AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Mitsubishi WS-55813 Diamond (1080i) tv and I'm looking to take advantage of the 1080i on it. Right now I just have a standard def player. First I was thinking that I could use a player outputting on HDMI into the DVI input, but nothing in the manual says that this will work. It seems it accepts 1080i through the component input.

Also, the manual says: "If your DTV receiver offers both DTV component video signals and DTV RBG, HV signals, we suggest you use the DTV component video signals."

Since right now I only have standard def DVDs, is there an upconverting player that will work?

I was thinking of going with Oppo, but on the 980H which has component output it says:

"(Up-converting over component output is only available for unencrypted DVD discs such as home video and consumer-created contents. Most commercially pressed DVD discs are CSS-encrypted and will be limited to 480i/480p output over component. HDMI output is protected with HDCP and has no such restriction.)"

So this won't work will it? What's my best option besides buying a whole new TV???

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You should be able to buy the up converting dvd player of your choice with HDMI output. Connect it to the DVI input on your projector with a HDMI/DVI combo cable.

I recall that the only difference in HDMI and DVI is HDMI carries both HD image and sound while DVI only transports HD video - no audio.

Lot of opinions here about up converting DVD players and hordes of fans of many makes and models. I don't have videophile eyes and we are very content with Sony up converting players and the prices give very acceptable image at a reasonable price - to us.

Our JVC set does a really nice job up converting standard DVD if connected via component link - we were surprised at how much it improves appearance of standard dvd movies BUT up conversion via HDMI or DVI is WAY better than that.

goodluck

·
Registered
14,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro /forum/post/12950924

I've got the Mitsubishi WS-55813 Diamond (1080i) tv and I'm looking to take advantage of the 1080i on it. Right now I just have a standard def player. First I was thinking that I could use a player outputting on HDMI into the DVI input, but nothing in the manual says that this will work. It seems it accepts 1080i through the component input.

Also, the manual says: "If your DTV receiver offers both DTV component video signals and DTV RBG, HV signals, we suggest you use the DTV component video signals."

Since right now I only have standard def DVDs, is there an upconverting player that will work?

I was thinking of going with Oppo, but on the 980H which has component output it says:

"(Up-converting over component output is only available for unencrypted DVD discs such as home video and consumer-created contents. Most commercially pressed DVD discs are CSS-encrypted and will be limited to 480i/480p output over component. HDMI output is protected with HDCP and has no such restriction.)"

So this won't work will it? What's my best option besides buying a whole new TV???

Thanks.

I think your CRT RPTV does 480p natively which means you wouldn't want to upscale (unless you're bothered by scan line/screen structure). What you need is good 480p component output with solid deinterlacing. Also, component video typically works better than DVI/HDMI on analog sets. The 980 would be a possible choice depending on your budget/wants. What player are you using today?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Buy a like new refurb 970 direct from Oppo and apply the hack to it..I have the WS_55111 Diamond and it does a great job feeding it a 1080i signal via component ...As a matter of fact...it is the best picture I have seen on this set since I bought it quite a few years ago...and should extend the time I keep the set...I had plans on buying a new set this summer...but now I'll just get it professionally calibrated..

Mac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts