AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been several threads in the past about this, but I haven't seen one lately. Now that Nvidia has released a few cards that seriously challenge ATI's reign, I'd like to know what people think is the best video card for an HTPC. The criteria I would suggest would be DVD decoding, gaming, and fan loudness (if it has a fan at all.) Some features of the cards that might be worth noting is whether or not the cards support VMR9, Dvxa, TV-Tuner, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
If you've got the money to burn, ATI 9800 pro hands down winner. Fan is much quieter than the new NVIDIA FX card. Its faster than the NVIDIA as well. It will not be as driver compatible as NVIDIA, but for the most part games will not have too many problems with it. I have 2 computers and use 9700 pro for 80% of my gaming, the other 20% have ATI driver issues and I'm forced to use the slower NVIDIA 4600ti card. The 9800 card is only worth it if you are running your games at the higher resolutions, otherwise the benchmarks are very similar. Alot of data on the boards here for the ATI cards and powerstrip as well, if you plan to go that route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
719 Posts
Agreed (although I haven't had problems with my 9700 pro). If you want to save a bit, you can wait until the 9800 pro comes out and pic up an OEM'd 9700 pro. Just my 2 cents.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top