AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to have an opinion. Some swear by Sonic. Others claim that the new WinDVD filters now are the best. Others love Nvidia, and many are still enamored with Power DVD.

Which looks the best? Let's assume that all filters are/will work correctly with ffdshow (big assumption with WinDVD atm).

Please do not vote unless you are using Zoomplayer.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Quote:
and many are still enamored with Power DVD.
I thought that the only one still using Power DVD on this forum was Cliff Watson! ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
I was using Sonic until the most current update to WinDVD PVR was released.

It has the absolute best looking decoder that I have ever seen.

No red chroma problem in software decode, which makes it ideal for use with ffdshow.

Vern

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vern - after making all the fixes to the registry that you suggested and getting the new filters, and using default directsound or reclock... WinDVD video w/ffdshow still freezes. Not immediately, as was the case with the older drivers, but inevitably after about 30 mins.

WinDVD new codec may look the best, but I have given up using them until the ffdshow incompatibility if fixed.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping for more votes.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
dandrewk,

I am with Vern. WinDVD is way out in front.

I have found that WinDVD with ffdshow will not tolerate dropped frames.

The first time a frame is dropped playback freezes.

You should be able to restart play by seeking forward or back.

If you wind back the filters in ffdshow or get a faster system it will work without freezeing.

Regards,

Owen

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that info Owen. That explains why it sometimes runs 30-45 minutes without freezing, other times only a couple of minutes.

Already have a good system. Only thing I could scale back in ffdshow is blur.

Unless you want me to get rid of resize sharpen?

Not bloody likely.... :D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
For those who think WinDVD is better than sonic+ffdshow - what video card are you using?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JerryW
For those who think WinDVD is better than sonic+ffdshow - what video card are you using?
I'm using a retail boxed Radeon 9700 Pro. Without FFDShow, Intervideo alone is able to blow Sonic out of the water already - but with FFDShow, there is simply no competition at all. The most obvious place to see the difference is on any Pioneer released title, the 'Pioneer' logo at the start of the disc is crystal clear, has a beautiful color transition, and is detailed enough to show the dropout shadow effect inside of the red text. When using Sonic, all you get is a blocky single colored red logo with no shadows...it's all lifeless and dull.

·
Registered
343 Posts
@dandrewk:

use a DMO filter with the windvd filters. Like the refine DMO effect for instance. That will cure the freezing problem once and for all. A better system will probably not help a lot.

The only thing that so far does not work here is to get the windvd filters and ffdshow AND the dmo filters to work with media files. That means freezing is fine for DVD´s but not for media files so far. Will ask Blight about this.

midiboy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've tried every which way to get windvd to look better than sonic, both using ffdshow and sonic wins every time. I am using the .26 not the .58 video filters for Windvd but that should'nt make too much difference as people were raving about the Windvd picture before the .58 filters were posted. To my eyes the picture under sonic is sharper and the colours a bit more vibrant and solid. Windvd looks a little washed out by comparison. Having said that , there is not alot between the two. I am using a 92" screen with a 8" crt projector for my testing. Maybe I'm missing something.

Also how do I know if I am using progressive or forceweave in Windvd. There doesn't seem to be a registry setting except fpr BOBWEAVE which I set to 0 .That might make a difference.

Damien

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Radeon 9700Pro here as well.

Damien:

The image quality of WinDVD clearly beats Sonic when you are not using HW decode mode, which makes it clearly superior for those of us the use FFDSHOW.

In HW decode mode, you may see different results.

Vern

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Vern,

Thats the odd part of it. I am also a ffdshow user and have compared both using ffdshow. I only have a Radeon LE. Would that make a difference?

I remember I had to forceprogressive in the sonic registry to get a better picture in software mode. Is the same option available in Windvd? It is really bugging me that I cant see what you guys see.

Thanks

Damien

·
Registered
502 Posts
Is there a thorough step-by-step tutorial for setting up zoomplayer with windvd codecs and ffdshow? I just don't know where to start...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too would love a thorough step-by-step guide. I've tried to set up ffdshow with zoom player for DVDs and it just isn't working! I feel like I must be missing some critical bit of information...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Owen:

Have you tried this?
Code:
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\ SOFTWARE \\ InterVideo \\ Common \\ VideoDec]
"NOVIDEODROP"=dword:00000001
BTW, do you guys want another poll for deinterlacing performance? I guess that ffdshow + DI_MoComp2.dll will be the king.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
This whole 'poll' for the best video filter is nothing but 'baiting'. Obviously the results are meaningless. To be valid everyone voting would have to have or have tried all 4 codecs. Some displays don't even have ability to show a difference even if one exists.

It never fails, whenever someone waves a red flag, all the 'bulls' come out charging. However if you find this kind of thing entertaining (though probably not very enlightening) have fun!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uhhh, most of the people posting here (including me) DO have all the Codecs, and we DO try them all and DO compare them.

So, I would hardly call this baiting. It is an informative discussion of what the best filters are. We all share the same goal of wanting to get the best out of our system. Apparently you do not. Either that, or you are deliberately bating yourself.

Just because you have an obvious chip on your shoulder does not give you the right to "come out charging" here with condescending remarks. Take a pill.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
ahh bs... that's what this forum is for. Get other peoples opinions... you're adult enought to take it or leave it.

...and for the record I've tried all 4. I would imagine a number of people on this forum have.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.