AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the biggest discounts on Plasma/LCD panels are right around Super Bowl. Is this true? If so, I think I may take the plunge in the next 2 weeks! Or I may still continue to wait until more true 1080p panels hit the market, forcing the 720p panels to come down in price even more! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz /forum/post/0

I've heard the biggest discounts on Plasma/LCD panels are right around Super Bowl. Is this true? If so, I think I may take the plunge in the next 2 weeks! Or I may still continue to wait until more true 1080p panels hit the market, forcing the 720p panels to come down in price even more! Any suggestions? Thanks!

There's a TON of variables that go into it. Some are out of your control and the U.S. retailers. So if you see a price that looks good, go for it.

You had two 20% price cuts in 2006 and I don't see another one anytime on the horizon after the SB. In addition, there's a price-fixing probe into the LCD makers (how can that be, huh?) which probably means they can't cut anymore because they've lost alot of money already and now they face huge fines. Plus, 1080p's are going to pressure the older models more in Q3 and Q4 of 2007.

The end of the Japanese fiscal year is March 31st and lots of Japanese companies try to clear out inventory by March 31st, which means they know they have to sell in the U.S. by the SB or else there's no incentive to buy later. Very few sets get sold after the SB, so little incentive to cut pricing then.

Finally, the dollar can rise or fall and that influences pricing.

Bottom Line: If you see a set you love, get it before the SB and enjoy it!! I got my Philips 9631 in September and paid about $1,800; today it costs about $1,400 or a bit more. Sure, I could have saved another 20% -- but the way I look at it, the TV was $3,500 in mid-2005 and $2,800 in early '06. Had I waited, I would have watched all the MLB playoffs, including my Mets, plus most of the football season, without the TV.

I'm glad I bought. Cheaper prices and more features means when I buy bigger in 18 months I'll get an awesome price then.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PhilipsPhanatic for the info!

The two panels I'm interested in are the 50" Pioneer and Samsung. Yeah, the popular models that everyone compares. I can't justify the near $1,000 difference in price between the two panels. I was hooked on the Samsung back in May '06 then I cooled off a bit and recently saw the Pioneer in Best Buy (which my wife liked the most) but thinking about it...this is going into our Master Bedroom so I can save the $1K, buy the Sammy and put the money I saved into a mount, cables, install and extended warranty through MACK.

I think the reason I've been so indecisive since last May is b/c I'm still not impressed with the SD PQ which will be watched and I have a feeling this will improve a lot with the newer panels.

So that's my background. Anyone have any more suggestions?

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
visual apex has a really good deal on the 5070 right now. but if you can get the sammy for $1k less that would be a great deal.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic /forum/post/0

In addition, there's a price-fixing probe into the LCD makers (how can that be, huh?) which probably means they can't cut anymore because they've lost alot of money already and now they face huge fines.

I'm not sure I get the logic here. If the government has caught on to a price-fixing scheme, doesn't that mean prices would be likely to be cut because they would no longer be able to illegally "prop up" their prices knowing the competition won't undercut them?

Why would that mean they "can't cut anymore?"

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

I've heard the biggest discounts on Plasma/LCD panels are right around Super Bowl. Is this true? If so, I think I may take the plunge in the next 2 weeks! Or I may still continue to wait until more true 1080p panels hit the market, forcing the 720p panels to come down in price even more! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Believe it or not... the best time to buy a PDP is during the Holiday (dare I say Christmas) shopping season, when manufacturers/retailers are busy getting out what remains of their existing inventory to make room for what's coming next year. New technology will always be most expensive when initially released after which the price rapidly declines.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

The two panels I'm interested in are the 50" Pioneer and Samsung. Yeah, the popular models that everyone compares. I can't justify the near $1,000 difference in price between the two panels.

I think the reason I've been so indecisive since last May is b/c I'm still not impressed with the SD PQ which will be watched and I have a feeling this will improve a lot with the newer panels.

So that's my background. Anyone have any more suggestions?

At a couple of the forum sponcers, the 5070 is priced under the Samsung.

It has been my experience that the 5070 SD picture is excellent. I've had several guests over who have watched the tv and stated "wow, I guess there is something to this high def thing after all" In all cases, the tv was displaying standard def only as I have my high def on a seperate input.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:

Thanks PhilipsPhanatic for the info! The two panels I'm interested in are the 50" Pioneer and Samsung. Yeah, the popular models that everyone compares. I can't justify the near $1,000 difference in price between the two panels. I was hooked on the Samsung back in May '06 then I cooled off a bit and recently saw the Pioneer in Best Buy (which my wife liked the most) but thinking about it...this is going into our Master Bedroom so I can save the $1K, buy the Sammy and put the money I saved into a mount, cables, install and extended warranty through MACK.

I think the reason I've been so indecisive since last May is b/c I'm still not impressed with the SD PQ which will be watched and I have a feeling this will improve a lot with the newer panels. So that's my background. Anyone have any more suggestions?

I would tell you to include the 50" Panasonic and the 50" 9631 Philips in your lineup. I have no problem with the Pioneer (if you don't mind paying a premium) but the Samsungs have had a bunch of threads here with problems. All plasmas, do, I don't want to rag on Samsung, but read the Samsung threads and see what's up there. Sometimes, new models or initial flat-panels or new technologies have bugs. Philips 7000 series plasma had some issues, but the 9631's have been excellent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.