AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a receiver to power my monitor audio silver 5i (fronts), silver 10(i) center and silver FXi (surrounds) in a 15 x 15 front projection home theater.

I've been reading very good reviews of the Denon 3802 which I've seen available on and off refurbished / used on sale on ebay for $ 500 > $ 650.

I'm wondering if there are other more capable used receivers that I should be looking at. Perhaps denon models that are older than the 3802 that have a similar set of features. I'm guessing that buying used or refurbished will get me more value.

preferably something below $ 500.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you can live without DPII you could save even more and go with the 3802s predecessor the 3801 which should come in under $500.

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look at ac4l.com, they are an authorized Marantz dealer, for their used equipment (come with full Marantz factory warranties). Presently they have some excellent deals being Christmas time, check them out you will not be disapointed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to figure out how much I would lose by not having DPII.

Is it something similar to 5.1 vs. 7.1 where there are very few dvd movies out there that actually support 7.1 - and most people use their 7.1 receivers as "future-proof" way to ensure that they'll be able to upgrade to 7.1 when the time comes.

Or do most new dvd movies out today have DP II and I'd be really missing out.

Also - how does the marantz SR7200 compare to the Denon 3802.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Or do most new dvd movies out today have DP II and I'd be really missing out.
DVD movies would be encoded with Dolby Digital surround sound or DTS surround sound. Only if you encountered a 2-channel stereo movie , music track or broadcast would you rely on the Dolby Pro Logic II settings to give you 'surround sound.' If you don't mess with any 2 channel sources at all and stick basically to DVD movies, then you will not miss DPL II.

However, if you do like the surround effects with stereo material, then go for the DPL II option.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks wje

anyone know how the 3801 compares to the 2802?

sounds like both can be had for around the same price?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The 3801 has 7x105watts where the 2802 is rated at 6x90.

The 3801 has a more powerful 32 bit DSP where as the 2802 has a 24 bit DSP. Those are the major differences I can think of off the top of my head, there are probably others. The 2802 of course has DPII.

Tom

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
I have been doing a similar research for a little over a month now for a used or refurbished receiver for under $700. I have gone full circle several times. What I short listed down to was:

Denon 4800

Harman Kardon 7000

NAD T-752

The Denon 4800 can be found used for about $700-800 and is rated as a wonderful receiver. It came chock full of features and I came a hair away from buying one.

The Harman Kardon had few features but the amp was rated as a powerhouse. It seemed that it would be a horse that would last and give me years of enjoyment. It can be found for about $600 or less.

The NAD T-752 is actually a new model. It has a simplistic look, but its power rateings are the most accurate and clean. One audiophile on this site stated that when he listened to this receiver it was almost like seperates. New its $900, used if you can find one as its still pretty new, you can get it for about $600

I went to my Denon dealer and listened to a 4802. I was great, left little to the imagination. Then I went and demoed the Harman Kardon AVR 8000, it also was great. I figured that if I liked these, then the models a step down would be very similar. Then I went and listened to the NAD. There was no comparison. At low volumes the NAD was crystal clear and dynamic. It made the others just seem to be missing something. At high volumes it blew them away. While the Harman kept up, the Denon got very weak at reference level listening. But in both music and movies, the NAD was absolutly beautiful. I was able to find one on audiogon.com for $575 and it was only a few months old. Some claim that the fan in the NAD is annoying, but that was a design flaw that was corrected. At low volume you can hear it come on after about 30-40 minutes, but then it quickly spins down to almost silent operation.

Just my opinions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.