AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best TV Tuner card for best capture quality ( & supports D scaler)

I gathered from the forum that the hauppage PVR 250 gives the best quality RECORDING, VHS tapes, cable and TV programs into the hard disk.

The main draw being the hardware encoder card

1) MY PROBLEM IS THAT THIS CARD is not compatabile with D SCALER because it does not contains connexant chipset & thus not supported.

2) I Was told that since I am getting a Pentium 2.4 Ghz( 512KB) with 512 MB DDR 333 memory, A software encoding solution such as Pinnacle PC TV Pro ( supports D scaler) would obtain a recording quality AS GOOD AS Huppage PVR 250 ?

3) I believe despite getting a software solution, saving it in Mpeg 2 still gves the best quality as compared to saving it in MPEG 4 (DivX)

4) How is the Prolink Pixelview PVR card with its software encoding compared to Pinnacle PC TV Pro ..?? `

b) IS IT SUPPORTED BY de-scaler ?

5) SO WHAT:S THE TV CAPTURE CARD THAT gives best recording quality & supports D scaler ?

THANKS

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think most here would say Flyvideo 2000. I am happy with mine, a noticeable improvement over WinTV Go.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Can anyone comment on the TV tuner quality of the flyvideo card vs. the Leadtek TV2000XP? I am presently running the mono version of the Leadtek card and have not been overly impressed by the TV quality. It is watchable, but nothing to brag about, even after significant tweaking with Dscaler. My main observation is that the Leadtek colors are somewhat dull, and the image is very soft. This also applies to the performance of good quality sources through the S-input. I would consider the Flyvideo card, but only if the improvement is significant.

Has anyone seen both cards in action and can comment?

·
Registered
347 Posts
*bump*

I've noticed the same thing - running a cheap Zoltrix TV-Genie capture card - the colors are blah, picture is soft, and even with the ground-plane mod there is significant noise.

After watching a DVD, the Zoltrix looks more like a "Rabbit-ear" feed!

I'm very tempted to move to the FlyVideo 2000 or 3000 - but would love to hear some other experiences.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know the PVR-350 runs 24/7, and encodes to MPEG2 on your HD, even when watching live TV (thereby allowing pausing of live TV). If you use your video card's out to TV, then DScaler should work fine. The only reason why it wouldn't work is if you're using the TV-card's TV out...

Am I correct in this assessment? If you're playing an MPEG-2 off the HD, it should be able to be scaled when going through your video card.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.