AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've been looking for a TV now for over a year and I'm going to buy something next month come hell or high water. It will be used mainly for DVD and some surfing and I'm open to any type of TV in the $2500 US range except FPTV. I need your suggestions because due to my location I can't go and see a new TV let alone connect a PC to it. I would greatly value your opinions on this because I may have to buy sight unseen. Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
On the off chance that you're using the rare and unpopular expansion of FPTV as "Flat Panel Television" (rather than the locally commonly accepted "Front Projection Television"), I'll offer the opinion that Curt Palme can get you a better image for your money than any new Rear Projection Television or any Direct View set.

What Curt Palme sells is used CRT projectors. (No tuner, of course, but you indicated your HTPC will supply the signals, so that shouldn't be an issue.) They can be configured for front- or rear-projection, ceiling or tabletop mounting. Curt is already in Canada, and he's very easy to work with; very helpful.

If you haven't completely ruled out setting up a projector, check out the CRT forum, and/or get on Curt's available projectors email list.

Anti-disclaimer: My only relationship with Curt is as a satisfied customer.

Good luck.

-yogaman

P.S. No matter what you choose, that year that you've waited has been worthwhile: at least here locally, street prices on RPTVs have dropped $1000 or more in that time. Good planning, I'd say. :)

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have been very happy with my Sony KP61HS10 61" rear-projection set, and you may be able to get the HS30 (current model) for US$2500 or so. The only thing it lacks that mine has, is an RGB input; you have to convert to component input with this set.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info so far. The only reason I have ruled out front projection is that the projectors in my price range have a low luminance so I would have to make the room pretty dark. This doesn't sit well with my wife because she likes to do things while she watches TV that requires light. On top of this we will soon be getting 24hr daylight up here which makes it even harder to control the lighting because it’s sunny all the time. The other big problem is the cost of replacement bulbs because the TV would be used a lot and I would have to replace the bulb every couple of months. There are three of us at my house all working shift work so the TV is on all day and night. In a dedicated HT room I would consider a FPTV but I won’t be building one for at least another 3 years. Any more suggestions guys?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I love my 36XBR400, but it's not the "ideal" htpc set...takes some tweaking to get to work properly with vid card sources. Also, beware the uneven brightness problem that sometimes plagues the sets.....

Other ideas...Panasonic Tau 34" widescreen..

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
875 Posts
I picked up a Toshiba 57" WS HDTV Monitor for right around $2000 from Best Buy. I think it looks great!! My wife loves it, and I just got DTV and was watching stuff last night on it and I was in awe.

Dizzy

·
Registered
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boykster
I love my 36XBR400, but it's not the "ideal" htpc set...takes some tweaking to get to work properly with vid card sources. Also, beware the uneven brightness problem that sometimes plagues the sets.....

Other ideas...Panasonic Tau 34" widescreen..

As an owner of a Panasonic Tau 32" 4x3 set, I can say I'd stay away from them for HTPC, not so easy to get good results, although I'm sure it's possible. If I were buying a new set with HTPC in mind, I'd get something that had a VGA input and was proven to be a good monitor for a PC.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Are there any RPTV's in my price range that have a VGA connection? I'm already aware of most of the direct view sets that have a VGA connection, most of which are hard to get in Canada.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't rule out a TV just because it doesn't have VGA in; a transcoder will take VGA and convert it to component. The price for them is reasonable, too, considering what you are planning to spend.

Al

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I think many or most of the Mitsubishi RPTV sets have RGB ("VGA") inputs, but I have not been impressed with their power supplies. Watch a demo of a channel like MTV or MuchMusic, that has a lot of fast scene and brightness changes along with a logo in the corner of the picture, and you will see the logo bouncing/jiggling around in the corner as the screen brightness changes. Their newer sets may not have this problem, but older ones all did. Using a VGA-to-component transcoder is not that much of a loss in quality over a true straight-through RGB connection, I have heard.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the case of a transcoder would I not be stuck at 640x480 or would I be able to do 800x6oo? Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Using a transcoder with a video card that allows you to do custom resolutions, you can do better than 640x480. There have been many posts about how to do custom resolutions using powerstrip. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it...

Jeff

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys has anyone seen the RCA D52130 or have any experience with last years model the MM52110? The reason I ask is because it has a SVGA connection and Future Shop has them at a good price. At the same time I don't want to have bad PQ just for a 15pin connection and if they suck I don't want to waste my time trying to see one when I go down to Ottawa. Thanks.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would recommend the MM52110, but not the D52130. I have the Proscan version of the MM52100 and I have said before how much I like it. The newer models (as far as I know) do not have 800x600 PC capability. They do have a built in line doubler, which the older ones do not.

So, if you are going to use the TV with a PC only and scale most or all video through the PC and want great PC usability and PQ, then get the MM52100. If you want the line doubler built in and not the PC compatiblity, the D52130 may be better.

-Gergg

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have the RCA MM36120 and got it new at best buy for $1200 at Christmas. The SVGA input is hooked to a laptop that I use for DVD playback. When I use the laptop the picture is amazing. But when you input NTSC the combing and fill are pretty bad. Also, I am not thirlled with the text when I surf the net. It just does a poor job of scaling. Also, be acreful it has 2 VGA inputs, one

·
Registered
827 Posts
continuing, It has 2 vga inputs, one for PC and one for HD. The HD has a higher input speed on the circuitry to handle 1080. The component inputs are not progessive, thats what I hear.

So if you use powerstrip to up the resolution from your PC into the HD, use the HTPC to rx and scale your input signals and DVD, the picture should be quite good for a low price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.