AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all through the SD gallery and original discussion threads - and although there were several people there with X1s, I never say any consistent advice on the formulation to use for the top coat for X1s.

So I decided to start this thread that can maybe track efforts on the SD for the X1.

The question (in my mind) is whether to use a touch of Red or Green or to go with the base formula without any pigmentation.

What have other X1'ers done? Screenshots please.

I typically have some low level ambient light - worse on the weekends when I watch HDTV sports. So consideration of both would be great if possible.

I guess I am lucky being is So Cal and have lots of options for screen suppliers and mediums - but I like the no fuss approach and use of pre-mirrored surfaces and will go that route.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an X1 and have been tinkering with samples of CMRA and MM's topcoat formula on a 12"x12" mirror. Haven't found a large enough mirror for the screen yet. It's a pretty amazing concept.

Last night for fun I taped the sample to the wall and turned all the lights in the room on. The mirror was about 2 feet from a 60W floor lamp. Naturally, the projected image on the wall washed out almost completely. Incredibly enough, the mirrored sample only lost maybe 15-20% of it's brightness. Pretty amazing considering. I think this may be a real killer for ambient light situations.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of this, but decided that more than likely, SD won't make it worst or better. It is what it is.

Again remember, that the current theory is that the PJ is unable to draw colors that require all three base colors to be present (white is the worst) fast enough for some folks. This won't be affected by screen type.

High contrast scenes (bright whites surrounded by blacks) will make the rainbows more noticable, but not occur more.

This is why folks try to use filters and such at the PJ to squash the brilliant whites to a point where they are less noticable - not eliminated, that isn't possible without modifying the PJ somehow.

I believe as the the color wheel speeds increase in combination with multi-segment color wheels (RGBRGB, etc.), this problem should go away for most. Hell, now adays, I don't really even notice them nor do they botther me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.