AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new TV... 50" and up (60" and higher preferred)... price does not really matter, but if you can & know, please share pricing details...

Obviously out-of-the-box display is one thing, post-calibration is another...

Since I will be professionally calibrating the TV, I was wondering what the best TV currently is after professional calibration ?

Please share your opinions and experiences !

What TV sets do all of you professional calibrators own ?

Which TV has the best controls for calibration (service menu & user menu) ?

Thanks.

- M

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration#post_22234911

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new TV... 50" and up (60" and higher preferred)... price does not really matter, but if you can & know please share pricing details...

Obviously out-of-the-box is one thing, post-calibration is another...

Since I will be professionally calibrating the TV, I was wondering what the best TV currently is after professional calibration ?

Thanks.

- M
- D-Nice : 5 kuros

- David Mackenzie (HDTVtest) : panasonic 50ST50

- Some PRO calibrators (I don't remember all the names from AVS Forum) : panasonic VT50 and Samsung E7000/E8000

·
Registered
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration#post_22234911

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new TV... 50" and up (60" and higher preferred)... price does not really matter, but if you can & know, please share pricing details...

Obviously out-of-the-box display is one thing, post-calibration is another...

Thanks.

- M

Hi Mike,

As of now that would be the Panasonic VT50 series. Go for the TC-P65VT50. It is awesome both before and especially after professional calibration.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:

VT50
65VT50.pdf 370k .pdf file

Quote:

Panasonic 65VT50

Samsung PN51D8000

Mitsubishi L75-A94 LaserVue

Quote:

It's a tossup but I'm fond of the 10 point gamma control on the VT50 as it is a time saver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ all: thank you for your suggestions !

Currently I have narrowed it down to these 3, which also appear to be in the same price range (give or take):

> Panasonic 65VT50 (I hope that a FW update fixes the CMS luminance controls)

> Sony HX929 (surprised it wasn't mentioned here, as it seemed to have gotten great results after calibration)

> Mitsubishi L75-A94 (I have enough room for RPTV)

What do you think ? Any reason(s) to avoid any of these (problem or calibration wise) ? Does the Mit still have the white dots issue ? Which one would you choose pic quality wise ?

Thanks !

- M

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Seeing all the plasmas in the list, I have to ask: what's the best LED/LCD TV after full calibration?

·
Registered
12,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration#post_22245520

If you mean ever made, then IMO the Sony HX929 or LG LHX (not available anymore).

currently being sold

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration/0_100#post_22246074

currently being sold

I'm packing up the HX929 to send back to Sony now and it's a truly fantastic looking LCD display, though I'd still get a plasma just because of off-axis viewing, at least for my situation. The lack of an internal CMS for the price is an annoyance as well, though the stock color is pretty dang good.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration#post_22246768

I'm packing up the HX929 to send back to Sony now and it's a truly fantastic looking LCD display, though I'd still get a plasma just because of off-axis viewing, at least for my situation. The lack of an internal CMS for the price is an annoyance as well, though the stock color is pretty dang good.

@Smackrabbit: could you elaborate a little further on your decision to give the HX929 back ? Which CMS controls were you missing ? Does off-axis viewing refer to the viewing angle ?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike  /t/1421085/best-tv-after-pro-calibration#post_22247381

@Smackrabbit: could you elaborate a little further on your decision to give the HX929 back ? Which CMS controls were you missing ? Does off-axis viewing refer to the viewing angle ?
My guess is he received a review sample and is sending it back.

I don't think the HX929 has any CMS control. Primary and secondaries are pretty darn good as is though.

By off-axis, yes he means viewing angles. All LCDs pale in comparison to Plasmas. Only IPS panels offer decent viewing angles, but still no match for a Plasma. That's why I feel that, personally, the best LCD ever made was the LG LHX. IPS panel so decent viewing angles, excellent color thanks to the extensive picture controls (CMS albeit 2D only, 10pt gamma / w/b) and excellent black levels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts