AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to get myself a 26"-30" LCD for SD and HD viewing and occasionally as a computer monitor.

I've been looking at the Aquos 26", Phillips 30" (it's on sale right now), and a few others.

Can you guys comment which are the best value models right now and pro/cons?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's impossible to answer that question without an intimate knowledge of what you want, your sensitivities (black level, smearing, SDE, etc.), your budget, the space it has to fit, lighting, etc. It will be better if you scan the other, similar posts on this forum before you decide. Then wait a couple of months till the new models come out and do it over again :)

Will you want a built-in ATSC tuner? CableCard? TV Guide-on-screen? Side or bottom speakers? Local or on-line purchase? HDMI and/or DVI? Think, then read, then buy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, thanks, good to know that I need to be more specific. However there are so many posts to scan and so many varied opinions that it's hard to discern what might be best for my usage.

Ideally I'd like good SD and 'amazing' HD performance. I'd like to get an upconverting DVD player to have movies at 720P. I'd prefer side-speakers rather than bottom-mount, but it's not crucial.

Purchase can be made online, or local, I have no preference.

Would be interested in DVI and HDMI optional.

Any suggestions or am I too broad still?

THANKS!

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's still pretty broad. Other factors include the cosmetics, remote control, screen glare, sound qualityetc. Your own eyes and ears are the best judge of what is pleasing to you. If you can make the rounds of Sears, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. you may be able to whittle the list down a bit (or become even more confused!). Even then, you can't be assured the sets you see are calibrated correctly or have the same lighting and quality of signal you have at home. Many of the gurus on this forum have had to return and exchange sets when their purchases turned out to be disappointing. It is probably a good idea to buy local, and make sure the set can be exchanged if you aren't satisfied.

·
Registered
447 Posts
dantm,

If Cheap is what you are after, keep an eye out on the Syntax Olevia 27" LCD at CompUSA, if you catch the sales with MIRs just right, you can get one in the high $600s.

It is an average set, that will let you watch HD signals from a STB and connect a comp to it. I am running an HD Direct TV TiVo on it as a stop gap until the 6th gen 50" Pio's hit the market.

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
122 Posts
The New 27" Westinghouse coming out looks like it has nice specs.

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...rod-27w6.shtml

I was looking at the current model of the Westinghouse and the fit and finish looked pretty bad however. Westinghouse seems to change designs and models quite often so we shall see how the next one is.

I am kind of afraid the quality control isnt too good because you can look at the side of the unit and tell the internals were just loosely put into the case and didnt really line up properly.

Sharp Acquos has a beautiful fit and finish and is japanese made however. The Samsung looked a little bit below fit and finish of the Sharp for the 268W but it looked decent overall. The upscale 269D model however had a very nice fit and finish and was just different than the Sharp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.