AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I am new here, and I was wondering what the best turntable speakers are in your opinion?

I have recently gotten an old turntable and my interest in LP's are steadily increasing. At the moment I have a set of old speakers that are in fantastic condition and they sound pretty good (I can't for the life of me remember the name though).

But, out of pure curiosity and possibly for future purchase purposes, I was wondering what the best speakers are for listening to vinyl records?

My friend has a pair of B&W's and he is a total audiophile. So is that the way to go? They are pretty expensive though.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
The best pair would be whatever sounds the best to YOU!!

Anything else people post is simply their own opinion about that particular speaker brand and doesn't actually mean you will find them the best speakers you've heard/liked, nor does it mean they work well with turntables. Because every speaker can work well with a turntable, if it's the speakers you like.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Go out and audition speakers that are in your price range. No such thing as speakers built for Turntables. Is there a price range you are comfortable with and do you have the electronics and phono preamp for the setup?:)

·
Banned
142 Posts
Since Vinyl

Always sounds better you may want to look at speakers by B&W, Sonus Faber, Magnepan, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, and Linn

Dave

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Hi Guys!

I am new here, and I was wondering what the best turntable speakers are in your opinion?

I have recently gotten an old turntable and my interest in LP's are steadily increasing. At the moment I have a set of old speakers that are in fantastic condition and they sound pretty good (I can't for the life of me remember the name though).

But, out of pure curiosity and possibly for future purchase purposes, I was wondering what the best speakers are for listening to vinyl records?

My friend has a pair of B&W's and he is a total audiophile. So is that the way to go? They are pretty expensive though.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance:)
Budget?
Will this be a dedicated 2.0 with no sub(s) or 2.1 with sub(s)?
Listening habits? loud, moderate?
What kind of sound do you prefer? more treble? more laid back?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Go out and audition speakers that are in your price range. No such thing as speakers built for Turntables. Is there a price range you are comfortable with and do you have the electronics and phono preamp for the setup?:)
Hi, thank you for the reply. I do have the electronics and phono preamp. When it comes to price range, I am looking for something under 1k that can give me a nice clear sound. I am not too worried about bass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Budget?
Will this be a dedicated 2.0 with no sub(s) or 2.1 with sub(s)?
Listening habits? loud, moderate?
What kind of sound do you prefer? more treble? more laid back?
Hi, thank you for your reply. I was thinking 2.0 with no amp and price range - under/around 1k.
I generally listen to music at an average volume but every now I do like to crank it up.
I suppose I like sound with more treble.

Thank you. I would appreciate your advise.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm using a pair of Klipsch RF-3 ii's I got from an ex co-worker for $100.00. They are old, vintage, heavy & take a pounding. Lots of deals out there! :)

·
Registered
8,715 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Hi, thank you for the reply. I do have the electronics and phono preamp. When it comes to price range, I am looking for something under 1000k that can give me a nice clear sound. I am not too worried about bass.
Kef is updating their Q series so you can get great prices on the older line. The Q700 normally $1500 is selling for $800 at Accessorie4less. Excellent 3 way speaker. Also the Elac F6 would be in your price range.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few very good speakers At good discount. Is your budget flexible at all?
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...floor/speakers/floor-standing-speakers/1.html
Kef is updating their Q series so you can get great prices on the older line. The Q700 normally $1500 is selling for $800 at Accessorie4less. Excellent 3 way speaker. Also the Elac F6 would be in your price range.:)
Oh wow, that looks so great. I like the look of the KEF speakers and I have heard many good things about them.

My budget is a little bit flexible, do you have something specific in mind?

I actually wasn't planning on buying anything just yet. I was mostly curious and planning ahead. But I am thinking I might as well take the plunge right now. If I can find the right speakers at a good price then why not.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Turntable speakers? lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turntable speakers? lol
I am referring to speakers that will be able to bring out the quality sound of the vinyl. I already have a great AT stylus on my turntable but my speakers are quite average. They sound good but I have heard B&W's that really captured the quality of the music while I basically hear "less" of the music through my speakers.I am sure there are many speakers out there that are preferred by vinyl enthusiasts and I simply want their opinions.

I honestly do not know quite how to explain it. I am new to this and I am not familiar with the terms and stuff yet. The reason why I specified "turntable speakers" is simply because I want speakers that will bring out the sound of the vinyl and focus on detail rather than booming bass or whatever.

If all speakers are alike then my bad, I just wanted to add what the main purpose of my speakers will be.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Should have kept my laughter to myself. :eek:

Reactions: jasonsong

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Oh wow, that looks so great. I like the look of the KEF speakers and I have heard many good things about them.

My budget is a little bit flexible, do you have something specific in mind?

I actually wasn't planning on buying anything just yet. I was mostly curious and planning ahead. But I am thinking I might as well take the plunge right now. If I can find the right speakers at a good price then why not.
You could get very good quality bookshelf Which would be one level about the Kef Q series or anything in that range. You can add a relatively inexpensive sub. Since the main use would be music, you don't need an earth shaking sub that plays down to 16hz. You'd end up with a higher quality setup for the same money

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I remember when speakers were marketed as "digital ready"

Records tended to be EQ'd with less deep bass so if you want the look, get some vintage speakers--the big dogs from back in the day.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I remember when speakers were marketed as "digital ready"
+1. The only thing different about them was the sticker that said 'Digital Ready', more often than not slapped onto existing old stock.

The only difference between modern speakers and vintage is that vintage wasn't called upon to reproduce much below 60Hz, because it didn't exist on the recordings. That doesn't mean that vintage speakers work any better with vintage sources than modern speakers. It does mean that modern sources will usually work better with modern speakers.

I am referring to speakers that will be able to bring out the quality sound of the vinyl.
There's no such thing. You can take that answer two ways. Both interpretations are correct. ;)

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
As you live in San Francisco I'm assuming tower speakers are out of the question.

I would highly recommend the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy monitor as it has had great reception from AVS owners and is very inexpensive but still plays low enough that you don't need a subwoofer.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

The owner plays in a symphony himself and his business is more of a labor of love than a profit center for him.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts