Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a tabletop TV with a maximum cabinet width of 44"

I plan to buy sometime before the end of the year.

I really like the plasma HDTVs but they are just out of my price range this year. And I don't like EDTV.

I took a trip to best buy recently and looked at a Samsung 46" DLP and a Zenith 44" LCD

The Zenith actually looked better to me in the store. But maybe it was just the way that they had them set up.

If you guys know of any new models coming out I can wait for a better quality set.

Please post any suggestions that you have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been looking at the Samsung as well, but will probably wait for their 46" HD2+ model to compare.

What kind of cabinet is this going in? I will be needing a cabinet with doors to fit this into.

Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been a sony fan for years but why do they always have to make their sets so darn wide.

I mean, the 46" Samsung will fit my cabinet perfectly but the 42" Sony is nearly 4" too wide. That's just crazy. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the sets that you guys are in love with are just too big for my cabinet.

Are there any new sets coming out this Fall/Winter that would work for me and still be good quality?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JAWJABOY
Most of the sets that you guys are in love with are just too big for my cabinet.

Are there any new sets coming out this Fall/Winter that would work for me and still be good quality?
The best two relatively narrow units that are coming are the Samsung 4674 (40.6" wide) and the RCA 44LPW165 (41.6" wide). Both are HD2+ DLP sets, but they're not out yet so no consumers have seen them in action. I've got a 42" wide cabinet, so I'm watching these two closely.

Scott

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sdolson
The best two relatively narrow units that are coming are the Samsung 4674 (40.6" wide) and the RCA 44LPW165 (41.6" wide). Both are HD2+ DLP sets, but they're not out yet so no consumers have seen them in action. I've got a 42" wide cabinet, so I'm watching these two closely.

Scott
Thanks!

I'll keep my eye out for those as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since the Samsung 4674 and the RCA 44LPW165 will both have newer HD2+ do you think that rainbows will still be a problem?

I've read somewhere that the RCA is supposed to have more features than the Samsung and a better color wheel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jjesusfreak01
The 46in Samsung HD2+ is probably the biggest tv you can fit in this space.
I wish I could get more info on this model.

It seems that Samsung is late releasing it.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Quote:
I've been a sony fan for years but why do they always have to make their sets so darn wide.

I mean, the 46" Samsung will fit my cabinet perfectly but the 42" Sony is nearly 4" too wide. That's just crazy. :)
Hear, hear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Since the Samsung 4674 and the RCA 44LPW165 will both have newer HD2+ do you think that rainbows will still be a problem?

I've read somewhere that the RCA is supposed to have more features than the Samsung and a better color wheel.
Unknown at this point. I haven't been able to find _any_ good specs on the RCA (covering things like contrast ratio, color wheel, etc), so there's no basis for comparison. The RCA has some features (FireWire, CableCard, Ethernet) that the Sammy doesn't, but the Sammy has more digital inputs than the RCA (1 HDMI, 1 DVI, 1 VGA vs 1 HDMI), and a larger screen size in a smaller package. So which you like depends on what you want.

Since my TV will be hooked up to a HD TiVo system, CableCard means nothing to me, multiple digital ins are worth more to me. The RCA's Ethernet is interesting, but I'm not sure I need to surf the web on my TV (though it is an interesting idea, but my house Ethernet doesn't run to the TV, hmmmm....) Right now, I lean a little more to the Sammy (larger size, more digital inputs) than the RCA, but it will depend on which one seems to have the better picture. We shall see.

Scott

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: RCA 44LPW165

Does anyone have a link to this set with dimensions and specs?

The RCA website ignores a search for it.

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ignore my previous post...found the dimensions on another thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.