AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in finding a used (or new if I'm lucky) DVD recorder with Hard Drive and TVGOS. Is there a list somewhere of such devices?

Also, I'd be interested in a new device if it has and ATSC tuner, Hard Drive and TVGOS.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey /forum/post/14194200

Also, I'd be interested in a new device if it has and ATSC tuner, Hard Drive and TVGOS.

If there were such a device, we'd be all over it like a chicken on a June bug (or however that saying goes) and there would be a huge thread about it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/14194898

If there were such a device, we'd be all over it like a chicken on a June bug (or however that saying goes) and there would be a huge thread about it.

That's what I thought. That's why I'm hoping to do the next best thing: Pair a DVD HDD recorder with TVGOS to a DTVPal.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey /forum/post/14194200

I'm interested in finding a used (or new if I'm lucky) DVD recorder with Hard Drive and TVGOS. Is there a list somewhere of such devices?

Go to Amazon.com, and search 'dvd recorders'. There are some used EH85s and E75s up for sale, but the asking prices are pretty high....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/14195145

Go to Amazon.com, and search 'dvd recorders'. There are some used EH85s and E75s up for sale, but the asking prices are pretty high....

Your not kidding! $500 and $700 is a scam for those machines. I could buy a new Tivo with lifetime subscription for that amount.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thread renamed

·
Registered
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey /forum/post/14195088

That's what I thought. That's why I'm hoping to do the next best thing: Pair a DVD HDD recorder with TVGOS to a DTVPal.

It still remains to be seen that this will work; is digital TVGOS even being transmitted yet? The older Panasonic recorders from the DMR EH-85 to the DMR EH-55 have HDD, TVGOS (that works reliably) and G-link IR blasters for controling STBs. These units would be the prime candidates for the DTVPal. I'm biding my time and waiting for someone (in the other forum) to take receipt of a DTVPal and demonstrate it can be controlled by a Panasonic and that it really does convert digital TVGOS to analog for the DVDR.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/14197314

It still remains to be seen that this will work; is digital TVGOS even being transmitted yet? The older Panasonic recorders from the DMR EH-85 to the DMR EH-55 have HDD, TVGOS (that works reliably) and G-link IR blasters for controling STBs. These units would be the prime candidates for the DTVPal. I'm biding my time and waiting for someone (in the other forum) to take receipt of a DTVPal and demonstrate it can be controlled by a Panasonic and that it really does convert digital TVGOS to analog for the DVDR. I thought Rammitinski would be first, but he informs me he has been screwed by the vendor he ordered from and lost his voucher.

Kelson - thanks for the response. I believe digital TVGOS is being transmitted via CBS stations. I believe some users of the Sony DVRs are using it. They talk about it in the Sony HDTV recorder thread.

·
Registered
13,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey /forum/post/14197437

Kelson - thanks for the response. I believe digital TVGOS is being transmitted via CBS stations. I believe some users of the Sony DVRs are using it. They talk about it in the Sony HDTV recorder thread.

OK, that's good to know. I didn't see that as being an issue because sooner or later digital TVGOS was going to come on-line with CBS. The main hurdle I see, which has to be proven out, is whether or not the Panasonic IR blaster will be able to control the DTVPal. Recent reports from the CECB forum (I see you there) report the DTVPal uses Dish control codes and can be controlled by a Dish receiver remote. I don't know if any of the Panasonics can issue the Dish remote codes.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Apparently, according to the manual, the DTVPal uses a Scientific Atlanta cable box code.

If Dish remotes can control it, they must be using that same SA code. (I have Dish, and I never realized that - hope it's not true, because I don't want them to interfere. Sometimes I'm recording things from Dish while I'm watching OTA, and vice-versa.)

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Whidbey, whatever you do DON"T buy a older Pioneer DVDR w/HDD and TVGOS. It would not be a good investment, they have many problems.

