AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 42" display, either LCD, or plasma. I don't think steping up to 1080 is worth the money with a relitavely small screen like 42" so I am looking for a 720p display. So far I have been looking at the Vizio VP42 which is very cheap, and yet has good performance. I have also looked at the Panasonic 60, and 600 series which looks like it has better performance, but a higher price. I am looking to spend under $1500 if possible, but if a few hundred dollars more will give me a major performance boost I am all for it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
$1,500 give or take the sales tax should do it.

I have a Philips 9631 with Ambilight and PixelPlus and I love it. The Automatic FORMAT feature on Philips is very popular. Blacks and PQ are better on Pioneer and Panasonics; features advantage goes to Philips.

The Panasonic is also great (my #2 choice). Lots of folks here like Vizio, though they seem to be short on features relative to the other models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I feel kind of like a cheerleader because I've already said this a few times now, but I love my Panasonic TH-42PX6U. The picture quality is incredible, motion is smooth, and the price is right. Also the major complaint of "glare" is not what I thought it would be. It's basically the same (or better) than a regular CRT set. So if you could view the tv fine with a CRT, plasma is fine.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjm /forum/post/0

I feel kind of like a cheerleader because I've already said this a few times now, but I love my Panasonic TH-42PX6U. The picture quality is incredible, motion is smooth, and the price is right. Also the major complaint of "glare" is not what I thought it would be. It's basically the same (or better) than a regular CRT set. So if you could view the tv fine with a CRT, plasma is fine.

Agreed, good post...this 'glare' problem is vastly overstated. Ditto the 'smooth vs. matte' black bezels. I have a non-glassy matte one, but you get used to the shiny blacks after a while. No way glare from the bezels or the glass is a dealbreaker for plasma -- it's like saying the panels are 1/4" too thick.

Worrying over minutae.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can find really good deals on 42" HP plasmas. The Panasonic TH-42PX6U at Walmart has been a really good deal, although they just had a price hike on it. The other sets at Walmart: Hitachi, Philips, and Sanyo, I really don't know anything about but might be good to research. Best Buy has some current low prices on Maxent, Insignia, LG, and Toshiba most of which can be read about on this site.

As to more money for a performance boost, I'd say go with a 50" tv. Really good specials on an HP 50" right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.