AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What is the best kind of TV for OTA viewing?

Plasma, LCD ?

I read on an other forum that LCD was much better for viewing a OTA Picture.

Thanks for your time,

Intravino

·
Registered
21,981 Posts
They will all provide a good picture quality. A good antenna for your specific location should be the primary focus.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino /forum/post/14252883

Hello,

Intravino

This is hogwash, in my opinion. A good tv is a good tv. A tv that is superior for viewing from one source should be better for viewing from any source.

This reminds me of years ago when talking about speakers somebody would say that a speaker was good for classical music. Hogwash. A good speaker is a good speaker for any type of music.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino /forum/post/14252883

Hello,

What is the best kind of TV for OTA viewing?

Plasma, LCD ?

There is no best.

In very broad terms, LCD is better for brightly lit rooms, with lots of windows, because they are generally brighter. Plasma generally has better blacks, and does better in rooms with controlled light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

I had a felling that it was not true.

How about now the atsc tuner, is there a difference in quality between major manufacturers of HDTV?

Or it is better to just purchase a monitor and buy an external tuner?

Thanks again,

Intravino

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino /forum/post/14253707

Hi Guys,

How about now the atsc tuner, is there a difference in quality between major manufacturers of HDTV?

Thanks again,

Intravino

In general, the DTV tuners built into the major brands are as good, or better, than external tuners. I've had good luck with LG, Vizio, Samsung, Sony, and others.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Most of the big name brands have decent tuners. Unless you have a particular reason to be worried about tuner sensitivity, it shouldnt factor too heavily in your decision....you should be more concerned about video reproduction quality.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino /forum/post/14253707

Hi Guys,

Thanks again,

Intravino

Even my big box refurbed Westinghouse 32" LCD has a decent tuner. My Mitsubishi DLP has a great tuner as well. Like Ken said--any major brand should suit you well. An external tuner will just waste a HD (component or HDMI) input that can be used for Blu-Ray, upconverting DVD, HD DVD (if you had one), D-VHS (if you had one), media extenders, home theater PC's, cable/sat boxes, etc.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
And there are very few current models of external HDTV tuners available, I think only the Samsung DTB-H260F (by far the most widely available), a PrimeDTV, and a Tivax. (or does the Tivax just have SD output?).

Oh yes, also the Tivo Series 3 and Tivo HD DVRs, plus the forthcoming Echostar TR-50 DVR.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"How about now the atsc tuner, is there a difference in quality between major manufacturers of HDTV?"

I asked about this maybe a month ago. I think the short answer was that, in general, newer models from major manufacturers have very good tuners--significantly better than what was typical only 3-4 years ago. And this certainly proved to be the case for me on purchasing a new LCD. The reception is far more robust than what I expected from my first go at ATSC OTA. Of course, my situation may be different: indoor antenna,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts