AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Toshiba SD3900 Progressive Scan DVD player for my Panny TH-42PW5UZ (PT-42PD3-P). Hooked it to the plasma via Monster component cables. I DID NOT notice any video improvement when watching my DVDs as compared to my current non-Progressive Scan DVD player hooked up to the plasma via A/V composite input...in fact I'd say that the picture quality was a little inferior. I DID make sure that all the setups on the new Toshiba DVD player were in place (16:9 tv, progressive scan turned on). When I powered on the Toshiba, I noticed that the logo page that gets displayed on the plasma screen looks distorted. Is this normal? Any ideas? Is it my plasma or is it the wrong kind of prog scan DVD player?

Can anyone provide feedback on a good quality prog scan component DVD player that works extremely well with this plasma (preferably under $150)?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just picked up a Panasonic RP62K this past weekend. It's a July Mfg date, and has the Faroudja Sage chip. Got it at Fry's in Fremont CA, and they had six left after I bought mine. Paid ~$170 with an optical cable. I upgraded from a Panny DVD-A120U from back in 1999. The improvement on my Pt-42PD3-P, same unit as yours was phenomenal. The welcome screen didn't impress me, but movies like Monsters Inc. sure did when using the new progressive player. I hear the XP30 is good, but don't think you'll find it at your price range.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Try Abt Electronics for the XP30 at $199.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My XP30 works quite well with the Panny42ED, component cabling--it was 189 with free shipping. Might wanna try component cabling and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I just picked up a Panny S35K for ~$95.00 from BB. Its progressive and does DTS audio out. Replaced my panny DVD-a120u also. Dramatically different picture. The DVD screen looks like crap but once the picture starts it looks great.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Definately use component cabling....you'll notice much better pq over any dvd player using composite cabling.

RP72, CP72, RP82 (if you can find one) all mate well with that panel...I have the same panel and an elusive RP82 and the pq is outstanding!

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.