AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am going to see the Dark knight movie sometime next week and really want to see it with the best bass and sound. I was thinking about the Archlight in Hollywood but I haven't been there in years. I cant remember if the bass was room shaking at the Archlight. Any recommendations for theaters in the L.A area.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The new Archlight in Sherman Oaks is excellent relative to the other theaters I've experienced although bass is always dissapointing in theaters now

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Yeah and don’t forget to take four paramount items with you!

Check list procedure.

1: SPL db metre for checking sound pressure level of the films C and A weighting we what facts!

2: note-pad to write down facts!

3: a disposable pen because without it you can’t take notes down can you!

4: digital camera or mobile phone with camera because this thread will be totally useless without pictures and don’t for get to take a few pictures inside the cinema after its cleared out and take some good ones take at least 10 no more or less 10, do you think you can handle this mission?

I gather it’s this place then.

Cinerama Dome and Arclight Cinemas
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/33/

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
That's the one in Hollywood. There's another further north in the San Fernando Valley.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings /forum/post/14317119

I'm going to see this at the IMAX tonight. I should take my SPL meter.

Which IMAX? When did you get tickets?

The Bridge IMAX is sold out all weekend.

·
Registered
16,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14315959

Yeah and don’t forget to take four paramount items with you!

Check list procedure.

1: SPL db metre for checking sound pressure level of the films C and A weighting we what facts!

2: note-pad to write down facts!

3: a disposable pen because without it you can’t take notes down can you!

4: digital camera or mobile phone with camera because this thread will be totally useless without pictures and don’t for get to take a few pictures inside the cinema after its cleared out and take some good ones take at least 10 no more or less 10, do you think you can handle this mission?

I gather it’s this place then.

Cinerama Dome and Arclight Cinemas
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/33/

you forgot step 5.....

5. Forget step 1-4 and just go and enjoy the movie. What is the point of SPL measurements at the neighborhood cinema. If I actualy saw a guy with an SPL meter, camera, note pad, etc....at the theater and he was sitting next to me I would ask him to put that **** away. No way can you fully appreciate the film doing all this. I understand doing these measurements in a HT, but a commercial cinema?????

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Granted, I don't go to the theater much as I can't stand the company (other movie goers), but the last big premier I went to, Star Wars in 1977 (yeah I know), was at the Chinese (main theater) in Hollywood, and the bass and picture (the screen is friggin huge) was something I have never heard/seen before or since. Back then, it was awesome, but I can't vouch for it today.

If I could see this at an IMAX, that would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've been to the arclight twice. Once for Dreamgirls in the dome and once upstairs which was actually our first time there . Both were great experiences especially compared to the run of the mill cineplexes scattered throughout Southern California. Clean crisp sound especially in the dome. You pay more but it's apparent with how well it's organized. At least in my two experiences there.The IMAX at Universal citywalk was impressive also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 /forum/post/14325631

I've been to the arclight twice. Once for Dreamgirls in the dome and once upstairs which was actually our first time there . Both were great experiences especially compared to the run of the mill cineplexes scattered throughout Southern California. Clean crisp sound especially in the dome. You pay more but it's apparent with how well it's organized. At least in my two experiences there.The IMAX at Universal citywalk was impressive also.

Have you been to the Imax recently? I'm just curious because I went to see 300 and it wasn't very impressive.
I'm hoping it has improved greatly.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
After watching DVDs and BluRay in my theater.........all the movie theaters in Cleveland Ohio leave me disappointed. And I don't even have a SUPER system yet!

Just a pair of SVS SBS-01 and a SCS-01 up front with 2 surrounds and a 16-46+ tucked in the corner by the couch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts