AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon i will have that 50 plasma but no tuner .I have a 3 year old panny vcrI could use as tuner but are their better vcr tuners?Perhaps an s-video vcr so I can use an s-cable as a connection to plasma.Any ideas?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Analog VHF/UHF as you get OTA or cable is composite video, so a VCR with S-Video will get you nothing (unless you are watching S-VHS tapes).

IMHO, a lot of analog tuners look very similar to each other since composite video is comparitively crappy to start with. That being said, some VCR's have a feature called ghost reduction, which can be a big help. My JVC VCR's tuner uses ATSC A49 if the station is broadcasting with it.

Needless to say, your best tuner would be a high definition digital one if you are fortunate enough to live in an area with lots of HD content OTA.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but not much high def here

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
mattg3 --

You might consider the TVP-1000 card, if you are going with the 503cmx, as it has a built-in NTSC tuner with PiP, and a very good scaler/de-interlacer. You also get the benifit of having the output of the tuner going straight into the video section of the card/panel.

-- Gary

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I bought a JVC 5900 SVHS deck. The s-video is worse than the composite feed to the plasma. The reason is most likely that the panel (42" Panny) has better Y/C separation performance than the VCR. But even still, I bought it under the presumption that with a more expensive unit will come a better tuner... And I've been happy with it for the most part.

Since then I have upgraded to an HS2 HDD and DVD recorder which I run component into the TV. FWIW, the performance of the tuner in this machine (worth about $800 or so) is not *much* better than the JVC tuner. There's only so much a tuner can do for analog cable I guess. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just a curious question, but why do you need a tuner? I can understand it if OTA via UHF/VHF or running basic cable without an STB, but with a plasma, you just don't expect "rabbit ears."

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right srgilbert You just get used to turning on the set and there is the picture

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattg3
Your right srgilbert You just get used to turning on the set and there is the picture
LOL! Well, you can kiss that goodbye, and welcome to the world of HT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.