AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an AVR that will give me excellent sound quality but won't have me paying for a bunch of features that I don't need. I'm currently looking at two different soundbars: Definitive Technology SSA-50, and the Polk 50 and will match either up with a sub.

I will never have a true 5.1 or 7.1 system, 3D, or any major home theater needs. All that I would like to do is be able to connect up to 4 accessories such as cable box, PS3, via HDMI and use the receiver to output to the monitor. This will be for a general living room setup and ease of use is important but sound quality is paramount.

Also, I have bought two HTIB soundbars, but would like better quailty, and have looked at the Yamaha YSPs, but they are ugly and my wife would kill me if I hung that thing on the wall. Therefore, I'm now trying to piece together a simple setup and would like any AVR suggestions as I don't want to spend more than I need to based on my current needs.

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing some digging on the forum and checking prices I think I've narrowed my choices down to two Pioneer AVRS: VSX 820 or the VSX 1020.

Both AVRs can be had a very good prices right now, however the 820 is still ~$150 (about the cost of a Harmony One controller...)cheaper than the 1020. I will never use half the features on either receiver such as the Ipod stuff as my plan is to just get everything setup and leave it alone.

Right now I am leaning towards the 820 but I do have one concern. I will be running all of my accessories via HDMI and would like to use the receiver as the switch and only run one HDMI to my TV. My TV is a Kuro so I absolutely don't want a cheap receiver effecting the picture quality in any way. If the 1020 would provide better picture quality I would get that in a heartbeat.

Please let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

either one will pass the video through unmolested....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.