AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the market for the most reliable way to use Google Home/Assistant to control lighting (and some other things) in my home. I have looked into Philips Hue and while the idea is really great, I worry about the durability of the individual bulbs. My home has quite a few multi bulb fixtures and swapping them all for $15 white wifi bulbs pus the cost of the hub may not be the greatest investment if they are not durable. I also figured that leaving the manual switches in place may cause problems with what control Google Home would have over them if the old switch was left in the off position.

So, I looked more to swapping out the switches and outlets themselves. In this research I have come across some scary stories about Wemo not having the best Wifi Stability. Does this seem to be a recurring problem? Reading that sent me in the TP-Link direction, where I have seen less sob stories about them, and the cost is better than Wemo's. I also see that Lutron is now supporting Google Home, maybe that is a route to look down too???

I would need to swap out 7-8 light switches, dimmers not required but would be nice, and some plugs as well. Anyone have any thoughts on these products? This will be a long process of upgrading all my equipment but I would like to get started and stick with the same brand throughout if possible. Any suggestions are welcome... Thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am on the market for the most reliable way to use Google Home/Assistant to control lighting (and some other things) in my home. I have looked into Philips Hue and while the idea is really great, I worry about the durability of the individual bulbs. My home has quite a few multi bulb fixtures and swapping them all for $15 white wifi bulbs pus the cost of the hub may not be the greatest investment if they are not durable. I also figured that leaving the manual switches in place may cause problems with what control Google Home would have over them if the old switch was left in the off position.

So, I looked more to swapping out the switches and outlets themselves. In this research I have come across some scary stories about Wemo not having the best Wifi Stability. Does this seem to be a recurring problem? Reading that sent me in the TP-Link direction, where I have seen less sob stories about them, and the cost is better than Wemo's. I also see that Lutron is now supporting Google Home, maybe that is a route to look down too???

I would need to swap out 7-8 light switches, dimmers not required but would be nice, and some plugs as well. Anyone have any thoughts on these products? This will be a long process of upgrading all my equipment but I would like to get started and stick with the same brand throughout if possible. Any suggestions are welcome... Thanks!
Lutron is a good product. They do not have Caseta electrical outlets. You will need to purchase the Lutron hub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone used these brands personally and could comment on the stability of the Wemo Brand vs. the TP-Link brand? After some further checking, it looks like Wemo supports IFTTT where TP-Link currently does not. I could see myself dabbling in IFTTT in the near future, but the while the Wemo supports it, the wifi stability horror stories worry me. Are these devices a product that could be updated to support IFTTT in the future?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I would not go with Wemo...they don't support integration to many systems.
I would not go with any lighting device or hub that is cloud based due to latency, reliability and security reasons.
Not much mention of TP-Link devices.

Go with Lutron Caseta or RadioRa2
Or Insteon
Or Z-Wave.

Much better integration capability.

If you are interested in "dabbling" then look at a "Master Controller" which is the first decision as a DIY'r that wants to integrate across many things (lighting being one thing).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not go with Wemo...they don't support integration to many systems.
I would not go with any lighting device or hub that is cloud based due to latency, reliability and security reasons.
Not much mention of TP-Link devices.

Go with Lutron Caseta or RadioRa2
Or Insteon
Or Z-Wave.

Much better integration capability.

If you are interested in "dabbling" then look at a "Master Controller" which is the first decision as a DIY'r that wants to integrate across many things (lighting being one thing).

hmmm... seems that lutron is the only one of those listed that is currently supported on google assistant...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Caseta is, imo, the best of the consumer-level systems. If you aren't in a rush, there are frequent sales on the starter kits which include a couple of dimmers, remotes and the hub at Home Depot. I don't know how big your overall project is, but I believe Caseta has a 50 device limit, so that may factor into your thinking - though for a much larger system than that you'll likely want to go with a more pro-level system.
Caseta doesn't offer receptacles, however, so you'd need a different system for that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
We have a wink hub and a ton of mismatched products bought over the years and appart from my tcp lights witch needed their own hub and that now offline forever. Everything work fine.

I have Lutron switches and dimmers (no caseta hub thanks to wink) Leviton switch, outlet and dimmers, Liftmaster Garage door, Zwave alarm system, Canary, schlage deadbolts and more.

I fell slowly into automation over the last 4 years and find it great now. Google just made my life even easier I dont even have to get my phone out.

If you have any question just ask ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a wink hub and a ton of mismatched products bought over the years and appart from my tcp lights witch needed their own hub and that now offline forever. Everything work fine.

I have Lutron switches and dimmers (no caseta hub thanks to wink) Leviton switch, outlet and dimmers, Liftmaster Garage door, Zwave alarm system, Canary, schlage deadbolts and more.

I fell slowly into automation over the last 4 years and find it great now. Google just made my life even easier I dont even have to get my phone out.

If you have any question just ask ;)

Thanks for the reply. So I assume you are happy with the cooperation between wink and Lutron? I see Wink also works with Philips Hue? I am sort of interested in the rope light that they offer, to create bias lighting behind a wall mounted LED TV. Would you personally lean towards Wink over the integrated Philips or Lutron Hubs? I guess wink allows me to use Lutron and Philips gear in different areas if desired...? Is it the Wink Hub you have or have you upgraded to the Wink Hub 2? Is there sufficient need to go ahead and get the 2 over the original?

I went and looked at some Lutron options today at BB. Don't like the prices there but do have a few questions.

The small remote that comes with what looks like EVERY in-wall switch, does it only control the switch that comes with it? I don't plan on using these "remotes" as the switch location, phone and GH can control them, correct? Seems that replacing all the switches in my desired rooms, may get confusing with all of these remotes laying around. I assume they can just be put away and out of mind. Though it seems like I may be paying for something I wont use then?

It seems that the Lutron switches are dimmers as well.I FINALLY got all the right color (5000-6500k) LEDs in my house as I wanted. Now how will a dimmer affect these? Will the dimmer simply just not work, or will it damage my non-dimmable bulbs I just purchased?

Also, I ASSUME two Lutron switches could be installed in an existing dual wall box? I realize I would need to get a compatible 3rd party wall plate, but that should be easy enough...

And here is the important one... Does GH and the mobile app have control over the lights in any room regardless of what has been done to the switch. Say one of my kids runs by and turns a Lutron switch off, can I still control it from the app or GH?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for any help you can offer...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On another note... those of you that use Philips Hue in your setups. With communicating directly to the bulb(s) what do you do with your old standard light switches. Do you bypass them and just put on blank plates? Does turning off the old switch not leave the bulb(s) in a state that cannot be controlled by the Hub?

:confused:

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So I assume you are happy with the cooperation between wink and Lutron? I see Wink also works with Philips Hue? I am sort of interested in the rope light that they offer, to create bias lighting behind a wall mounted LED TV. Would you personally lean towards Wink over the integrated Philips or Lutron Hubs? I guess wink allows me to use Lutron and Philips gear in different areas if desired...? Is it the Wink Hub you have or have you upgraded to the Wink Hub 2? Is there sufficient need to go ahead and get the 2 over the original?

I went and looked at some Lutron options today at BB. Don't like the prices there but do have a few questions.

The small remote that comes with what looks like EVERY in-wall switch, does it only control the switch that comes with it? I don't plan on using these "remotes" as the switch location, phone and GH can control them, correct? Seems that replacing all the switches in my desired rooms, may get confusing with all of these remotes laying around. I assume they can just be put away and out of mind. Though it seems like I may be paying for something I wont use then?

It seems that the Lutron switches are dimmers as well.I FINALLY got all the right color (5000-6500k) LEDs in my house as I wanted. Now how will a dimmer affect these? Will the dimmer simply just not work, or will it damage my non-dimmable bulbs I just purchased?

Also, I ASSUME two Lutron switches could be installed in an existing dual wall box? I realize I would need to get a compatible 3rd party wall plate, but that should be easy enough...

And here is the important one... Does GH and the mobile app have control over the lights in any room regardless of what has been done to the switch. Say one of my kids runs by and turns a Lutron switch off, can I still control it from the app or GH?

On another note... those of you that use Philips Hue in your setups. With communicating directly to the bulb(s) what do you do with your old standard light switches. Do you bypass them and just put on blank plates? Does turning off the old switch not leave the bulb(s) in a state that cannot be controlled by the Hub?

I am quite busy tonight but should find some time tomorrow to answer. It'll a looonnnggg Answer :) and if you do get connected bulbs take the swtiches out. Or be prepared to curse a lot. ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks for the reply. So I assume you are happy with the cooperation between wink and Lutron?Yes I am!! I see Wink also works with Philips Hue? Yes it does and much much more! I am sort of interested in the rope light that they offer, to create bias lighting behind a wall mounted LED TV. Would you personally lean towards Wink over the integrated Philips or Lutron Hubs? Sadly some brands need their hubs to integrate into wink Philips is one of them so where my now unsupported TCPlights TCP decide to pull the plug on their connected world and left us.. I guess wink allows me to use Lutron and Philips gear in different areas if desired...? Yes you can mix and match just about anything and thats great but some things work better than others Is it the Wink Hub you have or have you upgraded to the Wink Hub 2? I have the Original but will probably end up buying the new one eventually. Is there sufficient need to go ahead and get the 2 over the original? That depends on budget mostly b

I went and looked at some Lutron options today at BB. Don't like the prices there but do have a few questions. BB is to expensive on connected thing try Home depot or online.

You can actually program the remotes to control specific modules and act as wall switch as much as I love the app or GH sometimes you a wall plate is all you need I.e: in the middle of the night.

They have regular wall switches and dimmers also plug-able modules. Are you sure your led are non dimmable ? it seems weird most are now. If not the go for regular switches
Also, I ASSUME two Lutron switches could be installed in an existing dual wall box? I realize I would need to get a compatible 3rd party wall plate, but that should be easy enough...dont know that but they are quite big, every connected switch or outlet is bigger than the regular ones also they need a 3 wire (line neutral ground)

And here is the important one... Does GH and the mobile app have control over the lights in any room regardless of what has been done to the switch. Say one of my kids runs by and turns a Lutron switch off, can I still control it from the app or GH? Yep as long as there still electricity in that switch. beware of tree ways.

No problem glad to help if I can
On another note... those of you that use Philips Hue in your setups. With communicating directly to the bulb(s) what do you do with your old standard light switches. Do you bypass them and just put on blank plates? Does turning off the old switch not leave the bulb(s) in a state that cannot be controlled by the Hub?I should bypass them. Every now and again someone comes home and close the lights by the regular switch. I turn it on again and most of the time they are still online. Every connected bulb I own have some sort of safety feature like they have to lose electricity 5 times to reset.

See in text :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See in text :)

Thanks for all the information! Hugely helpful. Looks like I am leaning towards a Wink Hub 2. It seems to broaden my compatible components.

Now, for those that have used them, is there added benefit to using Lutron switches over say a GE z-wave switch that I can get locally? I mean the Lutron switches are more attractive for sure, but at the end of the day they are just a light switch and I need to replace quite a few. money could be saved going with GE... Thoughts?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Now, for those that have used them, is there added benefit to using Lutron switches over say a GE z-wave switch that I can get locally? I mean the Lutron switches are more attractive for sure, but at the end of the day they are just a light switch and I need to replace quite a few. money could be saved going with GE... Thoughts?

Benefit of Lutron is quality. If you need help getting Lutron or Caseta PM me. I usually am found on the Radio Ra 2 thread here on AVS but I can help with anything Lutron.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Benefit of Lutron is quality. If you need help getting Lutron or Caseta PM me. I usually am found on the Radio Ra 2 thread here on AVS but I can help with anything Lutron.
Paul, there was a poster looking for some Radio Ra2 stuff last week and people suggested he reach out to you - there's a thread on it in case you haven't seen or for some reason you weren't able to hook up.

·
Registered
369 Posts

Thanks for all the information! Hugely helpful. Looks like I am leaning towards a Wink Hub 2. It seems to broaden my compatible components.

Am I reading this one wrong? Even with Wink, to use Philips lighting I will still need to add the Philips Hue Bridge as well?

Well the Lutron have been around for a while and are reliable. I cant speak for the GE I havent used them there not available locally here. I have used Leviton switch dimers outlets and modules with great success tho.

As for phillips, Yeah you need their own device as well....

I really like the fact that wink removed the need for cloud services for local control of the light trough the app.

·
Registered
713 Posts
On another note... those of you that use Philips Hue in your setups. With communicating directly to the bulb(s) what do you do with your old standard light switches. Do you bypass them and just put on blank plates? Does turning off the old switch not leave the bulb(s) in a state that cannot be controlled by the Hub? :confused:
For my Philips Hue lights, I bought switches for the rooms that needed them. I mounted them directly above the built in light switch. The switch can come off to be used like a remote but I've always just left them on the wall. If you turn the physical wall switch off there is no power to the lights so you will need to leave it on for it to work. In my situation this has never been a problem. I didn't have switches for the first month or so of having the Hue lights and managed to get by with my phone and Google Home, but sometimes there's nothing like having a physical switch you can tap on your way in or out of a room. I use the switch about half the time, and Google Home/Siri the other half. I didn't like being without a physical switch.

Reactions: The_Forth_Man

·
Registered
369 Posts
For my Philips Hue lights, I bought switches for the rooms that needed them. I mounted them directly above the built in light switch. The switch can come off to be used like a remote but I've always just left them on the wall. If you turn the physical wall switch off there is no power to the lights so you will need to leave it on for it to work. In my situation this has never been a problem. I didn't have switches for the first month or so of having the Hue lights and managed to get by with my phone and Google Home, but sometimes there's nothing like having a physical switch you can tap on your way in or out of a room. I use the switch about half the time, and Google Home/Siri the other half. I didn't like being without a physical switch.
Same here! Also added two wink relays in the house. Basically a phone app on the wall plus 2 real switches, you can program however you like, Such as Night mode Movie mode etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts