AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a fanless 9600 non-pro connected with the componenent dongle. There is a DVI input on the Tosh but I have my Dish 811 connected to that and I'm not sure how well it handles DVI input through a HTPC. So, in order to upgrade my card to an nVidia it sounds like I would have to go back to a transcoder. The question is would the gains I make with the nVidia upgrade be lost by having to go through a transcoder?

· Registered
1,098 Posts
You may want to search the forum for Toshiba's DVI compatibility with graphics cards. I bought a Toshiba and returned it, one of the reasons was that I could not get it to work at any resolution higher than 640x480

· Registered
5,055 Posts
ive got a toshiba 46hm84 DLP, i am going ot try HTPC via DVI-to HDMI on the TV. as a last resort, I have component cables out on my ati radeon 9700 pro that I could try (but I don' tknow..i wish DVI would work..evryone says it dosent...I can't return the TV, bought it online).

-ELmO

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty happy with the ATI dongle but there doesn't appear to be an nVidia counterpart. I also don't want to take my HD reciever of the DVI input. So, if I go with nVidia then it looks like I will need a transcoder. I saw a significant improvement when I switched from the transcoder to the dongle. On balance I don't know if the improvement I get from the nVidia card will compensate for any loss of quality from going back to a transcoder.

· Registered
567 Posts
By all means, stay away from DVI on this model of Toshiba, unless you want to have an extreme amount of time trying to get your resolution setting just right. Stick with the ATI dongle and just upgrade you card to a 9800 or X800.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.