AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good scaler available on the used market in the "Under $1,000" range? I own A DVDO i-scan (not the pro), and I'm considering upgrading.

Thanks for any advise or personal insight you can share.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Choosing a Video Scaler is very important. Not all scaler will suit your TV or projector. From my experience and now selling two brands of scaler I have learn Scaler plays a very important role. I personally have use from Line Doubler to now Video Scalers. From one brand to another I have seen many difference and highlights of each one. There are still alot of other brands out there my budget can't reach but hope someday I will get the chance to use them.

With the brand I am dealing with now I am very impress of its performance. The brand is Lumagen. From its features to prices is to me one of the best scaler money can buy. I am using a Sony G70. And I also have tried on many Plasma, LCD and DLP projector all have very good results. Some may vary because of the projector limitations. But overall is a winner and highly recommend product for me.

Good luck on your findings

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
at that price, there are only two options you can go with, AFAIK.

These are the Lumagen vision and the Omega one (only a doubler). The Omega one will probably only give you marginal performance improvement over your existing setup.

I'd say that only leaves the Lumagen vision as an option.

Of course, this is the price for a brand new one, not a used one. I'd say, you'd be hard pressed to find any other scaler for that amount of money. Used CS-1 units are not all that commonplace, and a used NRS will probably cost more than $1000.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
WanMan,

Focus Enhancements released this scaler a while back. It is a lighter version of their Center Stage (CS) series of scalers. The CS-HD is limited to a set of predetermined HD resolution set for output resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p).

You can find it on their website ( www.focusinfo.com ). The unit has DVI output (not HDCP compliant), RCA connectors,

·
Registered
136 Posts
I noticed there is a CS-HD on eBay right now...

I would be interested in this if my mind wasn't already made up to get the Immersive Hydra when it comes out. The Hydra and aSimilator are in a much higher price range though. The CS-HD has a "Buy it now" for $750! Not a bad deal!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.