AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just about to finish my basement and am looking at a projector for a 110 inch screen. Room is completely light controlled. Grey walls , white ceiling (wife won't have it any other way)

Given the recent projectors that came out, and faux 4k it's in full force at incredible prices, which projector do you guys consider has best value, whether that be a true 4k, faux 4k or 1080p projectors.

These projectors seem to be constantly talked as the best in terms of price point. Curious what you guys think is the best value.

BenQ HT 2050 or BenQ HT 3050
Sony 45es
Vivitek 2288 or Optoma UHD60
Sony 285es

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
A lot depends on what you plan on hooking up to it and what sound system you plan to run.

In general the more it costs the better the picture and features.......so best for the price is a standard measure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot depends on what you plan on hooking up to it and what sound system you plan to run.

In general the more it costs the better the picture and features.......so best for the price is a standard measure.
I didn't ask for what gives the best picture, I ask for the best value.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Whats a good value to one person may not be for another. Why pay for features you don't need but if you need them then they are worth it. If you have a fixed 16:9 screen and projector can be flexibly mounted lens shift is a waist of money, especially power lens memory. If your not geared up for 4K and watch almost no 4K content 4K compatibility is a waste of money. If you have a light colored room/white ceiling high contrast projectors are not as much of a good value. For entry level DLP the BenQ HT1070 blown out a $499 was the best value if any are left. Mid level 1080p the Sony 45es selling for $1499 was a great value. The best value of all was the JVC RS400 blown out at $1500. For entry level 4K DLP the Vivitek as low as $1399 was hard to beat.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats a good value to one person may not be for another. Why pay for features you don't need but if you need them then they are worth it. If you have a fixed 16:9 screen and projector can be flexibly mounted lens shift is a waist of money, especially power lens memory. If your not geared up for 4K and watch almost no 4K content 4K compatibility is a waste of money. If you have a light colored room/white ceiling high contrast projectors are not as much of a good value. For entry level DLP the BenQ HT1070 blown out a $499 was the best value if any are left. Mid level 1080p the Sony 45es selling for $1499 was a great value. The best value of all was the JVC RS400 blown out at $1500. For entry level 4K DLP the Vivitek as low as $1399 was hard to beat.
I agree with you on the Sony 45es, the JVC , and the Vivitek.

I always thought the BenQ ht2050 was the gold standard for Value entry-level projectors. Isn't the ht2050 supposed to be better than the 1070?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The HT1070 is virtually the same projector as the HT2050 in a smaller case with no lens shift. At the blowout price of $499 it is 2/3rd the price. It is noisier and slightly harder to mount but a great value.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
The HT1070 is virtually the same projector as the HT2050 in a smaller case with no lens shift. At the blowout price of $499 it is 2/3rd the price. It is noisier and slightly harder to mount but a great value.
i can confirm, it is a GREAT value !

for me, the noise is not much of an issue, coming from a guy that had a 18db(silent) projector. as the movie audio drowns out the pj. i never thought i would get used to it, but only a few movies in and i have.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Best value under $500: BenQ HT1070

Then there are sale prices that occur from time to time that change things around a bit.

It is all about how much quality you want right now, and how far in the future you plan to wait to upgrade, and how much liquid capital you have available.

Some people have no issue swapping a $3,000ish projector every couple of years. Others are really struggling to justify that $500 BenQ and want to spend a lot less.

I think the Sony at $1,500 sale price is the best deal right now for a projector that can make one of the best images in a good room... for the money. That's about where my budget and justification runs out.

But, I recommend the JVC to a long list of others who have a bit more to spend and have a good theater. Certainly I would go that direction over the Epson 5040, even though the Epson is a very good model.

But, if I'm going to just really take a stab at the word 'value', then that is the BenQ HT1070. It delivers the absolute best image we have seen in a $500 projector to date. It is going to look about as good as the HT2050, or the venerable W1070, yet costs less then they did. It has tighter placement requirements, but beyond that, is a model that I would put into a less than stellar theater space and run it for several years and be happy with until the 4K debacle is ironed out a fair bit more. Would I spend a few hundred more on the HT2050 for the better optics, lens shift, and noise floor? YES! I would. But, I'm not you, so I can't speak for you. Likewise, I would spend even more on the Sony... Which I've almost bought a couple of times now for my crappy unfinished basement setup.

Value is all about the buyer, and the recommendations have to be taken with that in mind, and lead to discussions that only you can answer.

