AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With every antenna installation being somewhat unique, and my searches leaving me unsure, I will just come out and ask. For those of you in the Plymouth, Canton, Livonia area, what antenna are you having success with? I am planning on purchasing the new Zenith HD STB as soon as its available. It seems logical to have an antenna to receive VHF and FM so I don't have to pay DTV extra each month for locals. I supose there is also the possibility that digital broadcasts may shift to VHF down the road. If you would like to recommend a quality installer in the area please feel free to advise. Thanks Randy

·
Registered
559 Posts
Randy,

I'm in Plymouth and have been trying various indoor antennas with a Samsung SIR-T150 stb. So far, the best results have been with a Radio Shack Amplified High Gain antenna (part #15-1862). It has VHF/FM and UHF elements, and a 36dB gain. I also tried the Radio Shack double bow-tie and Megawave antennas (both with and without a separate amplifier), but neither of those worked as well as the RS amplified unit.

FYI, our house is a colonial, but the antenna is on the first floor. The houses behind me are about 6-8 feet higher than our second floor and are directly between me and the transmitters in Southfield.

I may eventually break down and install an external antenna, but mounting and running cable will not be easy. For now, with the little HDTV we watch, this antenna works okay. I do get some occasional signal dropouts and need to reposition the unit slightly to pick up different stations.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Randy,

Check your Private Messages.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in Plymouth and successfully receive OTA using the cheapest RS outdoor antenna (about $20) lying on the floor of my attic of my two story house-- the advantage of using an inexpensive antenna is that it has a wider beam pattern--and the HDTV signals are broadcast from two sites--from Plymouth they are only a 10-15 degrees apart, but if you use a hi gain antenna, you have to adjust between the two all the time. You give up gain but you don't need it--we are only 15 miles from the antenna sites.

Also, you ought to consider a DTC100--from the amount of traffic , the Panasonic and the Sony still have a few bugs--they are worked out on the RCA. Will Zenith have bugs at launch???

Good luck--HDTV is fantastic!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
wow, everyone is in plymouth (ann arbor rd and haggerty here)

next summer i am going to go with a roof/pole mounted antenna as i also want to pull in toledo/lansing and even some canadian stations, I too will get the zenith box

maybe since we all live so close together we could exchange e-mails

e-mail me at

[email protected]

BILL

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help and yes there are many of us in the area. Advance Satelite is in Plymouth and recommends the Winegard 7000 VHF/UHF/FM antenna. He wants $250 to install it without a rotor which I don't thing I need. Its not a done deal yet so please keep the advise coming. As for the DTC-100 vs the Zenith, you are right, the unit could be a complete dog but as with all the previous STB's I have my hopes up and will pay close attention to the first posts on its performance. If it does not live up to expectations, the DTC will get my vote. Randy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff, thats a pretty decent looking antenna. I really appreciate the recommendation. By the way, when John Gannon was here to ISF my 510 he had great things to say about you. Do you also have the Sencore HD singnal generator? Thanks Randy

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have designed a couple of DTV specific, UFH and even a VHF antenna, they are reasonably priced and manufactured by Gemini, right here in the USA. There is a Multipath rejecting Yagi that is only two feet long and a 21†dish that can be mounted on a roof or the side of the house. The VHF is vertical and also small, the UHF Yagi can be mounted to the top for a UHF/VHF combo. We showed this particular set up at CEDIA this year.

Any oh these would work fine for your application.

------------------

Jim Burns
www.dtvconsultants.com

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
maybe someone who is more computer saavy then me could start a yahoo/e-group and we could post items that are pertinent to our geographical area

also where is this sattelite place locaed in plymouth?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There once was such a yahoo group but I believe it died for lack of posts and the more frequented AVS forum. Advanced Satelite is at 746 N Mill 800-983-3333 (I hope posting a phone number is OK). It seemed logical that they would have more intimate knowledge regarding signal strength and therefore proper configuration. I live in a heavily forested neighborhood and may need larger gain antenna plus an atenuator (sp?) to accomodate the seasonal changes. Randy

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Randy, and Jeff

I have been considering the same situation. I have tried the RS Double Bowtie indoor and the Antiference from the UK as well. Both did ok from the above ground basement location in Northville, but could not get all channels without moving them. I have an attic antenna(came with) but the last people who worked on it could not get to do all digital channels either.

