AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple years, I've had a 26 inch Sharp Aquos LCD (rebranded by HP) in my dining room. It has a wonderful picture, and very good sound. I recently realized that at least half, if not more, of my total television viewing is on that set. Given that, I would really benefit from a larger screen. The ideal size would be 37 inches.

I've done a lot of reading in various threads here, but there seems to be no consistently recommended LCD that size except maybe the Samsung LN37A550, or the Panasonic Viera TC-37LZ800. Both are a bit too expensive, the Panasonic has glare issues, and the Samsung has been mentioned in two reviews as having sharpness deficit with 1080i sources. This television will only be used with a Comcast DVR/cable box that outputs 1080i, so thats a major problem.

This LCD will be used in an area that receives substantial outside light, and must be either matte, or at least non-reflective in some fashion. My primary requirements are a quality picture with deep, rich colors, and reasonably good sound. Viewing distance is six feet, so I'm a bit torn as to whether 1080P would make a significant difference in this size television.

The Sony XBR6 has a picture that I love, but at over $1k, that's simply not viable for this application. Ideally, the cost wouldnt exceed $750-800.00

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, recommendations and advice. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I'll be going down to the Circuit City closeout sale tonight and had hoped to have a few recommendations. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
You ask for high quality in your thread title, and then complain that the best displays are too expensive. You have two choices: go with a better 1080p display (Panny, Samsung, or Sony), or settle for less quality. At that size, you could save money with a 720p display (I'd recommend the same brands). Or you could save money with lesser brands. Go to the stores and look for yourself. If you don't see any difference between sets, then go with the less expensive ones. We cannot decide for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15581026

You ask for high quality in your thread title, and then complain that the best displays are too expensive. You have two choices: go with a better 1080p display (Panny, Samsung, or Sony), or settle for less quality. At that size, you could save money with a 720p display (I'd recommend the same brands). Or you could save money with lesser brands. Go to the stores and look for yourself. If you don't see any difference between sets, then go with the less expensive ones. We cannot decide for you.

So your logic is purely you get what you pay for?

Siding with the OP, there are plenty of displays out there for similar amounts of cash, some are great and others not so much... interested to see if there are an consensus' on a good quality value product.

·
Registered
72 Posts
37" panels have been de-emphasized a bit by the OEMs.

From the perspective of actual panel manufacturing, you can say the following:

Samsung has never made 37" panels in its own fabs, the panels it used in the past came from AUO. But I get the impression this size has been phased out by Samsung.

LG Display has had a good fab for making 37" for years, so the quality is probably fairly decent. Brands utilizing LG Display panels include LG, Philips, Vizio, and to some extent Toshiba. LG Display panels are notable for the S-IPS technology which differentiates them from most other manufacturers.

The Taiwanese playesr, primarily AUO, have produced 37" but increasingly found it hard to sell the amount they wanted. You will probably find these panels in older Samsung models as well as budget brands.

Sharp has had an older fab suitable for 37" panels for quite a while, but I'm not quite sure how many they produce right now. You would find these under the Sharp brand name, and possibly Sony since Sony started buying a lot of panels from Sharp (including 32", 42") since 2008.

In summary, there are different types of 37" panels. It could be worthwhile to check out brands that use LG Display panels. Be careful chosing an old Samsung model being closed out because Samsung certainly didn't make the panel itself (look before you buy).

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15581026

Thanks for your thoughts Bill. I wasn't actually asking anyone to "decide" for me, I was just looking for some recommendations as a starting point. Looking at televisions with "out of the box factory settings" in stores is almost pointless. The only truly helpful opinions come from those who have seen properly set up LCD's in peoples homes.

I also don't automatically associate "high quality" with best, or most expensive. The title of the thread wasn't what is the "best" 37 inch lcd, after all. And, as I mentioned in my original post, the Samsung and Panasonic LCD's have problems that make them unsuitable for my application.

John

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/15580309

For the past couple years, I've had a 26 inch Sharp Aquos LCD (rebranded by HP) in my dining room. It has a wonderful picture, and very good sound. I recently realized that at least half, if not more, of my total television viewing is on that set. Given that, I would really benefit from a larger screen. The ideal size would be 37 inches.

I've done a lot of reading in various threads here, but there seems to be no consistently recommended LCD that size except maybe the Samsung LN37A550, or the Panasonic Viera TC-37LZ800. Both are a bit too expensive, the Panasonic has glare issues, and the Samsung has been mentioned in two reviews as having sharpness deficit with 1080i sources. This television will only be used with a Comcast DVR/cable box that outputs 1080i, so thats a major problem.

This LCD will be used in an area that receives substantial outside light, and must be either matte, or at least non-reflective in some fashion. My primary requirements are a quality picture with deep, rich colors, and reasonably good sound. Viewing distance is six feet, so I'm a bit torn as to whether 1080P would make a significant difference in this size television.

The Sony XBR6 has a picture that I love, but at over $1k, that's simply not viable for this application. Ideally, the cost wouldnt exceed $750-800.00

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, recommendations and advise. Thanks.

John

Toshiba has a few models that fit that description. They also have a 40" 525 model that you can usually find for less than 800. It is 1080p. Their website has models listed. I believe cc stocks that one too.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
No matter what you decide to do, wait until after the superbowl on Feb. 1. You will see better pricing. There is usually a good sale after the big game. If Obama follows through on the postponement of the digital switchover, there will be a few sales of flat panels in Feb.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
Let me restate my point: the best brands based on multiple published reviews as well as threads here are Samsung, Sony, and Panny. They have better contrast (depending on the specific model), and wider angle viewing (especially the Pannys). But if the OP doesn't see a difference from other less expensive brands, then it's not worth it to him and he should go with a different brand. I would, however, stick with the major brands (the ones I already mentioned, plus LG and Toshiba) and would avoid the off brands (Dynex, Insignia, etc) since I would fear worse reliablity (as well as worse PQ). But that's just my 2 cents. I personally bought a 32" 720p Panny LCD for the bedroom and love it.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15583534

Let me restate my point: the best brands based on multiple published reviews as well as threads here are Samsung, Sony, and Panny. They have better contrast (depending on the specific model), and wider angle viewing (especially the Pannys). But if the OP doesn't see a difference from other less expensive brands, then it's not worth it to him and he should go with a different brand. I would, however, stick with the major brands (the ones I already mentioned, plus LG and Toshiba) and would avoid the off brands (Dynex, Insignia, etc) since I would fear worse reliablity (as well as worse PQ). But that's just my 2 cents. I personally bought a 32" 720p Panny LCD for the bedroom and love it.

I second that

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much for shopping for closeout deals at Circuit City. They must have moved all of the stock out of those stores in my area, as they were closed dark, and empty, today. I went to every one within twenty miles and the same situation.

I appreciate all of the advice thus far. I slowly narrowing down my search. I'm still getting very mixed opinions through various reviews that I've been reading as to whether 1080P is important in this size LCD though.

John

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did some shopping today for televisions at all available places. Granted, with Circuit City gone from here, that only left Costco, Best Buy and a small local chain.

As noted by a poster earlier in this thread, 37 inch sets are almost the "forgotten" size these days. All of the major companies seem to be expending their efforts, and technology on larger sets to varying degrees. In fact, at two different stores today, I was even able to get a lower price on a 40 inch LCD, by the same manufacturer, from the same series, than they could give me on their 37 inch model. Amazing. Even greater discounts were available on some 46 inch sets, but my space cannot accomodate anything that large. And that made it at least a little hard to turn down the deal that Costco currently has on the new, top of the line Vizio XVT series, in the 46 inch size, with a $300.00 off coupon bringing it down to an incredible price. It's not the best set available, but, dollar for dollar, the deal is tremendous, and it looked quite good after I tweaked it for a time.

So now it appears that I have to refocus on 40" models.

I did also get a chance to audition the Panny TC-37LZ800, which, honestly produced the best picture, especially in terms of depth of colors, that I have seen. Unfortunately, it's very expensive, and, more to the point, just as reflective as a plasma screen. Which means that I simply canot even consider one of their sets for my application. Same issue with an amazing deal I was offered on a Samsung 40" A650 from a stor that desperately needed a sale. The screen is also plasma shiny.

I've also started reading in quite a number of threads here about the poor, or at least questionable reliability of the otherwise very good Samsung LCD's. That's not going to make this any easier, as I definitely did not want to purchase an extended warranty for this set.

I would welcome any thoughts or recommendations on the best values in 40" screens and my research will continue. Thanks for any help in my quest. Given that we are now talking a larger size, I'm reconsidering my budget, and am considering raising it to around $900-950.00 as the top end.

John

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/15589724

I did also get a chance to audition the Panny TC-37LZ800, which, honestly produced the best picture, especially in terms of depth of colors, that I have seen. Unfortunately, it's very expensive, and, more to the point, just as reflective as a plasma screen.

Did you also get to see the TC-37LZ85? I think that model is the best value in a high quality 37" LCD. It has a matte screen so no reflections and is less expensive than the 37LZ800. I got mine from Amazon for $749 and am VERY happy with it.

Great HD, great SD, standard DVDs look really good, and EXCELLENT OFF ANGLE VIEWING. I don't know what bells and whistles the lz800 has that the lz85 doesn't but I'm not missing them.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmae /forum/post/15592344

Did you also get to see the TC-37LZ85? I think that model is the best value in a high quality 37" LCD. It has a matte screen so no reflections and is less expensive than the 37LZ800. I got mine from Amazon for $749 and am VERY happy with it.

Great HD, great SD, standard DVDs look really good, and EXCELLENT OFF ANGLE VIEWING. I don't know what bells and whistles the lz800 has that the lz85 doesn't but I'm not missing them.

I was very interested in the TC-37LZ85, based on price, the matte screen, and the quality of the other Panny's I have seen in person. However, then I read several reviews, most notably by CNET that rated it quite poorly. From the CNET review:

"Inaccurate grayscale leads to reddish tinge; can't adjust color temperature"

"Primary colors were relatively close to the HD standard, but they couldn't make up for the Panasonic's other color accuracy issues."

"The TC-37LZ85 scored below average on our standard-definition tests."

"All told the Panasonic TC-37LZ85 delivered a middling picture, displaying fine depth of black and uniformity but color temperature that was among the least-accurate we've seen from a name-brand LCD in awhile."

John

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was back out doing a followup visit today, and am really torn. One of the local chains is closing out, and literally dumping their few remaining Panny TC-32LZ800 and TC-37LZ800's way below cost. I think these sets have the best color, and picture that I've seen, but they are as reflective as plasma's and I just cannot make that work with the amount of light in the room I need the tv in.

John

·
Registered
254 Posts
I picked up a Sammy LN37A450 to upgrade our fifth wheel tv. Real nice HD image, and not too shabby with SD either. My second choice would have been the Panasonic 37LZ85, but the Sammy was cheaper and lighter which mattered for my aplication.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts