AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions. My girlfriend and I are getting an apartment and neither of us have our own television. Right now our pastor is letting us borrow a really nice 60 inch Samsung from our church but that's only a temporary thing. Anyway,for some time I've been getting Amazon cards for birthdays/christmas etc and right now I have around $900 which I'm going to use to get a television for my new apartment. As far as priorities go I'd put size in front of picture quality but at the same time I still would like the picture to look halfway decent. Smart features aren't something I need as I have a Roku box.

Honestly, I know next to nothing about shopping for a television so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
You should check out recent online reviews at www.soundandvision.com , specifically the reviews for the Vizio 60" M601d-A3R and the Toshiba 58L73000.

The Vizio turned out to have contrast ratio of 36.000:1 and black level measured at 0.003 ft-L, both excellent results and also no LED edge "clouding" to distract viewing, as long as its "smart LED dimming" function in set to ON, which was imperative to achieve such results.

The Toshiba displayed contrast ratio of 5.300:1 and black level of 0.005 ft-L, both solid results with no picture clouding/banding/streaks noticed.

From member feedback at Consumer's Report, it appears that Vizio has as low a rate of problems/deffects/ returns as Sharp, Sony and Samsung at about 3%.

I believe the msrp for the Vizio is $1,400.00 and for the Toshiba $1,100.00.

I would recommend as well that you do a quick search at Amazon.com for user reviews of both models, as it appears that Vizio does not get high marks for customer satisfaction.

Hope that helps a bit with your decision...

Reactions: DvdJags

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I recently did some intensive shopping and research for a new 60" set to replace my old 60-inch Mitsubishi DLP set.

One thing that you have to watch out for is some of the problems with certain models.

I decided to avoid the Vizios because of lots of problems where the audio and video were out of sync badly. Don't need that.

I decided on the Sony KDL60-550A, because it has both 5.1 optical audio out and analog audio out, which I need for my 2.1 audio system.

It also had some of the highest ratings in Consumer Reports for both picture and sound quality (of the built-in speakers, for casual use).

I got it from Amazon for $1299. I recommend it.

Most retailers are out of the 2013 models now, however, so I suggest that you wait a couple of months for the 2014 models.

There will be a better selection then, and maybe better deals.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522619/best-tv-900-dollars-can-buy-on-amazon#post_24485840

I recently did some intensive shopping and research for a new 60" set to replace my old 60-inch Mitsubishi DLP set.

One thing that you have to watch out for is some of the problems with certain models.

I decided to avoid the Vizios because of lots of problems where the audio and video were out of sync badly. Don't need that.

I decided on the Sony KDL60-550A, because it has both 5.1 optical audio out and analog audio out, which I need for my 2.1 audio system.

It also had some of the highest ratings in Consumer Reports for both picture and sound quality (of the built-in speakers, for casual use).

I got it from Amazon for $1299. I recommend it.

Most retailers are out of the 2013 models now, however, so I suggest that you wait a couple of months for the 2014 models.

There will be a better selection then, and maybe better deals.

It's the second thread I have found where you are making a reference to this problem with Vizio TVs. I have read many reviews of 2013 Vizio TVs including this CNET review which rates the 2103 Vizio M Series as one of the best buys right now: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m551d-a2r/4505-6482_7-35781765.html

In all the Vizio reviews I have read, I have never seen any reference to this sync issue you keep mentioning - could you please provide some links to third party reviews to support your assertion of this common problem with Vizio TVs?

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
+1 on the VIZIO E600i-B3 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full-Array LED it's $899.00 at Amazon Target may have it cheaper .
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E600i-B3-60-Inch-1080p-Full-Array/dp/B00GTE0VJ6

or another choice
http://www.target.com/p/vizio-50-class-1080p-120hz-e-series-full-array-led-smart-tv-black-e500i-b1/-/A-14408504#prodSlot=medium_1_3

50" Visio E500i-B1 $649.00 at Target that leaves money for a Blue Ray Player or PS3

or something to put it on .

Don't own a Visio (Samsung Plasma ,Sony and Toshiba LED here) but I saw this 50"Visio set at Target recently it looked pretty good both Visio E series B1 and B3 models are 2014 sets with (FALD) full array local dimming LED back light (that helps out the contrast/picture quality and is usually in more expensive sets )

I'm sure the 60" is good also it's the same set only bigger . The Sony Bravia KDL 50R550A or KDL 60R550A are nice sets and all but might be over budget . I have the KDL 40R450A in my bedroom it's a nice 40" set ( 5000:1 contrast Samsung SPVA panel in it )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts