·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which USB HDTV tuner to buy. The two that I found are:

VBOX USB-A-3560

Sasem OnAir

Any others?

Money is not a limitation (my company is paying :D), I just want the best in terms of reception, driver stability and tuner-app compatibilty. TSReader compatibility would be a plus.

Any experiences/opinions?

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
The Sasem is discontinued AFIAK.
Yep, and the company that originally produced it has been sold, so they aren't "Sasem" anymore.

They are supposedly working on a new model, but I haven't seen any news in the Sasem thread for a few months.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Walter,

I would have to say that the VBox USB-A 3560 is definitely the best USB HDTV (ATSC) Tuner out there. It is also the only one. Functionally it is the same as the VBox DTA-150 PCI card. In the past we have had this card reviewed, always favorably.

Remember that it is a USB 2.0 device.

Can I ask why you want a USB tuner?

Shimon Hirschhorn

VBox Communications

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Shimon,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I want a USB HDTV tuner is because I'll be developing a tuner app for a notebook computer. So I need a stable device with BDA drivers. It sounds like the 3560 is the way to go.

Walter

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I have to admit, I've never even heard of the VBox. Didn't know anyone by Sasem had a USB HD tuner.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
I have to admit, I've never even heard of the VBox. Didn't know anyone by Sasem had a USB HD tuner.
Me too. I knew that there are several SD USB tuners, but the Sasem was the only HD tuner that I knew about.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I believe Vbox was the first to introduce (or maybe announce) an MCE compatible HDTV tuner card. This was before MCE2005 was even released..

·
Registered
404 Posts
So would you still need an NTSC (standard def) USB tuner to get MCE set up in the first place? Or does the vBox 3560 do hardware based MPEG encoding of SD?

·
Registered
104 Posts
huh?

The VBox 3560 is a ATSC tuner card with software decoding. It is just like our DTA-150 with the exception being the USB-A 3560 is a USB 2.0 solution. No need to crack the case.

MCE requires the NTSC card. The other PVR software packages do not. We have some very nice bundles with 3rd party PVR software coming out, so keep posted.

I have heard that there is a hack to start MCE without a NTSC tuner. Can anyone clue me in on this?

Shimon Hirschhorn

VBox Communications
[email protected]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimon Hirschorn
Walter,

I would have to say that the VBox USB-A 3560 is definitely the best USB HDTV (ATSC) Tuner out there. (snip)

Shimon Hirschhorn

VBox Communications

[email protected]
duh...

I sure would hope an employee would not say their box sucks....?.?.?.

Not what i would say is fair or honest opinion, due to that fact they pay you.

I don't work for any company, and I can say it is a shame about the Sasem, because it is by far the best "HDTV" tuner. Not only best for USB, but even better than hardware PCI cards it has replaced here (AccessDTV). I think you can still get them from copperbox? BTW, original poster did not mention MCE (Which many users think is useless, and is NOT needed for excellent full PVR HDTV anyway). But for those that prefer MCE, the Sasem supports both NTSC and ATSC, so it is the only tuner needed for MCE to do everything.

EDIT:

Just checked and copperbox does have in stock both the Sasem and the VBox.

Looking at the VBox, and it is missing many features that the Sasem has.

I especially like being able to use one of the Sasem's inputs for QAM Digital cable + Analog cable, while using the "other input" for OTA HDTV. And the game mode is sweet too for hooking up XBox at times, with no lag...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am a happy owner of a Sasem Onair USB HDTV and it rocks. Too bad they are discontinued and no more driver updates in the future for Longhorn and WinXP 64 bit.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got my VBox USB-A 3560. I'll write my finding later on this thread.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlueFlames
I am a happy owner of a Sasem Onair USB HDTV and it rocks. Too bad they are discontinued and no more driver updates in the future for Longhorn and WinXP 64 bit.
I own a Sasem OnAir usb also (2 of them actually), and I'm also quite pleased with them. As for future driver support seeing as how it's been discontinued I guess we're not likely to see any more updates from the manufacturer. One thing to note however is that TSreader supports the Sasem and does so through a special driver that comes with TSreader. In order to use Tsreader you uninstall the Sasem drivers and install Tsreaders driver. Therefore, if the author of Tsreader, Rod Hewitt, sees fit to continue supporting the sasem and creates future versions of TSreader that work on future operating systems, perhaps that would be a way to get the Sasem working with future versions of windows.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

TS Reader works with the VBox Cats Eye USB as well (note the new name). I just spoke with Rod Hewitt and he went on how much he likes the our Cats Eye USB. In his words "it has selectivity and sensitivity... It rocks "

Yes, I am an employee of VBox, which is why I am repeating the nice things that Mr. Hewitt has to say about us. Mr. Hewitt is not employed by VBox in any way, he just likes us.

The Cats Eye USB is currently on sale at some e-tailers as is the Cats Eye 151. I can't say where, but you guys know how to search the web.

Shimon Hirschhorn

VBox Communications
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsTV
duh...

I sure would hope an employee would not say their box sucks....?.?.?.

Not what i would say is fair or honest opinion, due to that fact they pay you....
The next sentence you cut off was that it's the only USB HDTV Tuner. You missed the point of his saying it's the best. Being the only one, it's also the worst one.

Informative thread though. I remember waiting for reviews of the Sassem unit, and now it's already gone. I didn't know it had such a short lifespan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Actually the product was out over a year, they just shut down without having a replacement product ready. If you go to their website you need to be able to read Korean, but they do have a new product mentioned, the OnAir USB Creator. I unfortunately do not read Korean, so I can't really learn much about it.

I know the VBox sounds like it will do 95% of what I want it for, but that other 5% gets me. I would still like analog capabilities on my laptop without a seperate unit. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my wife to read the product page for the Onairsolution USB HDTV Creator - it sounds (and from the pics, it also looks) just like the Sasem USB HDTV product.

I guess there aren't any North American distributors yet. Hopefully they will lower the price :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Will Asus be developing a ATSC/NTSC hybrid tuner card that will work with MCE at some point in the future?

You know, something like

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/HDTV5usb.aspx

but internal to the notebook.

Man if this laptop had that and DVI (or better yet, a HDMI port) I'd be all over it like white on rice!

As it stands, is it possible to pick up this notebook without the tuner for a discount or is it a fixed configuration?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.