AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Pioneer Elite 1140 (plasma). I am now in the market for an upconvert DVD player. I watch dvds from blockbuster and do not download off the net. I will also watch dvds I already own, some of which are many years old. I will rarely use the dvd player as my cd player as I have a 5 disk Onkyo that works fine. I want the best picture possible. It seems the Oppo is the way to go.

My question is which model should I buy? Anyone know where can I get the best price with shipping? Is there any value in the 971 or 981 or can will I get the same picture quality from the 970? I called Oppo and the salesman wanted me to buy the 981, but couldn't tell my why. Thoughts?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigredviper /forum/post/0

I just bought the Pioneer Elite 1140 (plasma). I am now in the market for an upconvert DVD player. I watch dvds from blockbuster and do not download off the net. I will also watch dvds I already own, some of which are many years old. I will rarely use the dvd player as my cd player as I have a 5 disk Onkyo that works fine. I want the best picture possible. It seems the Oppo is the way to go.

My question is which model should I buy? Anyone know where can I get the best price with shipping? Is there any value in the 971 or 981 or can will I get the same picture quality from the 970? I called Oppo and the salesman wanted me to buy the 981, but couldn't tell my why. Thoughts?

The 970 is a bargain at $149. It is often recommended for plasma owners because the 971 and 981 have a Faroudja chip which may enchance macroblocking. Some people make it work, others can't. There is no risk of this with the 970.

-Bill

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Oppo 970

·
Registered
247 Posts
Funny, I was about to post the same question, though I have a Pio 1130.

I've been sitting on a $100 gift certificate for a large electronics retailer, initials of CC. I have been looking to upgrade to an upconvert player, and if I can also get DVD-A and SACD too, that would be great, but not essential. Holding off on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray till things settle, which looks like it may not, so this player is an interim.

The website shows one player that looks pretty good, the Denon DVD 757. I did a search and didn't see any reviews of discussions on it here. I looked at the Denon website and as far as I could tell, feature wise, it's identical on the surface with the 1930ci. I am open to other players they carry too.

I've read a few posts where some people were possibly having issues with compatibility with this plasma. I thought I'd look at a Pioneer DVD player to take that out of the equation, but this chain doesn't carry Pioneer. Thought it might be the Faroudja scaler?

Any advise is appreciated!

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
You ask for the best. I'd recommend the Denon 3930. If you have a lower budget, then the Oppo 970 is an excellent choice (and no MB, unlike the 981 and 971).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.