Heck, if I had the money, I might very well get the Optoma laser 4K model, but that's just not in the budget anytime soon for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Are you sure? Lumens and CR of HT1070 and HT2050 are different too.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Are you sure? Lumens and CR of HT1070 and HT2050 are different too.
Very similar. Not exact. The 2050 seems to be able to be a bit brighter, but contrast is very similar in tests. These aren't the same projector, so there are differences, but to a first time buyer, the HT1070 is about the best deal going. Not the best image, but the best deal. The HT2050 offers some real improvements for the extra cash, but only if you need/want them and if the money is worth it.

I typically would go with the HT1070 over the HT2050 for most entry level buyers.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
... to a first time buyer, the HT1070 is about the best deal going. ...
Was, not is. It was a great deal at its $499 closeout price but is pretty much sold out and no longer available from reliable vendors at that price. For example, B&H is a reliable low-cost vendor and they are currently only offering a used HT1070 for $559 which is not a good deal. The HT1070 has been replaced by the improved HT1070A which B&H is selling new for $539 -- $20 less than a used HT1070. The HT1070A should now be recommended in place of the HT1070.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm thinking the best value in a light controlled room is going to be a used 1080p JVC with lens memory, something like the X30/RS45 in the $400-$600 range. With it you get extremely deep blacks, lens memory for 2.35:1 CIH, inexpensive bulb replacement, and no regrets selling it for $200 in a couple of years once a used RS400 or RS420 can be had used for under $1000! I'm strongly considering this route instead of the Epson HC 4000 I'd been planning on because of the Epson's HDMI bandwidth limitations and since CIH is the larger priority for me.

Reactions: rekbones

·
Registered
7,206 Posts

I always thought the BenQ ht2050 was the gold standard for Value entry-level projectors. Isn't the ht2050 supposed to be better than the 1070?
I own an HT2050 and have reviewed the HT1070A (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2931198-benq-ht1070a-review.html).

The HT2050 is better than the HT1070A but the differences are smaller than you might expect. Both models have RGBRGB color wheels and both have very good color and contrast out of the box. The HT2050 has a larger, quieter, more refined chassis that leaks less light and it features a little bit of vertical lens shift-- which can be a big deal if your installation location isn't 100% square. It should also be mentioned that the HT2050 has a shorter throw than the HT1070A which means you can project a larger image from a shorter difference. This may or may not be an advantage based on your space.

It should be mentioned that, just as the HT1070 was replaced by the HT1070A, the HT2050 is currently being replaced with the HT2050A. The new model has a couple of advantages including a reduced input lag of 16ms, vertical AND horizontal keystone correction, and a 3 year warranty (up from 1 year). As for real world performance gains I don't expect any but I'll be doing a full review of the HT2050A in the coming weeks. In either case I'm looking forward to the new model as I'm an avid gamer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I own an HT2050 and have reviewed the HT1070A (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2931198-benq-ht1070a-review.html).

The HT2050 is better than the HT1070A but the differences are smaller than you might expect. Both models have RGBRGB color wheels and both have very good color and contrast out of the box. The HT2050 has a larger, quieter, more refined chassis that leaks less light and it features a little bit of vertical lens shift-- which can be a big deal if your installation location isn't 100% square. It should also be mentioned that the HT2050 has a shorter throw than the HT1070A which means you can project a larger image from a shorter difference. This may or may not be an advantage based on your space.

It should be mentioned that, just as the HT1070 was replaced by the HT1070A, the HT2050 is currently being replaced with the HT2050A. The new model has a couple of advantages including a reduced input lag of 16ms, vertical AND horizontal keystone correction, and a 3 year warranty (up from 1 year). As for real world performance gains I don't expect any but I'll be doing a full review of the HT2050A in the coming weeks. In either case I'm looking forward to the new model as I'm an avid gamer.
Awesome. Thanks for the comprehensive overview.

Would you agreed that the best 1080 projector is the 45es?

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the comprehensive overview.

Would you agreed that the best 1080 projector is the 45es?

The 45ES has superior contrast to DLP or any of the 3LCDs at or below it’s price (you have to get to the 5040ub before 3LCD can compete there).

Obviously, the Sony is 1080p only which means it lacks support for 4K or ‘enhanced’ resolutions, lacks support for HDR and lacks support for WCG. And while the Sony has much more flexibility in terms of lens shift than 4K DLPs near it’s price, Epson now offers motorized lens with memory starting in their HC 4000 which retails for 2k or less.

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like the Sony 45ES. I flirted with buying a 45ES and 40es before that for the last 3 years. But It’s becoming increasingly difficult to recommend when it’s clear the industry is in the same transition as flatscreens had a few years ago. Back when 4K flatscreens were just beginning to come out I bought one of the last great 1080p only plasmas and, for what it’s worth, I mostly don’t regret that purchase. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts