Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am just starting looking at front projectors and have about 1.5-2k to spend on the projector. I have been reading about the X1 and am currently leaning that way but am concerned that HDTV will not be at its best on the X1. Anyone have any suggestions on what my best option for DVD and HDTV viewing would be in my price range?

I will have complete light control in my HT room if that makes a difference on suggestions. I am also going to go with a DIY screen made from the Do-able sheet probably painted with something (not sure what yet.)

Thanks in advance...

-Ed

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
How big of a screen are you looking at? Just about any PJ will look good on a smaller screen. If you start getting up to 8'+ wide, then you might want a higher res PJ. Also throw distances and viewing distances have to be considered....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My room is 13' wide by about 17 feet long. The screen will be going on the 13' wall. I was planning on a screen about 90-100" diagonal.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If the X1 is not for you then you might consider the Sharp M20X. It seems to be in your budget range. I have not seen the Dell XGA which may also be in your price range.

The NEC LT240Z is a better machine but is running about $500 above your top end from what I've seen. You might be able to find an older LT240/260 (not Z) discounted on closeout or something.

I'll let someone else address the LCDs, I've only seen a couple.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would personally not go with a SVGA 4:3 projector like the X1. I went LCD after several rainbows on a 2x DLP I borrowed from work (not too bad, but I didn't want to see any). I have a Panasonic LC76u and am very happy with it, but for only DVD and HD use, i'm going to suggest one of the 16:9 projectors. How about the Panasonic LC 300? Sony HS10 (can it be had for 2k?). There are other less expensive out there as well. (200, Z1).

The hard thing right now is do you get one of these, or the new models that should be right around the corner. Z2, HS20, LC500? Somebody will kill me for saying it, but this might not be a bad time to wait a couple of months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.