I probably should take Jeffs recommendation and go for the outdoor Channelmaster. In your installation Jeff, is that fixed or rotating, and is there a local place to buy Channelmaster from?

As for our "local community" here in the West Detroit Burbs, it seems a shame not to have some better way to communicate with our other selves, to learn and share information, other than the odd time there is a locally oriented post that happens to catch this groups attention.

------------------

Thanks,

ep

·
Registered
559 Posts
Randy,

Have you done business with Advanced Satellite before, and if so, would you recommend them? If I decide to let someone else climb around on my roof I would like to find a company close to home.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
I've visited their offices before, they seem like a good bet for a project. If I wasn't the type that liked doing my own work, I would have tried them by now. They specialize in commercial satellite and master antenna systems and for consumer work prefer to stay in the Plymouth area.

The main contacts are Gus & Cliff, mention my name when you call, (734) 416-5550.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hal,

Hmmmm!! Why didn't I do that when I had it? Now I will have to go buy one again but, if it works its worth it. I get to go play monkey in the asbestos and rafters. So if it doesn't work I'll know why I didn't do it in the first place.

Do you also get 9, 20, 50 and 56 with that?

------------------

Thanks,

ep

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hello all:

I get my CH-Master from a large distributor, so if you need one, and can wait a couple weeks, give me a call, and I can get it for you. I do not rotate, but split the difference between the two most NE and NEE towers over in Southfield for best signal. This give great results for all HDTV channels, and about 50% of the Analog are near perfect.

I wish I could spend more time enjoying, and less time on my two jobs, but my 2nd job keeps me really happy - THANKS EVERYONE!

I do have the CA-1 Color Analyzer, not the Sencore. If I officially became an ISF guy, and needed the latest and greatest Manufacture SVC menu Information, I definately would get the Sencore throught the ISF, as I understand they provide some added services with that package.... As a freelance calibration expert, I have not been too pressed to get the Sencore.

Jeff in Detroit/Livonia

------------------

Color Analyzer - Will Travel

--You deserve Image Perfection--

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rick peterson:
Hal,

Hmmmm!! Why didn't I do that when I had it? Now I will have to go buy one again but, if it works its worth it. I get to go play monkey in the asbestos and rafters. So if it doesn't work I'll know why I didn't do it in the first place.

Do you also get 9, 20, 50 and 56 with that?

I get 20, 62, 50 and 56 loud and clear, 7 and some channels in the 30s are watchable, 2, 4 and 9 are very bad. (The channels are listed from best to worst.) But with 2,4,7 having DTV channels, the only one that is missing is Windsor9. I don't know if this Canadian station is important to you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rick peterson:
Randy, and Jeff

I have been considering the same situation. I have tried the RS Double Bowtie indoor and the Antiference from the UK as well. Both did ok from the above ground basement location in Northville, but could not get all channels without moving them. I have an attic antenna(came with) but the last people who worked on it could not get to do all digital channels either.
Take your RS double bowtie up your attic, unplug the old ant. and connect existing wire to this RS ant. Should pull in all DTV stations without moving it around. Works for me here in Canton.

I was in the same situation as you are, tried it in the living room on 1st floor, but had to move it around to get different stations. Then I took it to the bedroom upstairs and connected it to prewired cable tv outlet (disconnected master cable in in the basement), and connected my T150 stb to the 1st floor cable outlet. Works like a charm. I am gonna move it up the attic this weekend for cosmatic reason, to keep the better half happy.

Hal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.