AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony NS-75H connected to my Sony SXRD (50A2000) via HDMI. While I'm generally satisfied with the picture quality using this combination (the 75H is outputting 1080i, FWIW), I'm considering upgrading to a new player that upscales to 1080P. Is it worth it? What player(s) would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTwaltham /forum/post/0

I currently have a Sony NS-75H connected to my Sony SXRD (50A2000) via HDMI. While I'm generally satisfied with the picture quality using this combination (the 75H is outputting 1080i, FWIW), I'm considering upgrading to a new player that upscales to 1080P. Is it worth it? What player(s) would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your replies!!

I am pleased with the Oppo 981 at $229.

Is it worth it? That depends on your needs and viewing habits (and expectations). To me, 1080p from the 981 looks very similar to 720p from the 971, with my 37" LCD doing the final scaling step. Test patterns show a better image at 1080p, but film images are a tossup. The difference might be greater on a larger screen.

-Bill

·
Registered
315 Posts
Personally I would get a Toshiba HD-A2. Sure its $400 but by some reports it upscales better than DVD players at twice the price. Plus you can watch HD DVD and really show what your Sony will do. IMO there is no reason to get an upscaling player at this point when for another $100+ you can get a HD-DVD. Yesterday I spotted a HD-XA1 'open box' for sale for $299. Great price to get a quality picture.

The i/p issue is a non issue as it results in the same picture on the Sony. The disc is mastered in 1080p and deinterlaced on the set for a perfect 1080p picture.

I have a A1 and a 55A2000 and the picture is amazing w/ HD-DVD and really nice on SD-DVD's.

-Craig

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and a Denon 3930. I think the Denon is clearly superior to the Toshiba on regular DVDs. Color rendition, the steadyness or the picture, and lack of artifacts are all well above what I get from the Toshiba.

A lot what you are willing to pay for a player depends on how finicky you are, how big your DVD collection is, etc.

For me it's worth the money.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well I would hope a $1500 DVD player would outperform an A2 with regard to SDDVD. Still though if I had to pick one it would be an HDDVD unless I had a massive DVD collection and insisted on the very best and had the money to indulge myself.

I have never seen a SDDVD on this machine but I doubt SD looks better than an HDDVD.

-Craig

·
Registered
239 Posts
Probably true as a general proposition, but I read occasional reviews of HD disc releases which refer to them as "train wrecks". Fifth Element for example, where I have specifically read statements that the SD disc was better. I have both discs, and I've never compared them, but I can say that the HD disc sucks. I think someone sneezed on the lens during the opening scene, so the disc is proof that people should cover their mouths.

The Sony Blu-Ray has gotten good reviews as an SD upconverter, but is that the best for an SXRD? Don't think so. Not for the price. And the freeze-ups. I think that part of the benefit of the Sony Blu-Ray player is its ability to output 24 frames/second instead of 60, without paying the price for a Pioneer. Though that may only be for Blu-Ray. And I don't think the SXRD can play 24 fps anyway.

Last time I checked, the SXRD is nice, but I don't think that it has any qualities which would uniquely match it to a particular upscaling SD player. So probably better answers to be found in threads addressing the best SD upscaler overall, without regard to the display model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.