AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, I just found out about "pro power" amplifiers.... Talk about tons of power CHEAP ! {Crown XLS 402 = 450wt x 2 into 4ohms, at .1% distortion, for $250 !!!} {taboo ? cool, that makes them even more attractive to me ;-)

So, here's the deal, I find that building ported and tuned sub enclosures is fun, easy, and cheap.

Only a few things I need to work out; I need to find a couple good, solid, nice sounding 18"s (4 ohm) that can handle 450wt cont, and maybe 1200wt peaks. I might consider four 15's, (probably 8ohm then) depending on price, and of course, sound. Maximum low frequencies are most important, and here's why....

The last thing I need to figure out is, since this sub enclosure will be used in conjuction with a "complete" home theater, which already includes a nice little 12" powered sub, which should put out plenty of mid-base, and even 'some' decent sub base down to 30Hz or so, I need to figure out how I can cross this 'super-sub enclosure' over, independantly of the rest of the system, and at a VERY low frequency... like somewhere between 35Hz and 20Hz ??? (keeping it simple and cheap)

Suggestions please,

Thank you,

Fish

PS, I find that seperate subs for car audio are much easier to come by, than seperates designed for home use. What would be the difference, going by end results ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.