AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through the forums for a couple days I have saved threads discussing systems with a budget of 300, 800, and 1200. What about the $500 range? There is a similiar thread but it is more of a unique situation and they want a DVD player for that price. What about just a receiver/speakers/sub for $500 - what are the recommendations?

Also, which price range offers the best bang for the buck? Obviously the 800 range would be better than the 300 range but is it worth spending the extra money on? Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
just put together my first system and came in right around 500....

onkyo 503 a CC for 225

athena point 5's 200

dayton 10 sub 100

after shipping and wires and cables i was right around 600 but the sound is incredible

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21
athena point 5's 200
they're $149.99, if you're lucky enough to have a BB in your area that still has them in stock...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any place online that is cheap and reliable to order this stuff? I noticed from other threads many had links to Amazon.com but they were out of stock. Will everything probably be available after the Holidays? I don't mind buying at CC or BB but usually you can find better prices online.

·
Registered
99 Posts
do not buy from amazon... they take your money and dont tell you items are on backorder, shipping from somehwere else etc....

i had an excellent experience with onecall.com, bought the same athena point 5 speakers, came double boxed and arrived in 4 days...very nice to call up and get to talk to a real person also

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid
Try this link... I was just checking into it before I came here to see what was going on. I have heard nothing but good things about this system
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/502511528 :D

try searching these forums a little bit more...there are several opinions on this system, and not all of them are very good.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21
just put together my first system and came in right around 500....

onkyo 503 a CC for 225

athena point 5's 200

dayton 10 sub 100

after shipping and wires and cables i was right around 600 but the sound is incredible
this system can be done for $500 if you're willing to buy a refurbished onkyo 502, which can be had for ~ $150 from shoponkyo, jandr, ubid, etc., and it will sound much better than any comparble HTiB.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalis
So a well built 2.1 $500 will sound beter than a $500 5.1 system?
There is plenty of systems out there you just got to make the right choice.Thats the beauty about here...we are like doctors...everyone has there own opinion but no matter what you choose it will still be decent if you take the advice here :)

I started with a$500 system I took the advice and bought a decent system.However after 2 mos I`ve decided I just wanted a higher end system and to play with the big boys.Anyway I had and have a Harman Kardon HKTS 14 5.1 system.

It does not come with a reciever but you can pick this up for less than $400 delivered on the web.You can always buy a receiver for $150 or less plenty out there.That`s a total of $550 and it is an awsome system for that price range!The subwoofer itself is a 200 watt monster and it can rock!

I bought it from advice here and lots of research at cnet.com and other places...all give it a thumbs up.

I still have it with speaker stands and plan to put it on ebay soon...if you are interested give me a email.

Anyway thats my 2 cents worth...good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.