AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best card to use with a CRT HDTV as your only monitor. I have heard that the new AIW 9700's have component output from the factory. I really dont want to mess with dscaler and trying out different freq.'s unless I have to. I also am on a budget. Thats also one more reaseon why I am using the TV as a monitor. One less thing to buy. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It depends what source you are talking about. Cable/sat tv from an outboard box? DVD from an internal dvdrom drive?

Even if the new AIW has component outputs, the res will be limited to 480p for anything with macrovision (virtually all DVD's). 480p is not high enough for most CRT's. What unit are you using?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheapskate
What is the best card to use with a CRT HDTV as your only monitor. I have heard that the new AIW 9700's have component output from the factory. I really dont want to mess with dscaler and trying out different freq.'s unless I have to. I also am on a budget. Thats also one more reaseon why I am using the TV as a monitor. One less thing to buy. Thanks for any suggestions.
It doesn't really matter if the video card has component outputs or not. The resolution will be limited by your TV, in addition to the macrovision stuff. Most CRT TVs are not designed to be computer monitors and so will support only 640x480p and 720x480p resolutions. I don't know about 1920x1080i resolution, though. So you'll still need to mess around with Powerstrip and all its associated complexity. If you don't want to mess around with the complexity, then I recommed you buy a real computer monitor with DVI or VGA inputs that meets your size requirement.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
It depends what source you are talking about. Cable/sat tv from an outboard box? DVD from an internal dvdrom drive?

Even if the new AIW has component outputs, the res will be limited to 480p for anything with macrovision (virtually all DVD's). 480p is not high enough for most CRT's. What unit are you using?
I am using a Samsung 27" HDTV. The source will be a Fusion HDTV card. I wanted to use it for DVD's and HDTV. I really dont record normal TV but I do want to record HDTV and watch it on the tv via the HTPC. ALso I wanted to use it for web browsing and a visual interface for looking at MP3's etc. Thanks for the input so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.