1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
It is an interesting perspective, and probably the first list I've seen that did not include the Godfather and Back to the Future trilogies. I would probably rank the Bourne trilogy over some of those picks.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It's also missing Ray's Apu trilogy and Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy, so it does not represent the top ten.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Star Wars OT

Indiana Jones

Bourne

TGWTDT

Die Hard

LOTR

POTC

in that order for me

Many others had all the makings to compete with top contenders but blew it with the third installment.

Terminator

Alien(s)

Hellraiser

Silence of the Lambs/Red Dragon were great and unfortunately spoiled with Hannibal.

I'll wager the following titles will be worthy considerations as well when their third installment is completed.

REC

Batman

Iron Man

Hellboy

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20982476

It is an interesting perspective, and probably the first list I've seen that did not include the Godfather and Back to the Future trilogies. I would probably rank the Bourne trilogy over some of those picks.

I would as well. Hard not to pick LOTR for #1 even if I'm not interested in seeing it for a long time.

If you saturate a set of titles over a few years, you're done with it until nostalgia kicks in once or twice.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
Definite Tre Colours has got to be up there. The Bourne flicks are one of the few that managed not to keep it above water for three movies. And though some folks trash The Godfather III, I don't think it's that bad and the strength of the other two more than make up for it.

If they ever make a third part to the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset movies, that'll almost certainly be one, but of course they've run out of Befores now. I guess they could go with Before Lunch or something.

I can't give LOTRs the nod. Ultimately, in the long term analysis, I can't even watch them really. I've tried a few times and just give up.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/20982661

Lord of the Rings.

Probably so....

It is the only trilogy I can think of that doesn't have a weak link....

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
To put the original 3 Star Wars movies so far down on the list totally turned me off to this whole list.

And not to have Back To The Future on the list is absurd also.

This list sucks.

Kenobi - your post above is superb!!!!

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
odd choices in that list! anyway... here's my top 10 (except for the first 3 the others are in no particular order):

Lord Of The Rings

Star Wars OT

Indiana Jones

Back To The Future

Bourne

The Matrix

The Godfather

Leone's Man With No Name Trilogy

Millenium

Transformers (yeah yeah I know....)

Honorable mentions:

La Cage Aux Folles (french)

Les Ripoux (french)

The Mummy

Spider-Man

Three Colors

Beverly Hills Cop

Mad Max

[edit] Bourne!! How could I forget that one! tx obi-wan

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Without any ranking:

LOTR

Indy

Back to the future

Godfather

Bourne

Starwars 4-6 (the originals without messed up re-edits).

Alien 1-3 (Nowdays I like the third but after the second who wouldn't be disappointed
)

The Man With No Name

Those that didn't make it but kind of close (IMO)

Millenium, I do like the whole series but the series is a bit uneven in quality with the second and third films.

Matrix, Tough call but again, amazing first movie but second and third doesn't quite match it.

Terminator, first and second are truely among my favourite movies but OMG what a mess the third is.

Beverly Hills Cop, the third completely destroy the whole concept, the third is probably among my most "hated" movies along with T3

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Very few trilogys manage to keep the same(close enough) standard for 3 movies.

Star wars (4-6), Dollar trilogy and Back to the future are among the few.

Alien, Godfather, LOTR, Indiana Jones, Potc all have a black sheep.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
To me, a great trilogy is one where the story arc starts in the first and comes to a conclusion in the third. Many of those are "quasi"-trilogies, where the stories are hardly related, if at all--I haven't seen the Vengeance Trilogy (aside from Oldboy), but my understanding is that they are essentially three stand-alone movies.

However... I suppose the list would be pretty short if one stuck to that limited definition.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/20983532

The Man With No Name Trilogy:

A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Plus one.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl /forum/post/20985391

To me, a great trilogy is one where the story arc starts in the first and comes to a conclusion in the third. Many of those are "quasi"-trilogies, where the stories are hardly related, if at all--I haven't seen the Vengeance Trilogy (aside from Oldboy), but my understanding is that they are essentially three stand-alone movies.

However... I suppose the list would be pretty short if one stuck to that limited definition.

A trilogy can be connected in many ways. The Dollar trilogy has no story arc that connects them other then Clints character, but the style and scoring is so special that you cant think of one without thinking about the others.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another vote for "Dollars" here.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
After reading the link above, I am a little surprised at some of the choices.

I don't quite see a way to compare "trilogies" without seperating them into their respective genres.

My list of favorite Action/Adventure trilogies (ranked)

1. LOTR

2. SW (OT)

3. Spiderman

4. Terminator

5. POTC

6. Matrix

My list of Action/Adventure trilogies where 1 of the 3 movies sucked

1. Alien (Alien3 is frickin' crap)

2. Indiana Jones (IJ3 was annoying..."Dad, Dad, Dad"
)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts