Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I auditioned a Pioneer elite 45 receiver yesterday and they had it hooked up to 4 different brands of sat/sub combos. Infinity modulus, Kef, AR, and Velodyne. Being a "big speaker, big sound" guy, I was quite impressed w/ music and movies. The infinity w/ it's 12" sub seemed the best ( and most expensive at $1700) of the bunch

Anyway, it got me to rethink this type setup and I'd like recommendations in the up-to $1500 or so price range.

How do the infinity compare to some of the factory-direct sets I have seen in the

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spongebob
Anyway, it got me to rethink this type setup and I'd like recommendations in the up-to $1500 or so price range.
Four B&W DM303's, a B&W LCR3 center channel and a $700 powered subwoofer.

Going with 2-way 6-inch satellites is probably the optimum configuration because they will play solidly down to the desired 80 Hz crossover.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You will get many opinions here.

I have Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's and HTM-200's, with a Hsu VTF-3. I think it is fantastic. If you get a VTF-2 instead, the whole system falls into your $1500 price range.

Also have a look at Aperion Audio and Axiom. Along with Ascend Acoustics, Hsu Research, SVS they are all internet direct companies with great reviews, and all have been favorably compared to speakers/subs costing much more.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'll second Ascend. Go to the site(ascendacoustics.com) and read the reviews.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone listened to the ascends and asperions side by side?
SpongeBob...

I was wondering the same thing about a month ago. I tried to digest everything I read about the two sets of speakers. The two things that came up were that the Aperions may be a little harder to drive, may be a little brighter sounding, but look nicer.

I almost ordered the Aperions because of a great deal they had on some open boxes, and the ofcourse the 30 day trial. But in the end, I went the Ascend/VTF-3 route and have not been dissappointed.

curtis

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
curtis,

What are you using to power them? What size room? Are they good for music, too?

thx

bob

(fond memories of manhattan beach :)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to ask how the ascends or asperions would compare the B&W 602's? (I keep thinking for music a 5" speaker can't cut it?)

bob

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
curtis,

What are you using to power them? What size room? Are they good for music, too?

thx

bob

(fond memories of manhattan beach :)
I am using a Marantz SR4300 and the room is about 14' x 18'. I am thinking about upgrading the receiver. I think they are great for music. I had Klipcsh KG-4's for 15 years, I outgrew the sound and they sound harsh to me now. I think the Ascends are much smoother and detailed, very pleasing and transparent.

When were you in Manhattan Beach?

curtis

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Used to spend summer there in the '70's Stewies on the beach, mmmmmmm :)

How much power does the Marantz have. I'm close to getting the Pioneer elite 45 and hope it has enough power to push smaller sattelites?

bob

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The Ascends are cheaphometheater.com's top pick for a music first set-up. I replaced Paradigm Mini-Monitors with the Ascends and hear many things in my music I've never heard before. Like fingers moving on guitar strings, breathes being taken, and sometimes I have to listen to a few bars of a song to recognize music I've heard(or didn't hear all of) for years. They also come highly recommended by The $ensible Sound and SoundStage. If you read the customer reviews at Ascend I believe there is one from someone who gave up his 602s after he got the Ascend 170s for a secondary system like I did with the Paradigms.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Used to spend summer there in the '70's Stewies on the beach, mmmmmmm :)

How much power does the Marantz have. I'm close to getting the Pioneer elite 45 and hope it has enough power to push smaller sattelites?

bob
Ahh...much has changed since the '70's....make a visit and you will be amazed!

The SR4300 is 80 watts/channel.....the Elite 45 will have no problem. I went to Hsu Research to purchase the entire system, and Dr. Hsu used a $200 Pioneer he got from Costco to drive the whole setup....it was impressive there!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Personally, I like and own speakers from the M&K line. They have some satellite/sub combos in that price range. Also, if you want to save on the sub you could always go with an SVS replacement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.