AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is my 1st post. I'm your typical poor college student type looking to get a new tv. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I want a progressive scan capable of 480p (more if possible) for playing games on, and eventually dvds. I'd like to spend less than 1000 but I can probably go a little higher. Of course I'd also like the biggest screen as I could get as well, and at least 1 set of component inputs. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For about 1000$, you could get a Sony 32" like the kv32FS13... it can do anamorphic squeeze for DVD's. You could also get a Samsung 27" HDTV...TSL2793HF or TSL2795HF

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't know where you are located, but you might want to check out large retailers to see if they have any repo/demo/floor model HDTVs that they would sell you a lot cheaper than new ones. You could probably get balance of warranty, or get them to give you some other kind of warranty if you are concerned about that (though generally if the electronics are going to fail they do so early on).

There is a big retailer clearance center near me that always has a couple of HDTVs -- sometimes a little scratched/dented or dusty, or missing remotes/manuals or something, but generally work fine. Selection varies day-day, but tell them what you want and have someone call you if it comes in.

Don't be afraid to dicker -- they want to move this stuff and get rid of it to make room for the next truck load. Prices are a starting point. Or have them throw in some speakers or a DVD player or something -- whatever is laying around on a table, maybe with some missing bits (the place I went to had a load of computers around -- no monitors or keyboards or other stuff but decent boxes cheap cheap whose value drops by the minute). You spend 10 minutes beating on them, with plastic in hand ready to buy, and it is amazing what your $/hr return can be! Kinda like buying a used car. (My wife refuses to go with me to buy stuff -- she gets embarassed but always likes the results.)

WARNING: I did this when I was a poor college student too, and the positive reinforcement got me contaminated for life! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

------------------

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.