AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the largest UHF only antenna from Radio shack. It's the U-120 R and it's 102". the antennaweb.org suggested a medium directional with amplifier. The antenna I bought isn't amplified so I bought radio shacks high gain antenna-mounted signal amplifier. Is this the best antenna amplifier combo I can get? I'm using the antenna for DTV stations and can only receive them at night and then some nights are better than others.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Steve,

Please state what stations you're trying to get and at what distance (air miles).Only then can anyone make recommendations on what might work better for you.Also state a general description of the terrain between your location and the transmitting towers.The height of your antenna above ground level would help also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Steve

Is that Windsor, Canada or Windsor, California??

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer everyones questions. The towers are all on the same hill in San Francisco which is about 70-80 miles away from us. We are definitely on the fringe. There is the Marin head lands between the towers and us. Our antenna is 20' off the ground and we have it rigged so we can retract it in the daytime. We live in a home owners association and they don't allow those types of antenna so we sneek it up at night. We live in Windsor California I forgot CA could also mean Canada.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Steve,

I'm located in Petaluma and use the Channel master 4248 and their 7775 pre-amp and get great results. I get all the locals (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, etc) broadcst from Sutro tower. Give Steve a call at Basham's electronics in Santa Rosa. He is very helpful and knowledgable about OTA reception in our area.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MFB,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll call Basham's.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:
Is that Windsor, Canada or Windsor, California??
HAHAHAHA - Having grown up in London, Canada, I was thinking the *exact* same thing, because in Windsor, Ontario, one could probably pick up the Detroit DTV stations pretty easy. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.