was overall close for me to go that way. The svs was nice but twice as much. Not in the same league as the pair of ra subs. Does take up a bit less space though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts