AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Samsung C7000 plasma that developed 3 horizontal lines, in the bottom half of the screen and from what I have read it is not repairable. So I am looking for a new tv.

I tried a Samsung HU8550 4K LED and didn't like it, so I am skipping 4K for now.

I put down a deposit on a Samsung 64F8500 yesterday from a local store, that still had a demo unit.
I was so amazed by the F8500 picture that I got to thinking about used panasonic for a lower cost.

What is the most reliable plasma available now or which one would you get if you are not in a hurry?
I am assuming Panasonic, since my Samsung failed, I would be skeptical about buying a Samsung without a warranty.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I am not big on any after-market warranties, with the exception of HDTV. I would say the risk is fairly high regardless of brand.
There is one online dealer that will do a 200 hr break in prior to an optional calibration. I think just a break in would rule out a fair number of new sets doomed to fail in a short time.

Square Trade in particular is very reasonably priced, even more so if you buy it through Costco (you can get it on a display not purchased through Costco but they will not have Costco's generous return policy).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2010 Samsung C7000 plasma that developed 3 horizontal lines, in the bottom half of the screen and from what I have read it is not repairable. So I am looking for a new tv.

I tried a Samsung HU8550 4K LED and didn't like it, so I am skipping 4K for now.

I put down a deposit on a Samsung 64F8500 yesterday from a local store, that still had a demo unit.
I was so amazed by the F8500 picture that I got to thinking about used panasonic for a lower cost.

What is the most reliable plasma available now or which one would you get if you are not in a hurry?
I am assuming Panasonic, since my Samsung failed, I would be skeptical about buying a Samsung without a warranty.
What did you not like about the Samsung HU8550 ?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What did you not like about the Samsung HU8550 ?
Probably the same things I didn't like which is why I returned mine. It had some good points but ultimately it suffered from many of the same LCD problems as any other LCD. Edge light bleed, flashlighting and clouding, motion issues, off angle viewing was lousy, and the blacks which were decent for an LCD still didn't cut it in a dark room environment.

For HALF the price, the Samsung 64H5000 plasma beat it soundly in overall PQ. The ONLY scenario where the LCD wins is in a brightly lit room but most people don't watch TV critically in a bright room so that wasn't an issue.

I will NEVER deal with LCD as a TV tech ever again. Done. Finished. They are better served as stock tickers or computer monitors. For TV, they just don't cut it.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I will NEVER deal with LCD as a TV tech ever again. Done. Finished. They are better served as stock tickers or computer monitors. For TV, they just don't cut it.
Initially, that sounds harsh, but I can fully understand your viewpoint. LCD was proof that the public in general does not really understand and appreciate the differences in technology.

But a couple of mfgs did not drop the ball on OLED which has the opportunity to bridge the gap left by plasma once the prices get more reasonable, and I have no doubt they will.

In time, OLED could become the standard for the industry once there is some education for the public along with continuous improvements in mfg efficiency and overall reliability.

I think trading 'smart' TV' technology for better PQ engineering and having purchase options for stripped down 'pure display monitors' would help also. Especially for consumers who think for themselves.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think trading 'smart' TV' technology for better PQ engineering and having purchase options for stripped down 'pure display monitors' would help also. Especially for consumers who think for themselves.
While what you're saying makes sense for the consumer, the manufacturers don't see it that way. They put SMART features in their flagship products to help bring more revenue into their company.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
While what you're saying makes sense for the consumer, the manufacturers don't see it that way. They put SMART features in their flagship products to help bring more revenue into their company.
I realize that is the reality. Some decades ago the purists with deep pockets would purchase the best panels from NEC, Panasonic, etc. used with brands like Vidikron. Now the best in terms of PQ is available at your brick and mortar store at a fraction of the prices in the 1990s to early 2000s.

But if you want the 'best' picture you need to take Smart features with it even though you have lots of alternatives you can use without it for streaming, etc. many of which are superior in terms of reliability and even ease of use.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Initially, that sounds harsh, but I can fully understand your viewpoint. LCD was proof that the public in general does not really understand and appreciate the differences in technology.

But a couple of mfgs did not drop the ball on OLED which has the opportunity to bridge the gap left by plasma once the prices get more reasonable, and I have no doubt they will.

In time, OLED could become the standard for the industry once there is some education for the public along with continuous improvements in mfg efficiency and overall reliability.

Yeah, it's harsh. I shouldn't be so rude about it. The 4K Samsung DID have some strong points and the 3D performance was truly amazing. But....as I said.... It was failing at some fairly basic PQ performance criteria which didn't sit well with me. Not for $2500 bucks. Too many compromises.

OLED. Yeah. Not sure if that's going to "run" away with it though. There are issues.

Correct. The Smart features to me are a waste since you can get all of that and more through a Roku box, Apple TV, most blu Ray players, etc, etc. I felt the smart interface on my 4K Samsung to be clumsy and rather dodgy. Yuk.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I think OLED will work out just fine. Look how long it took LCD to improve since the advent of plasma displays for the consumer. OLED is not perfect but has made a big leap in a relatively short time.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I think OLED will work out just fine. Look how long it took LCD to improve since the advent of plasma displays for the consumer. OLED is not perfect but has made a big leap in a relatively short time.
I hope so. Im rooting for it since there is no other viable tech at this point IMO.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts

was the F8500 under $2500?

if not...the only other games in town are Samsung's....H5000...and F5300/5500 series
Dont think I have seen LG's in a couple of months now...though you may get lucky with a demo unit

Warren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts