AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer their opinions on the best universal remote under $300? I don't want anything fancy, just something to handle some macros and control the following components:

TV

DVD

Surround sound receiver

2nd receiver

Tivo

HD receiver

CD player

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
In my opinion, the best button remotes under $300 are the Home Theater Master MX-500 or 700. The best touchscreen remote is the Philips Pronto TSU3000. You can read reviews on these remotes (and others) that will help you decide on www.remotecentral.com

·
Registered
764 Posts
Check out JP1.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Check out the Radoshack 15-2116 (or 2117) in combination with a JP1 cable. If you have time to learn how to use the JP1 interface, this is a great combo...

I had a pronto for two years, but, since I bought a 15-2116, find that I prefer using the radioshack remote...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
And the good news is that not only does the 15-2116 come in under $300, it also comes in under $30! And if you grab one while you can, the 15-2117 version is on "secret" sale for $30 right now too.

And like Eiffel said, the most important accessory is a JP1 cable, which can be had for $18 or $20 from http://www.hovisdirect.com or http://jp1.filebug.com

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I am not a fan of the JP1 remotes, but they are definetly good remotes and a lot of bang for the buck (I just like more bang). But the IRIQ or any of it's other names, is not worth thinking about.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Them's fighting words Tone! :p

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
what about the sony touchscreen remotes...i use a 2100 series and it has not failed to operate anything that iv'e thrown at it..and even the newer ones can be had for around $100 or so on ebay.

brickie

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bothanjedi
any of these remotes under $200?

thx

chris
All of them except the MX-600 and 700 are under $200. Some, like the Radio Shack 2116 and 2117, are under $40.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
what about the sony touchscreen remotes...i use a 2100 series and it has not failed to operate anything that iv'e thrown at it..and even the newer ones can be had for around $100 or so on ebay. brickie
Yeah, but it's such a horrible remote! Not only do you need to look at it to use it (same with all touchscreens) but it's so big you need two hands to operate it! Plus, unlike the Pronto, you can't change any of the button labels.

Quote:
Originally posted by bothanjedi
any of these remotes under $200? thx chris
Yup...

Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
And the good news is that not only does the 15-2116 come in under $300, it also comes in under $30! And if you grab one while you can, the 15-2117 version is on "secret" sale for $30 right now too.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the Harmony 768 and thinks it's very powerful. If you use Tivo (like I do), I think the hard buttons on the new 659 will probably work better too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My radio shack 2116 is a great remote, less than 30 dollars, and programmable via JP1. If I can do it anyone can!

·
Registered
282 Posts
While I'm still setting up my MX-700 (working too much, playing too little --- MX-700 is playing!), I already like it A LOT! I got it via mike_src (Surf Remote Control) as an open box (about $240ish). You definitely pay a premium for the MX-700, but what it gets you is FUN! Basically, you use a program on the PC and can learn commands, import MX devices (settings saved and exported from a controlled device), import Pronto CCF file settings, set up macros, etc. It has a plug that hooks out of the computer (I got a USB to serial adapter so I could use it with my laptop) and into the remote. As I learn buttons or do things I want to test, I can then click any button or macro to test the program out. If it isn't exactly right, I make the change right there and do it again...while still a far cry from regular development environments for software programming, it is very simple and intuitive and makes changes a breeze. I cannot speak for the other devices...based on the satisfaction rating, I decided to give the MX-700 open-box a try and so far, I really like it.

Ross

·
Registered
90 Posts
Save your money and get the MX500 for around $100. You will have the extra cash and an awesome remote! It is unmatched for the price and the extra functionality (unless you want RF) is a non issue for most. Put your extra $200 in a fund for a new Projector.

BTW make sure you buy from a licensed reseller. Go the HomeTheaterMaster.com and look at their online list. BlueDo seems to be the best deal and they are licensed. In fact, you can get 2 for under $200 shipped. You will never look back and you will never need or want another remote. Good Luck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Second the MX-500 recommendations. I just got one a week or two ago and a second is on the way! Absolutely best remote for the given budget.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rpgoldberg
While I'm still setting up my MX-700 (working too much, playing too little --- MX-700 is playing!), I already like it A LOT! I got it via mike_src (Surf Remote Control) as an open box (about $240ish). You definitely pay a premium for the MX-700, but what it gets you is FUN! Basically, you use a program on the PC and can learn commands, import MX devices (settings saved and exported from a controlled device), import Pronto CCF file settings, set up macros, etc. It has a plug that hooks out of the computer (I got a USB to serial adapter so I could use it with my laptop) and into the remote. As I learn buttons or do things I want to test, I can then click any button or macro to test the program out. If it isn't exactly right, I make the change right there and do it again...while still a far cry from regular development environments for software programming, it is very simple and intuitive and makes changes a breeze. I cannot speak for the other devices...based on the satisfaction rating, I decided to give the MX-700 open-box a try and so far, I really like it.

Ross
Just FYI, for anyone on a more limited budget, you can do all of this using a $20 URC-8810w or a $30 15-2116/2117 and a $14 JP1 cable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.