AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list who you think the top 5 speaker manufacturers are when you consider bang-for-the-buck, and why. E.g:

#1: Brand a - because they look cool

#2: Brand b - because they have the most bass with the smallest enclosures

#3: Brand c - because they come with a free projector

#4: Brand d - because they are made of glass

#5: Brand e - because they are free

It seems like there are so many brands and everyone's got their own opinion. I want to see if there's any consensus regarding who's got the best speaker lineup for the least amount of money.

When you're thinking about "best" consider these qualities:

-decent construction

-flat frequency response

-good imaging

-reputable company

Thanks!

-Joel

·
The Village Idiot
9,536 Posts
While Emotiva doesn't have the cheapest speakers made - they do have very good sound at very reasonable prices. I've been in this hobby for over 40 years and these are a couple of notches above what you pay for them. Construction is solid and the fit and finish is first rate. I have a 5.1 setup of their speakers powered by their UPA-7 amp and an Emotiva LMC-1 preamp processor. It sounds incredible. The sub is not an Emotiva - its an Elemental Designs A5-350.

My HT sounds incredibly good to me. And in the end thats all that matters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Infinity, Polk, Energy, take your pick all of those companies offer products with excellent performance at a very competitive price, just do some research first, because with Polk and Infinity it can quickly get into a game of hit or miss.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
PSB, era, Energy, Magnepan, and Ascend. All are well built, I like several models from each of the brands and are just plain old enjoyable to my ears.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I think Paradigm leads the pack in terms of value for dollar and performance, in most of their price categories. They have a bit of a leg up on North American competition in that there's a fair bit of R&D and manufacturing tax incentives up here. Many Canadian companies take advantage of this to produce excellent speakers for the money, but few do everything in house like Paradigm. PSB for example is a Canadian company that also makes super high value speakers but has taken to going over-seas for assembly to reduce costs.

All in all though I'm of the mind that speaker technology isn't all that complex, and is a fairly old science by today's standards so competition is fierce.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I vote for Rocket RS850s

1.They Look amazing, bentwood cabinets, 100lbs, real wood veneer!

2.They sound amazing, outclassing the Paradigm Studio 100s (IMO and several others opinions as well.

3.They're on sale for $999 and you'd pay 3x that for the look and sound in most cases.

4. The bass kicks you in butt and the highs make you forget you're butt hurts.

As you can tell..I own them, but only after 10 years of trying and listening to different speakers.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Internet Direct due to the lower overheads and lack of a middleman. Barring that, name mass-market brands that are on end-of-line clearout. Speakers don't change that much (compared to electronics) so when a brand brings in a refreshed line that usually only changes cosmetics, they fire-sale the old line. Polk and Energy are doing this at the moment.

·
Registered
818 Posts
How would SVS rate?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 /forum/post/17378984

How would SVS rate?

SVS gets plenty of love in many HT forums. Better known for their subwoofer but overall, a great bang for the buck for their HT package for around $1K.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'll second the plug for Paradigm. I have listened to a wide variety of speakers and always come back to Paradigm for their bang for the buck.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/17352976

I vote for Rocket RS850s

1.They Look amazing, bentwood cabinets, 100lbs, real wood veneer!

2.They sound amazing, outclassing the Paradigm Studio 100s (IMO and several others opinions as well.

3.They're on sale for $999 and you'd pay 3x that for the look and sound in most cases.

4. The bass kicks you in butt and the highs make you forget you're butt hurts.

As you can tell..I own them, but only after 10 years of trying and listening to different speakers.

What expensive speakers would you say the RS850s compare with? A lot of people make these types of comparisons by stating a speaker that costs only X dollars compares favorably to speakers that costs 3x as much, but nobody ever mentions what expensive speakers they actually compare with.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Paradigm, BG Radia, TSC, Outlaw Audio/HSU (subwoofers)

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Biggest return for $ invested at the less expensive end of the market is second hand. At the high performance end, it's typically DIY.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn /forum/post/17380806

What expensive speakers would you say the RS850s compare with? A lot of people make these types of comparisons by stating a speaker that costs only X dollars compares favorably to speakers that costs 3x as much, but nobody ever mentions what expensive speakers they actually compare with.

The funny thing about something like this is that there will always be a expensive speaker that sounds like crap so you always have a comparison to use

I would say if you poll the members that have heard the RS850s vs the Salk SongTowers, most would say the Song Towers are better....they are I think only $500 more ($1000 vs $1500) and both seem to be two of the more hyped speakers on a forum like this.

Personally, I think pure BANG FOR YOUR $$$ is DIY. If you have some minimum skills and tools then for $1500, you can build something like The Statements or even my higher SPL, low distortion HT speakers which put those other choices to shame on here

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would say Energy, Infinity and Polk. but that is at the price range I buy, setting a price range would make this more specific. And yes I have heard everywhere that DIY beats everything on the High end. anyone has a link for speaker's DIY for starters, I'm pretty good with electronics and have decent carpenter skills so I might give it a shot...

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I think big thing to remember is that even the "best" speakers that money can buy will sound terrible in a bad room, and mediocre at best in the average room.

Spend a little time and a little money and add some acoustic treatments to your room...you'll be surprised at how much better even "bargain" speakers can sound.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts