Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to upgrade my current VGA card with a DVI card for a PC which is mainly used for entertainment purposes (DVD, MP3, TV).

I needs to be a dual or possibly a triple out card (but not required).

The main display is a DVI LCD. I would like to use it as the main console.

If I play a DVD I expect to see the video only in a small window, giving me direct access to other controls.

The second DVI out is for the projector itself. On that out I expect always a full screen video or PC screen (for gaming).

It would be nice but not required to have a 3rd analog composite out for an older TV in an other room (would expect full screen video on that).

How good are the Matrox Parhelia's?

What other cards should I consider?

Metropole

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the Parhelia actually have a mpeg chip on it?

How does it work together with a TV tuner such as the Hauppauge 250/450?

ATI writes in the specs that they support all HDTV formats. What does that actually mean for a graphic card if I output VGA or DVI? It seems that the resolution is higher than HDTV.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matrox talks about 10-bit decoding for DVD.

They are claiming they are the only ones. Is this true?

Does this matter for the DVI ouput?

Still not sure if I understand how a video card is used with a SW DVD player. Wouldn't the software do all the decoding and just make limited use of the graphic card?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Metropole for HTPC purposes I think you should use the ATI 8500 or greater family either the All in wonder option (with TV but only 2 monitor support DVI/VGA AND S video output but not DVI+VGA) or the simle cards with no onboard TV but three monitor support. You should be able to find much help regarding Ati here in the forum which I don't think that happens with MATROX. You should also check the forum for anyone having already connected the HS10 with a matrox card to make sure that it actually works.... I have a HS10 connected via DVI to a ATI AIW 8500 and it works fine Check for help the thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.