As far as Pannys, I see you live in Wa. Not sure how far you're from a larger Canadian city, eg. Vancouver, but if you hurry you may be able to pick up a EH-55 at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy). They were clearancing them out last month for $299 NIB. You might want to call before driving.

The EH55 would be your best bet IMO. They don't ship to the US, you'd have to make the drive or have a relative ship one for you.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
jjeff - that reminds me - did you notice if your Canadian EH55 had the options for Dish and Direct in the setup (if you've set up the TVGOS, that is)?

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
Yes it does, and I also believe Minneapolis is one of the cities that is currently broadcasting digital TVGOS on our CBS channel WCCO channel 4.

I doubt I'll have my DTVPal before mid July though, if even that. I want to get it B&M and will wait until then. Wait, I don't have my IR blaster yet though

No word from Future Shop in reply to my letter. I suppose I could just fork over the $20 (or less from replacement remotes.com), it's just more the idea that they said my unit was "complete" which it wasn't. I won't be back to Canada B4 Sept.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/14199572

Whidbey, whatever you do DON"T buy a older Pioneer DVDR w/HDD and TVGOS. It would not be a good investment, they have many problems.

As far as Pannys, I see you live in Wa. Not sure how far you're from a larger Canadian city, eg. Vancouver, but if you hurry you may be able to pick up a EH-55 at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy). They were clearancing them out last month for $299 NIB. You might want to call before driving.

The EH55 would be your best bet IMO. They don't ship to the US, you'd have to make the drive or have a relative ship one for you.

Thanks! I'm about 100 miles south of Vancouver - drive time varies greatly depending on border crossing.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/14199753

I suppose I could just fork over the $20 (or less from replacement remotes.com).

If they still have it. They only had two last week.

Jeez, I wouldn't mind getting one of those Canadian EH55's for myself, now that I know they'd work with Dish. It would sure beat the 80GB's of my EH75 (even though the SP mode is just fine and makes it go a lot further).

·
Registered
11,578 Posts
I've been using XP almost exclusively on my HDD. With DVDs it wasn't practical but with the HDD I think I get something like 48 hours XP. Not sure if I'll be able to keep it up during the winter months when TV shows are first run, but for now since the summer repeats are on it's been working just fine.

I used to think people that used XP were just being too fussy and I really couldn't tell a difference. I've now wised up and joined the legion of XP'ers. Especially when recording from my CM-7000 off a HD channel. I CAN see a difference, but of course the source makes the biggest single difference, the XP speed just retains more of that initial quality.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Theres a pretty strong consensus that anyone who wants the (analog) TVGOS feature should stick with Panasonic models, they seem to have the most reliable implementation of that feature. Unfortunately they were pulled from the USA market two years ago, and were just recently pulled from Canada as well, leaving ZERO replacement options for anyone in North America. The last one sold in Canada was the Panasonic EH55, and the closeouts are selling like water in the desert: if you can get to a Canadian dealer, RUN, run now, do not wait because prices second hand are getting insane and people tend to keep and use these, not resell them. Just have realistic expectations in mind with regard to the DTVpal or any other supplemental ATSC box used with an IR blaster: the ATSC sideband channels wreak havoc with the IR blaster function on many recorders, making it not always accurate. You will need to do a lot of fine tuning to your setup.

Personally I wouldn't bother. After the final USA digital transition next year, TVGOS will be making a comeback in ATSC-only products. While with Panasonic this will probably take the form of (non-HDD) DVD / DVD-RAM recorders only, there is an excellent chance Phillips will update their popular 3576 DVD/HDD recorder with the new digital TVGOS. They already market similar functions in Europe and are just waiting for the analog shutdown here. Phillips has come a long way since its first batch of uninspiring DVD recorders: the 3576 may not be as slick as a Panny but it has a solid ATSC tuner, is reliable, is easily *available* in the US, and would be a hell of a lot easier to manage than an obsolete analog EH55 and DTVpal. If you can stall your purchase for 7 or 8 months, we are almost sure to get a Phillips 3576 with TVGOS next year.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/14206382

Personally I wouldn't bother. After the final USA digital transition next year, TVGOS will be making a comeback in ATSC-only products.

Are you forgetting that nothing made and sold here in the last two years can even hold a candle to many of the older HDD models with TVGOS?

That's the real reason why the majority of the old recorder owners want to keep their machines (and the TVGOS) functioning.

Also, I can vouch for the fact that the PQ from the Zenith and the Channel Master CECB boxes blows away the PQ from the Philips' internal ATSC tuner. And since the DTVPal's PQ is only supposed to be a step below those models, I'd still expect it's noticably better than the Philips'.

Plus, adding something like a DTVPal, even at full price, will be a lot cheaper than buying a new 3576H, especially since adding TVGOS to that may very well jack up the price even more.

That being said, I will probably still be very interested in something like a 3576H with digital TVGOS - but if they don't improve the PQ from the digital tuner than I won't even consider it.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14207552

Are you forgetting that nothing made and sold here in the last two years can even hold a candle to many of the older HDD models with TVGOS? That's the real reason why the majority of the old recorder owners want to keep their machines (and the TVGOS) functioning.

No, I didn't forget: actually the first thing I said in my last post was to recommend Panasonic as the way to go for an analog TVGOS machine, and I advised the original poster to move asap to acquire one before the last remaining stock in Canada disappears. I'm well aware of the obsessive desire some members have to maintain their older units, including me: I've amassed a dozen complete spare burners for my three generations of Pioneers that I love.

But its a fine line, and a LOT depends on the individual users expectations and past experience. For instance, while I understand the fascination TVGOS holds for many as a "free TiVO" alternative, I am utterly non-plussed by it myself. I prefer setting manual timers for the control they give me and I find them easier because I make use of many cable channels that require a cable decoder box. In my experience, the dealbreaker for all of these TVGOS and other systems is the IR blaster: its a pill to make work with my neighborhood's cable boxes, just not reliable enough to depend on. So for me, manual timers are more direct and easy. Of course its a ***** having to set the cable box timer as well, but at least that one is point and click.

Those who've NEVER OWNED a classic analog Panasonic (or any other make) DVR with TVGOS should probably not run out and spend a kings ransom on one right now, with the thought that adding an external DTV tuner is a piece of cake and guaranteed to work with its IR blaster: I've seen too many reports of the TVGOS IR blaster setting the wrong subchannels on the DTV adapter boxes. Existing Panasonic owners have a history with their machines and may well find its worth it to spend inflated sums to buy additional second-hand backup or replacement units, but I don't think it makes much sense for a newbie to go that route- especially if they want OTA ATSC.

The Phillips 3576 isn't perfect, but some of you lose sight of the fact not *everyone* is looking for perfect video: they're looking for "an easy cheap timeshift recorder that doesn't require a monthly service fee, and to hell with the finer points"- adding digital TVGOS to the 3576 would make it ideal for those people. I'm not terribly fond of the Phillips because I was weaned on Pioneers and I prefer their editing interface. But since Phillips is apparently the last remaining mfr willing to update their HDD-equipped recorders for ATSC in the USA and Canada, blowing them off as "crap" would be counterproductive in the long run. Keep in mind we're now stuck in a "beggars can't be choosers" market and will have to make the best of it.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14207552

Also, I can vouch for the fact that the PQ from the Zenith and the Channel Master CECB boxes blows away the PQ from the Philips' internal ATSC tuner. And since the DTVPal's PQ is only supposed to be a step below those models, I'd still expect it's noticably better than the Philips'.

I thought I smelled some rank ******** in here!

So, now you're comparing the PQ from an ATSC/digital tuner connected directly to an OTA antenna with the Philips 3575 you had connected via S-Video to your SD Dish, which you admitted several times to other people (in unguarded moments) was pretty bad PQ to start with. I've seen SD Dish and it's absolutely TERRIBLE to start with! Even your beloved Pannys couldn't make SD Dish look good!!!

You are one hateful dude!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts