AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 12ft x 20ft room. I love the big bass especially for movies I want the "WOW FACTOR". I have a Yamaha RXA1020 receiver, Definitive Techs 7006 for main,Definitive Techs CLR 2500 for a center and Definitive Tech BPX for surrounds. $800 to $1200.00 budget what are your recommendations? thanks :) fyi non sealed room

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Here are some options to consider, in order of descending price from around $1400 to just under $800.  I Included two a bit over your budget due to large jumps in performance.

Rythmik FV15HP

SVS PB12 Plus

PSA XS30

HSU VTF 15H

PSA XV15 = SVS PB2000(same price)

HSU VTF3.4

Outlaw LFM1-EX

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have a Definitive super cube 4000 and to be honest i dont really care for it and i m sending it back

·
Registered
371 Posts
What a crock. A pretty driver does not automatically make a great subwoofer. The JL E-110 is ideal for someone with low expectations, no space and money to burn.

I like bear123's list. I would add to it the HSU ULS-15 and Rythmik F15HP depending on just how open the room is and just how close you can place the sub to your LP.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500794

What a crock. A pretty driver does not automatically make a great subwoofer. The JL E-110 is ideal for someone with low expectations, no space and money to burn.

I like bear123's list. I would add to it the HSU ULS-15 and Rythmik F15HP depending on just how open the room is and just how close you can place the sub to your LP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan87  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500821

A sealed 10" in a house? Haha, you'll be blown away!

Well certainly you have both heard this sub and did not like it?

I have had a chance to listen to it and IMHO it sounds amazing.

Not only does it pound it digs very deep, is super tight, clean and lacks distortion.

If your looking for sloppy, boomy, bass with tons of overhang, tons of port chuffing and distortion, by all means get the under powered, biggest box and driver you can find.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Its not that the JL sounds bad, its that they priced it way out of what should be its comfort zone. It can't go toe to toe with id subs at its price point.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500861

Not only does it pound it digs very deep, is super tight, clean and lacks distortion.

If your looking for sloppy, boomy, bass with tons of overhang, tons of port chuffing and distortion, by all means get the under powered, biggest box and driver you can find.
The sub you mentioned could very well be a great 10" sealed sub.  This means that it would exceed his max budget and be a terrible sub for the ops wishes in his space.  

·
Registered
197 Posts

Quote:

Don't think anyone is going to be wow'ed in output by a single 10" sub with decent excursion in anything bigger than a bathroom for $2500. Although, I'm sure its a nice sounding sub and it certainly looks nice but at the end of the day its not a top performer.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:

This is a science forum and that JL sub while good for a 10 sealed sub is super expensive, does not break the laws of physics and as such is a terrible recommendation given the OP's requirements ("WOW FACTOR"). Perhaps you might like to read up on the subwoofer myths you are repeating. I would suggest the following web page...
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=knowhow&type=1

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500890

Its not that the JL sounds bad, its that they priced it way out of what should be its comfort zone. It can't go toe to toe with id subs at its price point.

I think if you were to look closely at many of the other subwoofers mentioned you would find that they all use the same low to mid tier off the shelf parts.

Now I'm not suggesting that this necessarily makes them bad. Some have managed to get quite a bit out of not much. Really an impressive feat.

JL subwoofers are designed from the ground up in house with all purpose built components.

I think this attention to detail and quality translates to better performance.

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500925

This is a science forum and that JL sub while good for a 10 sealed sub is super expensive, does not break the laws of physics and as such is a terrible recommendation given the OP's requirements ("WOW FACTOR"). Perhaps you might like to read up on the subwoofer myths you are repeating. I would suggest the following web page...
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=knowhow&type=1

Easy killer it was just a recommendation and an opinion from personal experiences.

And its $1,500 not $2,500-just saved him a grand.

And I know everyone here has an engineering degree in physics, is a scientist focused on audio and video development, is and industry expert....

·
Registered
989 Posts

trans, the E110 is priced around the SB13 Ultra, which runs with the F113. You're seriously suggesting the 10" E110 could somehow magically beat it's 13" brethren and beat the SB13Ultra in that price range?

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/SB13-Ultra#.UykOJfldU_I

Look at that driver and tell me that's low end off the shelf parts.

That's not even including other competitors in that price range. PSA, Rythmik, and HSU all have SPL killers in that price range. At $2,500 you can get a Funky Wave FW18 and separate amp, that box has a LMS5400...  Suppose you are going to tell us JL's better than that too? After all, you said it can beat anything up to $2,500.

JL doesn't produce bad subs, but the price is way too high for what you get. I got a chance to hear one when I was trying to decide on a sub myself, and while YES they sound good, the pricing is insane compared to what else is on the table by the competition.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500928

I think if you were to look closely at many of the other subwoofers mentioned you would find that they all use the same low to mid tier off the shelf parts.

Now I'm not suggesting that this necessarily makes them bad. Some have managed to get quite a bit out of not much. Really an impressive feat.

JL subwoofers are designed from the ground up in house with all purpose built components.

Yes you do and for that same price your looking at a lot of great options a PSA XS30's or an SB13-ultra and many more options. The thing you need to remember is design goals effects what components will be used to get the desired effect. The JL design goals are small, sealed, High power, use of a high pass filter, and good output (but not the best) for a lot of money. The saying you can't fight physics . Or, pick three output, sound quality, size and price. Both apply here.

JL uses such crazy drivers because their design style and goals dictate a very small sub while trading off price and looking for decent output. That requires an overbuilt product to reach that goal. Which in turn is more expensive. The options bear listed all use larger drivers and thus don't need to be as overbuilt and can still reach their design goals. Being over built doesn't necessarily mean better sound or better system design.

I'm going to post this list again because its a great starting point for the original poster. Any any subs from this list will both sound good and be worth the price.

Rythmik FV15HP

SVS PB12 Plus

PSA XS30

HSU VTF 15H

PSA XV15 = SVS PB2000(same price)

HSU VTF3.4

Outlaw LFM1-EX

·
Registered
8,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer#post_24500928

The issue is not wether the JL sub is good quality or not, it just does not fit the ops needs.  Its like recommending a new corvette for someone who wants to win a tractor pull.....it really doesnt matter that the corvette is a great sports car.....its the wrong product for the application.

The subs I listed are, imo, most likely the best performance, quality, and value that fit within or close to the ops budget for his intended purpose and room size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not even consider a JLA I do like the bear 123 picks! So my room is not the ideal acoustic room. Would i do a sealed box or vented box. I do listen to music and we watch movies a lot.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinkler  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer/0_80#post_24501151

I would not even consider a JLA I do like the bear 123 picks! So my room is not the ideal acoustic room. Would i do a sealed box or vented box. I do listen to music and we watch movies a lot.

A vented box will hold about a 10db advantage over a sealed at the tuning frequency. The sealed will dig much deeper but will requiring eq'ing to compensate for the natural roll off. In your size room and knowing you won't be running multiples; I'd definitely recommend ported.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1523194/best-subwoofer/0_80#post_24500861

There is so much wrong with this statement I wouldn't even know where to start.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts

Another option I would recommend, since your budget is not far off, and the benefit would likely be worth the bump, would be duals of the 7-$800 subs.  With dual discounts you could come in around $1500. Perhaps dual XV15's or dual PB2000's.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts