AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new gaming TV. It will be primarily for big screen Xbox gaming. Other uses (although secondary in importance) is HDTV football and watching the occasional DVD (once a month on average, not big on that).

I also have a GameCube, but don't play it much. So this will need to be Xbox centered.

I want PICTURE QUALITY above all else. Thinking of either Plasma or a Sammy DLP. Anything else worth mentioning? So what is everyone's opinion?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Panasonic 6 series 42 inch ED plasma. Available for under $3k tax-free shipped.

If 42 inch is enough, and you want a plasma, then there you go.........

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what's the native resolution? and can it do 720p? can you give me the link on where i get that deal? thanks for the help also!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Dont bother with plasma with a 5k budget. ED can't display HDTV anyway. Knowing zero about your room I would recomend a 60 " Sony Grand Wega

How far do you sit from the screen?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that's another thing. we currently rent, but are buying a new home in the next month or so, so I don't know the answer to that yet. :/

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'll second the Panasonic ED plasma recommendation. I've got one (third generation) and for a 42" screen I think it's unbeatable.

It's true that it doesn't display above 480p, but it does accept a 720p or 1080i signal. You in effect get fullscreen AA when the signal is downconverted, and everything except The Matrix looks spectacular at 720p resolution (the Matrix was actually 1080i, but it still didn't look that good, unfortunately).

It also looks fantastic with DVD's and true HD.

Go to a store where they actually have some sets calibrated properly (which may be hard to find) and have a look for yourself. No matter the type of screen you get, the manufacturer of the screen will be important. Some plasmas look great--others don't. It's true for all types of screens.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Plasma's are nice, but there's so many 4:3 games out there. Having to play games in stretch mode is awful I think. I'd for the the DLP.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the Sammy DLP (61"). All my Xbox & PC games look great on it, even the 480p games that I usually play stretched. For $5k, you can get the TV, warranty, tax, and maybe a nice stand.

The only complaint is the issue when you plug the Xbox into a 480p/720p/1080i input you can't see the Dashboard or watch DVDs through it because these are only output in 480i. Not a huge deal, but you have to swap the cables around anytime you want to get into the Dashboard. If this is a big deal to you, look for a TV that has universal inputs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you can control the ambient light in your room, I'd go front projection. Actually, I wish I had, and this coming from a guy with a 43" Samsung DLP.

For

·
Registered
123 Posts
You may want to take a look at the Panasonic 50lc13 or the Hitachi 50 v500. These are both lcd tvs that Circuit City and Sears are selling for around $3000. Some people are posting much better deals. Check the rerspective threads under display devices. LCDs have no burn-in issues and seem to have less visual artifacts than the DLPs. They also seem to be better at displaying standard definition sources than DLPs, but they have their issues as well (stuck pixels, etc.) Each of these will be available in a 60 as well as the new Sony GWIIIs and a Zenith within the next month.

-Jon

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If you're willing to spend $5k and willing to wait.

Toshiba's second-generation LCoS set will be the one worth waiting for.

It has a 1080p native resolution and none of the potential "rainbow"

problems of the DLPs. But it may be quite a while (2Q '04) before there

is any real consumer availability.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Big L
Two things: 1) AFAIK, all DLP RPTV's are widescreen (16:9), just like plasma screens. 2) Since most videogames, by their very nature, offer a "warped" sense of reality, the majority of them do NOT look bad stretched out, IMO. But it depends on the stretch mode. With my set, it'll take a 4:3 signal and stretch the WHOLE thing horizontally, giving the whole image a stretched look as opposed to some stretch modes that only stretch the sides and leave the middle of the image untouched. That looks like garbage IMO.
Yes, but my point was that even though DLP's are widescreen you can run them in 4:3 mode with no worries of burn-in. Not so with plasmas.

I can't imagine stretching games in any fashion. To my eye it just looks wrong, and bad, and unacceptable in most cases. Also it seems kind of backwards to buy several thousand dollar (or plus) displays and then screw up the picture by warping it. I'd rather put up with bars on the sides than that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.