AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a fetish perhaps for underwater movies, action and otherwise.

I have always loved the ideas of underwater high tech bases and submarines.

What have you folks found is best?

To start it out, here are my suggestions.

The Abyss – Excellent in every way. Great concepts, realistic ideas, great cinematography, even watching the making of showing how they did the underwater filming was great.

Deep Blue Sea – cool underwater base, great shark action! Also, breaks all the stereotype rules on who lives and dies in an action film, awesome!

Hunt for Red October – good “chase†and battle scenes, though the DVD transfer left something to be desired IMO.

Sphere - Ok, it was a wierd movie with some ambiguous plots, but the underwater base was very cool.

I am hoping they turn some Clive Cussler books into movies, an outstanding underwater fiction writer

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Nothing beats The Deep for an underwater film. The underwater color filming is stunning.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Ghost Ship is cool too though not completely submerged.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Das Boat is the king of sub movies. Although I like Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide- Das boat is just so much suspenseful.

But the Abyss trumps all. Although the dog leg plot kinda throws things off.....

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Moschella
Nothing beats The Deep for an underwater film. The underwater color filming is stunning.
The Deep is the first film I thought of when I saw a question involving fetishes and underwater films. But, for me at least, it's more of a wet t-shirt fetish than anything else.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Okay, all I could think of is Jaws. Not at all underwater but when it goes down...

fuad

·
Registered
230 Posts
New transpher of The Hunt for Red October is coming, with DTS.

The Abyss is good. One everyone missed was the 1954 release of 20,000 Leagues under the Sea with Kirk Douglas .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here is a classic that I watched this week with my son:

Run Silent, Run Deep.

The old black and whites seem so tame now.

Another "kind" of water based film I've recommended recently: The Fog.

Campy and 70's, excellent transfer, one of those fun, scary movies.

Mark

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
U571, Men of Honor, and Das Boat are on my list of must views.

Crimson Tide was good, but more arguing than anything else. I can't take hearing "Unless you and I agree" again.

I must admit, I am not familiar with The Deep I don't think. Give me a synopsis please...

Run Silent Run Deep was a great book. I am a bit of a sound and video quality snob when it comes to DVD though.

Hunt for Red October - of course it is being remastered, now that I went out and got a copy of the [email protected] thing! The one I have sucks, I recommend waiting for a new transfer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Deep is a movie based on a book by Peter Benchley , who wrote Jaws. It is about a couple who find treasure while diving in Bermuda. Ms Bissett in a swimsuit is a +, Leonard Maltin gave it **.

Mark

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
The Deep is a movie based on a book by Peter Benchley , who wrote Jaws. It is about a couple who find treasure while diving in Bermuda. Ms Bissett in a swimsuit is a +

Mark
Its more like half a swimsuit with a T-shirt. Besides all the hoopla about the wet T-shirt I like the film. The underwater color photography is second to none, the plot is OK and Robert Shaw steals the show as a treasure hunter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Deep

This is the first that came to my mind. Love the wet t-shirt

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I also have a thing for underwater movies. One you should really see about diving is "Le Grand Bleu" or The Big Blue by Luc Besson. Waterworld has some cool underwater scenes, The Poseidon Adventure, and Beyond the Poseidon Adventure if you are getting desperate. If I can think of any more I will post them later. Good idea for a thread!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have to highly recommend that wet t-shirt movie again...anyone know if it's out on Superbit?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The Deep??!? Why all this obsession with The Deep? My memories of it was that is was el lame-o, excepting the T-shirt.

Nobody has mentioned Thunderball, which was actually a rather lame entry in the Bond series, but the underwater stuff was superb.

World Without Sun, an old Jacques Costeau film, was quite nice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Checkout the Big Blue directed by Luc Besson who directed Fifth Element. Interesting use of Black & White to Color. The movie is typical euro style ie. it will make you think. Also, there is some beautiful cinematography in this one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.