AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I need some help. I am new to high end HT and want some advice. I have $1000.00 for buy a new sub, no more including delivery. My room HT is set up an old refurbished townhouse and is basically the entire first floor, I know not the best. The room is 35 long x 8 high x 13 feet wide (3,640 cubic feet). Though we may not be here for long that's the situation now. I have heard so much about svs and hsu and outlaw. What would be the best sub in that price range given my room specs?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would look at the eD A7-350 if you are going for the best for your money. Its very large and not the best looking sub but maybe the best bang for your buck. Its actually 1050 delivered which is a hair over budget

·
Registered
547 Posts
Check the elemental designs thread for more info. I haven't heard a disappointed costumer yet. You could also look at dual B stock MFW 15's if they have any left

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15462214

From an SQ and LF extension point, the Rythmik F15 is hard to beat

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../subs/f15.html

There are others that play louder in your price range, but we all know there's a lot more than sheer output when LF is concerned.

ooops, should have read first

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i like the svs pc12plus - but the ED weight 215 lbs, crazy, is this overkill. the ed specs blowthe svs out of hte water. what to do???

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemu06 /forum/post/15462873

Check the elemental designs thread for more info. I haven't heard a disappointed costumer yet. You could also look at dual B stock MFW 15's if they have any left
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1101407&page=3

In the above threaed you can start with Stix2, LHD21: and the guy who started the thread would have sold his A2-300 weeks ago if anyone would have boght it.

Every company has at least a few buyers who just have to move on to something else. To them, it is a hobby and part of the pleasure is trying new stuff. Since they can afford it, some of these dudes have gone through 5,6,7 different subs and still are looking for something new to try.

rmlowz is one of those guys who wants to try a lot of the heavy hitters and has been through quite a few, including the Ed A7-900.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I think he meant the buyers of that particular a7-350 sub. Under $1k shipped, I think it's the a7-350 (a bit over but you can just throw in your lunch money), and a7s-450 with 1300w, free eq and free matte finish for $860 shipped. Those two are the only ones I'd be looking at, because I don't think anything else under 1k will come close in output, although rythmik will outdo them with SQ but in general the a7s has awesome SQ of its own (especially EQ'ed to flat FR) and a7-350 should be up there too. Since the buyer is looking for an HT sub and his room is medium sized, I don't think Rythmik would be the best choice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i am sold on the A7s-450 - just got off the phone with ED and the 450 should be tighter than the A7-450 and i can get the EQ for 950 delivered. i will check rythmik

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK - if you had to choose between the rythmik F15 or the G15SE which one. Also are the Rythmiks comp to ED - the watts are off by a mile. This is overwhemling

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15475448

i think i am sold on the A7s-450 - just got off the phone with ED and the 450 should be tighter than the A7-450 and i can get the EQ for 950 delivered. i will check rythmik

You might want to look into the fact that the rythmik has a very clever servo mechanism.

It seems that the servo helps the rythmik with sound quality.

There isn't a lot to point to, but a few reports seem to indicate that the rythmik is cleaner than the HSU ULS-15, for example.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i like clean and clear - i live in a townhouse now and level/output is not a great concern. I am looking for tight bass that bottoms. not loud or boomy. tight and hard hitting is what I am looking for

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Rythmiks have fantastic sound quality, since they are specially engineered with that purpose. But looking at the specs, I don't think it will come anywhere close to the aforementioned eD subs in output, and for HT output and extension are the most important aspects. There are a few subs that I would not rank as high as those two eDs but would still take over that rythmik sub for HT going off the specs.

And about that price on a7s-450, that looks like you're not getting the EQ for free. Have you tried calling 641-792-2501 ?

EDIT: I noticed a few posts above mine that got there while I was typing. If you're not seeking a good deal of output, the Rythmik could be a fine choice, although I'm not sure how much will it benefit your SQ in movies. A7s is already a great SQ sub, and Rythmik was made for music. Rythmik's 15" driver in a sealed box with 370 watts will, as far as I understand, be further limited by the Direct Servo function itself, which limits the output in order to keep distortion low. Most people looking to buy an HT sub want a lot of hard hitting midbass and nauseating subsonic waves, so your preferences are a bit unusual. Are you sure in them?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15475838

Rythmiks have fantastic sound quality, since they are specially engineered with that purpose. But looking at the specs, I don't think it will come anywhere close to the aforementioned eD subs in output, and for HT output and extension are the most important aspects. There are a few subs that I would not rank as high as those two eDs but would still take over that rythmik sub for HT going off the specs.

And about that price on a7s-450, that looks like you're not getting the EQ for free. Have you tried calling 641-792-2501 ?

Do you have output numbers for comparison?

I own a VTF-3.3 and F15. The F15 supposedly has the same ballpark output as the Hsu, and judging by what I have experienced I would not doubt it.

I do agree though, the OP's room is pretty large. My room is 2300^3ft. Depending on how loud he listens to his material, the single F15 may not be enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Product(s) Qty. Total

A7S - 450 Subwoofer

- Foot Style: Hourglass

- Subwoofer Finish: Matte

- Amplifier: LT/1300

- eQ Choice: eQ.2

for 950.00

which ryhtmik frony firing or down fire

thanks

for the help

seems like a good promotion -

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15475791

i like clean and clear - i live in a townhouse now and level/output is not a great concern. I am looking for tight bass that bottoms. not loud or boomy. tight and hard hitting is what I am looking for

If that is what you want, then you need to hear the Rythmik and the Hsu. Both have outstanding sound quality IMO.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15475873

which ryhtmik frony firing or down fire

Either.....it more so depends what the sub will be sitting on. Is the subfloor wood or concrete? If wood...I would think more about front firing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts